• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cell Phone Coverage on Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

lthackston

NeoCortex said:
I have Cingular, anyone know how it works there? Also at Whiting and CC?

I'll probably be switching to Cingular at the end of OCS from TMobile, so yes, does Cingular work well? As for OCS itself, I think I'll stick to the calling card.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I'm with T-Mobile and was during OCS. There are one or two dead zones on NAS Pensacola for T-Mobile, but pretty much you have coverage everywhere you'd really want coverage (including the OCS parking lot). Of course, you're not supposed to use your cell phone during OCS so make sure you follow the rules.

Other than that, T-Mobile works well in and around Pensacola.

BTW, calling cards are good to have at OCS.

stevew

Now that Cingular and AT&T have merged does anyone know if any of the bases are getting better GSM service or is it still wise to stick with Verizon service which people seem to say works the best on base.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I heard Verizon has some kind of contract with the military to eventually put their tower on most bases. Anyone else hear this? Could be a crock, who knows.

Anyway, I have verizon, and I've had great coverage everywhere, except in my house on base at Corpus due to the fact the house was painted with lead-based paint.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just switched from Cingular to AT&T. I know they merged and all, but AT&T gave me a much better deal (military discounts). I got 39% off my phone, 15% more minutes for 15% less money, 10% off accessories, and I am limited to a ONE year contract. I thought the deal was too good to pass up, plus most of the people I call frequently are on AT&T, so those calls are free. If coverage sucks by the time I end up on base then I will just switch. The GSM networks are good if you're in the right areas, and they will only be expanding. Plus, now you can keep your number, so that made my switch that much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.