• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CEC Reserves DCO Selection Board

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Howdy! This might be personal, but what kind of waivers do you need? When I read the program authorization it says that with an ABET accredited engineering tech degree you do require at a minimum EIT registration, which you have, and then it is evaluated on a case by case basis. Is that what you mean by waiver? Has your recruiter submitted your academic transcripts etc for review? I don't know how close you are to getting your PE but that would be one of the few things that would make your application stronger.

I'm not a recruiter but I am a CEC DCO myself. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Jar Jar

Thanks for the fast reply. I have noticed a lot of your posts being this interested in CEC. Anyways, my OR says that i still need a waiver for the technology degree regardless of EIT. Which i understood it the way you said, case by case with EIT. Didnt really say a waiver was needed directly i suppose. I might need to get a medical waiver for a concussion back in 2002/2003 but didnt need one when i went in the first time. So waiting to hear from MEPS. As for the PE, far away. One of many reasons I want to join is assistance with getting a PE. My current work is adamant that I am not an "engineer" because my Tech bachelor's, so they wont sign off on the experience.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Well, I'm happy to help where/how I can. I am not sure though how much help being a CEC DCO will help with your PE. We don't really do 'engineering'. It is more project management type work....lots and lots of administrative stuff. Is it awesomely amazing and fulfilling? Heck yeah. Do I learn a lot professionally? absolutely. Did it actually help me in any way when I was preparing for the PE? No, not really at all. I'm not even sure how it would count towards experience as you are only on orders a few days a year. Something for me to ponder...lol

Jar Jar

I am also slightly wondering this as PE requires actual engineering and not supervisory or such. But ill deal with that later. PA or somewhere i read that a PE is required for advancment into O4 or O5 range. I would like to hope that in 14+ years i can be around that rank so i would need to get a PE sooner or later. Least it gets my foot somewhere. Even if it doesnt count I enjoy the managment/project mamagement/ industrial management sound to CEC so that why i choose CEC over EDO.

I looked it up quick but according to navfac.navy.mil cec training and career progressing, cec officers are required to progress towards PE and experience towards registration will be gained while working....

However back to on topic, I am really looking forward to it but am jist wonder on my chances since the OR is making it sound almost impossible.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the fast reply. I have noticed a lot of your posts being this interested in CEC. Anyways, my OR says that i still need a waiver for the technology degree regardless of EIT. Which i understood it the way you said, case by case with EIT. Didnt really say a waiver was needed directly i suppose. I might need to get a medical waiver for a concussion back in 2002/2003 but didnt need one when i went in the first time. So waiting to hear from MEPS. As for the PE, far away. One of many reasons I want to join is assistance with getting a PE. My current work is adamant that I am not an "engineer" because my Tech bachelor's, so they wont sign off on the experience.

If you need waivers this may not go well, one of the main things about the DCO program is to get people actually working in the field that they would be a DCO in and that they have the tech degree, the DCO program gets so many applicants that even if they were to give you a waiver for the degree you would have a difficult time trying to actually get selected.

What do you specifically do in the civilian sector?

Jar Jar

I am a nuclear equipment operator such that I monitor, test, maintain nuclear plant equipment using multiple different engineering principles. I use parts of mechanical, electrical, electronics, radiation, industrial, safety engineering disciplines combined eith component monitoring to ensure nuclear power plant equipment is working at peak efficiency, safely. A bunch of other crap included. Observing other departments doing work, electricians, mechanics, review plant modifications as part of pant mod teams. Safety tags, print reading.

I believe its similar to a Field Service Engineer. The next step up in my current chain of command at the plant is a senior reactor operator which is similar to the facilities management aspect of CEC.

Last edited:

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I am also slightly wondering this as PE requires actual engineering and not supervisory or such. But ill deal with that later. PA or somewhere i read that a PE is required for advancment into O4 or O5 range. I would like to hope that in 14+ years i can be around that rank so i would need to get a PE sooner or later. Least it gets my foot somewhere. Even if it doesnt count I enjoy the managment/project mamagement/ industrial management sound to CEC so that why i choose CEC over EDO.

I looked it up quick but according to navfac.navy.mil cec training and career progressing, cec officers are required to progress towards PE and experience towards registration will be gained while working....

However back to on topic, I am really looking forward to it but am jist wonder on my chances since the OR is making it sound almost impossible.
A couple of things
1. Why does the PE require actual engineering and not supervisory? Well, what is accepted varies from state to state. Look into your own state requirements as to what they will count towards experience.
2. Yes, a PE or RA (registered architect) is a requirement for advancement. There are several other items that are 'required' and others that are 'break outs'. Don't worry about advancing yet because you won't even be in zone for promotion to O4 until you ahve about 10-11 years of commissioned service. O2 and O3 promotions are basically automatic at years 2 and 4 respectively. Bottom line, you have a LONG time before you need to worry about competitive promotions.
3. What you read likely refers to active duty CEC officers. Many AD officers I know have used their time towards being PE eligible. What we do as reservists is different htan the AD though. Trust me when I say that very little of what I do as a junior reserve CEC officer (I'm an O3) would I consider worthwhile experience for the PE (which I have). You simply do not spend enough time as a reservist doing engineering. The usual drill weekends are spent doing Navy administrative stuff like PHAs, PFAs, GMTs, etc. When you get to your unit you are doing unit specific training and evolutions. Great training but not engineering. Non-battalion units might do work that is more in line with PE applicable work but in your first few years you will be heavily focused on Battalion life in order to get SCW (seabee combat warfare) qualified--another requirement for promotion!

Please don't take that as me trying to talk you out of moving forward with an application, but I want you to go into this with your eyes open that of the many amazing benefits you get out of serving as a CEC officer in the Navy Reserve, engineering experience towards a PE isn't really one of them.

Jar Jar

Not a problem. Rather unfortunate but CEC still fits into end goal on my personal plan of retirement so not a problem. A slight hickup for maybe not being able to get a PE but definitely not a deal breaker. I still want CEC just as much as day -90 before talking to OR. Thank you for being honest.

Jar Jar

So next question, If i dont get selected should i get another B.S. that is EAC-ABET accredited vice ETAC-ABET to just negate that whole case by case basis until i am either picked up while doing EAC or complete it? Or just keep trying and hoping since with the ETAC I am at the bottom of the list?

exNavyOffRec

I am a nuclear equipment operator such that I monitor, test, maintain nuclear plant equipment using multiple different engineering principles. I use parts of mechanical, electrical, electronics, radiation, industrial, safety engineering disciplines combined eith component monitoring to ensure nuclear power plant equipment is working at peak efficiency, safely. A bunch of other crap included. Observing other departments doing work, electricians, mechanics, review plant modifications as part of pant mod teams. Safety tags, print reading.

I believe its similar to a Field Service Engineer. The next step up in my current chain of command at the plant is a senior reactor operator which is similar to the facilities management aspect of CEC.

I will be honest I have not seen anyone selected that didn't have a traditional background in either CE or architecture and what I mean by that is experience in that field for several years. When it comes to DCO officers the reality is that there are many people that have work experience that just doesn't translate to a DCO designator.

Jar Jar

Well thats kind of upsetting. I guess i will have to make sure I knock the interviews out of the park!! Make em want me.

Jar Jar

So my OR got with the CM and basically said my OR should still submit my package but dont be surprised if i dont get selected. To pursue another Bachelor's that EAC accredited to be more competitive. Hiwever they did say that I should put in for EDO just because of my prior service that they might wave all of my degrees. The PA for EDO says no tech degrees and no Eng. Mgmt. So im a little confused hiw i could be picked up EDO without any requirements met other than prior service but not CEC with maybe 1 waiver that might be open to interpretation. Guess i will find out in october or whenever the board results are out.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So my OR got with the CM and basically said my OR should still submit my package but dont be surprised if i dont get selected. To pursue another Bachelor's that EAC accredited to be more competitive. Hiwever they did say that I should put in for EDO just because of my prior service that they might wave all of my degrees. The PA for EDO says no tech degrees and no Eng. Mgmt. So im a little confused hiw i could be picked up EDO without any requirements met other than prior service but not CEC with maybe 1 waiver that might be open to interpretation. Guess i will find out in october or whenever the board results are out.

EDO you need to either have or be working (ideally 1-2 semesters in) on a masters degree

Jar Jar

EDO you need to either have or be working (ideally 1-2 semesters in) on a masters degree
I thought posted earlier that i had completed a Master's of Engineering Management with a gpa of 3.86. Either way PA says no advances degrees of Eng. MGMT nor industrial engineering.