• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CEPs

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I've seen a lot of instructors here at South Field with CEPs for their helmets. My question is, should I attempt to get my hands on some of those things now or am I going to be able to easily get my hands on some when I get to the RAG/Fleet?

I wouldn't even bother unless you're having difficulty hearing things.

My squadron has placed some orders for CEPs and I'm sure others do too. Just talk to your PRs when you get to your fleet squadron. Sometimes, you need to get a couple of guys together so they can place a larger order, but it's normally pretty easy.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Does the money flow differently for the Navy? Or is it pretty much the same story on the Green side?

teabag53

pilot
Same story on the green side. Having your squadron doc asking for them with/for you is a handy arrow to put in your quiver.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
As the folks in the PR shop if they have them available to install. If they do, it can't hurt to ask.
If they don't you have two choices:
1) Wait until you get into the RAG and try again there.
2) Buy them yourself and wait until you run into a PR who can do the work.

I would recommend against trying to do it yourself, if you screw it up, you'll be might have to do the 'carpet dance' explaining...

teabag53

pilot
I'd avoid buying them yourself. They fall in the nice-to-have vice need-to-have category. I didn't get any until my last year in the fleet and managed to survive.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I like having them, and they are R&I required (or recommended?) here. I wouldn't spend money on them, but I am pretty sure NavAir is putting a big push to get it, with the explanation given that the reduction in hearing loss would pay for the device itself (disability payments).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Night and day difference in the -45, though our radios may suck more than most so I couldn't say how much it would matter in the T-34/TH-57 for the Whiting folks.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I would suggest trying to get ANY gucci shit you can in flight school. I told the NVG guy at south field my helmet sucked and was uncomfortable when I was checking out NVGs in the NVG shack. He drove me over in his golf cart to the PR shop, disappeared and came back and handed me a brand new zeta liner immediately. No questions asked.

Now, fast forward to the RAG, where we get our second gear issue. I ordered a set of Brown Bellevilles (maybe 2 sets?). I am 2 flights away from RAG-complete and sans brown boots. Needless to say the supply system (as fucked as it may seem) is a lot better in the TRACOM.

Raptor2216

Night and day difference in the -45, though our radios may suck more than most so I couldn't say how much it would matter in the T-34/TH-57 for the Whiting folks.

I dunno, never really felt a huge difference myself. I went back to using ear plugs and just turning the radios up. The biggest problem was having the CEP ear piece shift as you put the helmet on and that shit was painful if it shifted during the flight.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I dunno, never really felt a huge difference myself. I went back to using ear plugs and just turning the radios up. The biggest problem was having the CEP ear piece shift as you put the helmet on and that shit was painful if it shifted during the flight.

You do raise a good point. That said, I have noticed nearly all the dudes from the Miramar RAG (while they were out here) use foamies.....perhaps a cool Marine jet guy thing? :p

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
PR removal. The wires to the earcups are soldered in. For those that are having issues with the CEP earpieces moving around I highly recommend getting the molded earpieces. They work with the normal CEP setup it just replaces that crap foam part with a rubber piece custom molded for your ear. Cost around $120 and any AMSO can do the fitting. Luckily our squadron bought them for us.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I would suggest trying to get ANY gucci shit you can in flight school. I told the NVG guy at south field my helmet sucked and was uncomfortable when I was checking out NVGs in the NVG shack. He drove me over in his golf cart to the PR shop, disappeared and came back and handed me a brand new zeta liner immediately. No questions asked.

Now, fast forward to the RAG, where we get our second gear issue. I ordered a set of Brown Bellevilles (maybe 2 sets?). I am 2 flights away from RAG-complete and sans brown boots. Needless to say the supply system (as fucked as it may seem) is a lot better in the TRACOM.

As a CAT 1, you're low man on the totem pole for gear. Things will be slightly better in your fleet squadron. I don't know if Guam is the same as HI, but it was hard to come by stuff in HI that is very easy to come by now INCONUS just because there's a supply point at the main bases (San Dog, Mayport/Jax, etc).

The best way to get gear you want? Suck off the Reserves teet. Lots of money there.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I like having them, and they are R&I required (or recommended?) here. I wouldn't spend money on them, but I am pretty sure NavAir is putting a big push to get it, with the explanation given that the reduction in hearing loss would pay for the device itself (disability payments).

Yeah, but disability is not "easy" to get payments for exclusively.

A 40dB shift is crazy.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefits/exams/disexm05.htm