• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CDR Phil "Smurf" Murphy, USNR

757vq06

My Dad was killed in a car accident on February 7, 1998 while pulled over helping a broken down motorist.

At the time of the accident he was a Reservist flying the C-9B for VR-57 at NAS North Island, San Diego and a F/O with Alaska Airlines. He flew the S-3A in active duty with the VS-32 Maulers and the VS-41 Shamrocks and did two cruises on the USS America.

If anybody reading this knew my Dad by any chance, I would love to hear from you! I just swore in to the BDCP program with a SNA slot and will be proudly following in his footsteps.

Attachments

• P_Murphy.jpg
    P_Murphy.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 133

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Congrats on your selection! I am sorry for your loss, as late as it may be!
Fair Winds and Following Seas

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RIP CDR Smurf

My Dad was killed in a car accident on February 7, 1998 while pulled over helping a broken down motorist.

At the time of the accident he was a Reservist flying the C-9B for VR-57 at NAS North Island, San Diego and a F/O with Alaska Airlines. He flew the S-3A in active duty with the VS-32 Maulers and the VS-41 Shamrocks and did two cruises on the USS America.

If anybody reading this knew my Dad by any chance, I would love to hear from you! I just swore in to the BDCP program with a SNA slot and will be proudly following in his footsteps.

757, didn't know your Dad...but I pass my sincerest condolences on your loss. It is all the more tragic in that he lost his life attempting to help a stranger in trouble.

One thing I can assure you is that your Dad is very proud of you in your career venture, and will always be with you with a proud smile and big "thumbs up" as you proceed in his footsteps. I know, as my eldest Son Michael is a Navy CDR, and it's such a rush for me following his career path and service. Best of luck in your Navy adventure!

Re: Spin Training...Opposiite rudder...Opposite rudder, Ooooorah!:bigeyes_1
BzB

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Welcome Aboard...

patriot.gif
patriot.gif

One for your Dad...one for you...

Stay The Course!

Jim Davis

Phil,

I wrote you a personal but just to keep this thread open , Phil Murphy was one of the best men I knew. It was an honor to call him my friend and it was a sad day for all of us when he died. Whenever I have an Alaska guy on my jumpseat I ask them if They knew Phil. Every one of them gets a smile on their face and we reminisce about him. Congratulations and I will tell my son to be on the lookout for you down in Pensacola. He gets there in October.

Squirt 59

I met your Dad in VS-41 in August 1983. He was a student and I was there awaiting orders to Pensacola. We did SERE school together that month at Warner Springs. Yup, I actually went to SERE school before flight school. Probably no one has ever done that. A bit of a personal story there. We buddied up to build a two-man tent made out of parachute canopy. I later saw him at VR-57 in January 1995. I was trying to join the squadron. He was a great guy and I was truly shocked when I heard of his accident from a friend at VR-57. I assume you are well into your Naval Aviator career by now. Good luck to you.