• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carry Weapon Capacity

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
7+1 of 9mm; not my ideal choice in caliber, but a good compromise between the snappiness/discomfort of putting a lot of 40 of 45 through a small gun when practicing, and the relative uselessness (imho) of .38 or .380.

If I really want energy in the round, I can always load it with a +P JHP.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
7+1 of 9mm; not my ideal choice in caliber, but a good compromise between the snappiness/discomfort of putting a lot of 40 of 45 through a small gun when practicing, and the relative uselessness (imho) of .38 or .380.

If I really want energy in the round, I can always load it with a +P JHP.

I know this is a common problem...but for whatever reason, I've just not had a problem with 50-100 round sessions with either the 30 or 36. The only pistol that ever made me want to call a range session short was a 2" .357 revolver. 3 or 4 cylinders full through that and it was quittin' time.

Thanks for all the responses...Love questions like these. For those who don't know me, I've been carrying concealed for 10 ish years and shooting for 30 some...just wanted to get some opinions.

Xmid...do you carry a reload?
C420...I already have a 9mm that I can carry (Glock 19) and don't want something that large for this one which rules out the 21. Also has to be a .45

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
I like to put a lot of rounds through on my range sessions. DINK affords me that luxury. I don't particularly enjoy shooting anything bigger than a 9mm out of a compact or smaller polymer gun; my logic is if I don't enjoy practicing with, the less likely I am to get/stay reasonably proficient with it.

I like my duty sized glock for its reliability, and with a light on the rail it pulls bedside duty, but the compact and sub compacts g-guns go further in the red as far as ergonomics the smaller they get. I played with one, decided twas not for me, and went with the LC9 with the finger extension magazines for CC. My carnie hands work fine on it, and I can put a brick of ammo thru it and not need to ice down after the range sesh.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Bam! That's two for the LC9.

I also have bigger hands. Without the thumb extension, I use my pinky to basically grip the bottom of the mag. It may sound weird but I practice with it a lot and am pretty proficient with it and have never had a problem when changing mags either as I have trained my muscle memory to move my pinky as I am pressing with my thumb to release the mag. With the grip extension I can fit my whole hand around the grip. I switch out the extension based on what I'm wearing.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Have you gotten a trigger job on yours? That's really my only complaint with the gun: the freight train style trigger pull. It's reasonably accurate out to 15 yards if you accept that you'll have to shoot it like a DAO revolver. I slapped a novak night sight on the front post, but other than that I like how it runs and it didn't break the bank. About 2000 rounds later and I still like it. Hasn't let me down on the range yet.

CAMike

None
Contributor
All good input here for CCW carry capacity and CCW in general.

I have a G36, 23 and 3oSF as carry tools. Even if gym shorts and a t-Shirt I carry all 4 with no issues. In a SmartCarry holster that is. Bike riding and walking for excercise is not an issue either as the smartcarry distributes the weight around your waist. If weight is truly an issue for example pocket, try the Kahr PM9. The PM9 is very reliable, good size and weight and is 9mm. I personally don't carry any spare mag but I may at some point in the future, I use Federal HST's in all calibers, but I hear good things about Ranger T's.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
I know you are looking for .45 input, but for the others

My brother recently picked up a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm. For those unfamiliar it is a very slim, under 1.0" thick, single stack compact. I thought it would be a very snappy and poor handling pistol. It is the exact opposite, and the only pistol I have found myself able to carry well with gym shorts.

For the record I've been carrying a M&P40c for about a year now with no complaints. Keep a spare mag in the car or on my person if I have on either a big jacket in the winter or cargo shorts in summer.

/end shameless M&P plug.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
All good input here for CCW carry capacity and CCW in general.

I have a G36, 23 and 3oSF as carry tools.

Preferences? Thoughts on the 36 vs. 30sf debate?

As for the SmartCarry...I've heard raves...but can't make it work in my head. Doesn't it bother you sitting down? I would think it would <ahem> dig into...things. The other thing that concerns me is that I rarely wear shirts tucked in and this seems like a near requirement for that particular holster. Would love to hear your thoughts on this because as far as concealment is concerned, I don't know that I've seen anything better.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Have you gotten a trigger job on yours? That's really my only complaint with the gun: the freight train style trigger pull. It's reasonably accurate out to 15 yards if you accept that you'll have to shoot it like a DAO revolver. I slapped a novak night sight on the front post, but other than that I like how it runs and it didn't break the bank. About 2000 rounds later and I still like it. Hasn't let me down on the range yet.

I haven't but need to. It's my only major complaint with the pistol.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Preferences? Thoughts on the 36 vs. 30sf debate?

As for the SmartCarry...I've heard raves...but can't make it work in my head. Doesn't it bother you sitting down? I would think it would <ahem> dig into...things. The other thing that concerns me is that I rarely wear shirts tucked in and this seems like a near requirement for that particular holster. Would love to hear your thoughts on this because as far as concealment is concerned, I don't know that I've seen anything better.

Sitting down it does sometimes push up against my flabby belly and that can pinch a little. Rarely does my metal tool interfere with my flesh tool. The exception to the rule is if you become quickly aroused. It ain't going vertical through the metal and polymer if you know what I mean. When I have to "adjust" myself, chicks just watch and wink. Seriously, it's just like adjusting your other gear in that region and nothings been seriously harmed in over 2 years wearing a smartcarry. I also rarely wear shirts that are tucked in. In fact I don't think it would work too well if you did wear a tucked in shirt unless your pants were kind of loose around the waste. When I dress up I usually have the PM9 in a Nemisis in the RFPocket.

Wearing jeans or slacks that can accommodate a quality gun belt, I have a Desantis IWB adjustable cant for the G36 and the G23 to a lesser extent and G30SF squeeze in fairly well. When the Glocks are in that holster at the 3:30 position all three have a perceivable thickness and weight difference, but enough to become a show stopper. It's just something you can deal with or you can't. But you need at least several days of wear to make an fair decision. I shoot all the Glocks pretty well. G23 was the most difficult to get my head around due to the more violent bang. G30 and G36 are a softer and more manageable feel in my opinion. If I feel that I need all 10+1 rounds that the fine state of CA permits me -I go 30SF or G23. If I've done well at the range recently I may go G36 and feel plenty confident with 6+1 or the PM9 6+1. Just make sure you leave the house with at least one of them. Nothing worse than being oberved at the ATM and thinking to yourself, man I f----d up not putting it on today.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Xmid...do you carry a reload?

Nope. Sometimes one in the car/truck.

And I put 100-200 rounds through my G36 all the time without wrecking my hands. And I've never had a malfunction with the G36. I had my prejudices against Glock for the longest time, but my G36 made me a changed man.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I typically carry, based off of season, attire, activity, etc, one of three pistols: S&W 642 in a front pocket holster; Kahr P9 in an ass pocket holster; 1911 Commander style (i have several) in a strong side hip holster. The pocket holsters I have modded slightly to ensure that they are as snug and properly oriented in their respective pocket. I also typically carry one reload in my weak side pocket. Spare mag for an autoloader, or a Speedstrip for the 642. If I need more ass to extract myself from the situation, there's always the bailout kit in my trunk.

I try to standardize what, how and where I carry as much as possible, which helps me in a few ways, not the least of which is keeping my strong hand free of relatively mundane, admin tasks.

In fact, the only real exception to my strong side, gun side philosophy is driving long distances, when I carry cross draw on my weak side hip.

Renegade One

None
"[All you guys], I'll tell you plain...there's times when you worry me!"
Pop Culture reference: Gettysburg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
"[All you guys], I'll tell you plain...there's times when you worry me!"
Pop Culture reference: Gettysburg

I've been reading this with a little bit of interest and a little bit the same thought. I don't want to digress, but do you guys really leave the house thinking,"Keys, wallet, phone, gun, extra mags...okay, let's go?" I'm almost forty, have lived in two major cities (one of which was Philadelphia, which is a bit on the shady side), and I've never once been in a scenario in civilian life where I thought a gun would help the situation. What if, yadda, yadda...but I don't carry an IFAK with me everywhere either, and I'm a lot more likely to need first aid supplies than a weapon. Guess I'm just live bait when the zombie apocalypse happens.

exNavyOffRec

I've been reading this with a little bit of interest and a little bit the same thought. I don't want to digress, but do you guys really leave the house thinking,"Keys, wallet, phone, gun, extra mags...okay, let's go?" I'm almost forty, have lived in two major cities (one of which was Philadelphia, which is a bit on the shady side), and I've never once been in a scenario in civilian life where I thought a gun would help the situation. What if, yadda, yadda...but I don't carry an IFAK with me everywhere either, and I'm a lot more likely to need first aid supplies than a weapon. Guess I'm just live bait when the zombie apocalypse happens.

I actually used to think the same way, then a firearms instructor said don't think about what are the chances of something happening that you need a concealed weapon, because we know they are very small, think of the consequences if you do need it and don't have it.

There were several examples he gave and one I just heard about recently is a guy went into a store, pulled a knife off of the shelf and started stabbing people, another guy pulled his concealed carry weapon and the guy immediately surrendered.