• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CEC Jan 2013 Board

Mark Hamilton

Pro-rec NFO
Anyone applying? does anyone know what kind of numbers they are looking at for this board? I was recently pro'recd for NFO but listed CEC has my number one choice.

Stats are...
GPA 3.01 Civil Engineering
I have my EIT
Currently employed past 7 months with Civil and municipal engineering firm
president of collegiate cycling team
international engineering research experience (trip to ecuador to build a water system over summer)
I do triathlons. 6 years ocean lifeguard.
Cleared through meps
Not required but astb 56
great interview

I know for NFO I could go to OCS as early as January but Im worried if i get picked up for CEC I could wait a year. Anyone have any info?

dfickey2

Last I saw from BUPERS, CEC is trying to select about 50 to 60 from OCS. They haven't had a board since January 2012, so I imagine that this board is defiantly a go. That being said, selection should be super competitive. Good for the NAVY, no so good for all of us. I would imagine that we should hear who's recommended by mid-February, and if all goes well at MEPS (skip this step for you probably) orders to report to OCS by the end of the year.

My GPA is about the same as you...albeit almost 10 years old now. I think I'm a bit older than you (31). I have my PE in Florida. Its good you have several options...'cause I'm limited to CEC only due to age.

exNavyOffRec

Last I saw from BUPERS, CEC is trying to select about 50 to 60 from OCS. They haven't had a board since January 2012, so I imagine that this board is defiantly a go. That being said, selection should be super competitive. Good for the NAVY, no so good for all of us. I would imagine that we should hear who's recommended by mid-February, and if all goes well at MEPS (skip this step for you probably) orders to report to OCS by the end of the year.

My GPA is about the same as you...albeit almost 10 years old now. I think I'm a bit older than you (31). I have my PE in Florida. Its good you have several options...'cause I'm limited to CEC only due to age.

FY 13 has a goal of 58, of which about 46 spots have been filled, they had many hanging out there from the last board.

Mark Hamilton

Pro-rec NFO
Thanks for the info guys and good luck dfickey.

CEC was originally my goal. I applied last year before I had taken the EIT and I wasnt accepted. It was actually a goal since i was in High School. My uncle was a LCDR in the CEC. Im glad that i still have the option to be an officer in the Navy (NFO pro rec). It looks like this will be another very competitive board.

Ive read about guys receiving pro rec for cec and having a huge delay on their FS. For that reason and the competitiveness of the board i am tempted to just take the NFO and go to OCS in late Jan! But who knows i guess ill wait and see what happens.

dfickey2

FY 13 has a goal of 58, of which about 46 spots have been filled, they had many hanging out there from the last board.

Well that's not the best news I've heard today. So this means that selects in the upcoming board could be FY14 candidates??

dfickey2

Mark,

I imagine that Aviator isn't a bad gig. Probably more exciting than CEC. I kinda wish I could have done NFO.

Mark Hamilton

Pro-rec NFO
I know im debating it bad at the moment. Not assuming i will get into cec but whether or not to wait for it. I think the CEC seems awesome to be able to be in charge of a seabees unit and go in after a natural disaster and repair some infrastructure or manage a naval facility in the US or abroad. I think its pretty awesome. And to continue to do engineering work and get the pe license. I know from my uncle that they encourage you to get a masters degree which i really would like to do. I also think it would be easier to transfer to the civilian world after as there are tons of opportunities for facilities managers.

The NFO seems great as well although I dont know as much as i should about it, Im trying to learn more. Being trained by the Navy to work on some of the best airplanes in the world, have a huge role in navigating and assisting the pilot, getting the wings. Also not having a traditional desk job. I just dont know if they encourage a masters or give you freedom on where to get it. IF anyone knows more please chime in. Also my OR is setting up a conversation with a recruiter who was a pilot for 20 years tomorrow. I should have a much better idea of NFO after that.

At the moment im leaning more towards a stone in the hand beats two in the bush, hence NFO.

exNavyOffRec

Just wait 4 weeks and see what happens at the CEC board, this is something that could affect the next 20 years of your life.

Mark Hamilton

Pro-rec NFO
That is a good point NavyOffRec. Four weeks doesnt seem too long when you look at it from that perspective. thanks for your input.

dfickey2

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure, but I think to make CDR in any community you'll have to have a masters.

I agree with you, Mark, I really like the humanitarian side of the CEC/Seabees. I just hope to get to OCS in 2013, I'm getting a bit old. Not sure if I will still be able to hang with you young bucks for too much longer. :)

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffREC,

Any idea on the numbers for the Jan 2013 Supply and SWO board?

No for SWO, and even then the numbers could be skewed because they need to sort through the Pro Rec Y's to see who is and who is not taking it.

On Supply limited unless they dive into FY14, but the new Supply officer interview may limit the applications

PS1(SW/AW)

NavyOffRec,

Thanks a lot for the prompt response. Could you clarify on what you mean by (they need to sort through the Pro Rec Y's to see who is and who is not taking it)?. And also (the new Supply officer interview may limit the applications)? Thanks again for the continuous support you provide to all OCS applicants.

VR/PS1

PS1(SW/AW)

No for SWO, and even then the numbers could be skewed because they need to sort through the Pro Rec Y's to see who is and who is not taking it.

On Supply limited unless they dive into FY14, but the new Supply officer interview may limit the applications

NavyOffRec,

Any update on the numbers for Supply and SWO for the upcoming boards? Have they changed the board dates listed on the scheduled updated in Oct last year? thanks in advance.

VR/PS1