• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carriers Heading Into The Wind: What Angle?

Poorwise

Wannabe
I saw the guitar. Most people put a wink or laughing emoji to show they are joking. Did you conduct the required admonition? ??
It was a play on words. You may know that Marshall is a 60-year-old brand of guitar amplifiers; a "Marshall stack" means an amp head on top of two speaker cabinets:

MarshallStack.jpg

I'm already familiar with night & bad WX carrier landings, so no admonition needed. I did read at the article. It's well written, but it didn't have anything I didn't already know. ??

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was a play on words. You may know that Marshall is a 60-year-old brand of guitar amplifiers; a "Marshall stack" means an amp head on top of two speaker cabinets:
maxresdefault.jpg

????

I'm already familiar with night & bad WX carrier landings, so no admonition needed. I did read at the article. It's well written, but it didn't have anything I didn't already know. ??
I didn’t get that from your profile….just that you play with flight sims; therefore, I posted the article. So you’ve flown Carrier Case I, II, & III in the sim? Who acts as Strike, Approach and Tower when you fly around the carrier?

I still think you need to conduct the verbal admonition for the stretch of a joke. ??‍♂️??

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
maxresdefault.jpg

????

I didn’t get that from your profile….just that you play with flight sims; therefore, I posted the article. So you’ve flown Carrier Case I, II, & III in the sim? Who acts as Strike, Approach and Tower when you fly around the carrier?

I still think you need to conduct the verbal admonition for the stretch of a joke. ??‍♂️??
Recently, I had a DCS guy telling me I was wrong about various aspects of CV ops in the YouTube comments section. Fairly amusing.

Poorwise

Wannabe
maxresdefault.jpg

????

Rimshot? Yes. It was meh humorous. An outright admonition? Matter of taste, maybe. ? It would have gone over better with guitar folk, but they would have razzed me since Marshall does not make PA systems.

I have been playing guitar on-and-off starting with the local arts magnet high school's classical guitar program in 1985.

I "play" MS Flight Sim X and Lockheed-Martin's Prepar3d. Even though they are mere toys, to get the most enjoyment, I have read many books and websites about aviation. I learned a lot about the subject to the point that I laughed at Die Hard II awful depiction of ATC and how they moved the glideslope to make an airliner crash well short of the runway.

There are a lot of great and free add-ons, including carrier-related tools. There is a tool which will place a carrier anywhere you want, and another which does the same, but allows setting pitch/roll.

There is nothing for Strike, Approach or Tower, but there is a "LSO." The program is vLSO -- virtual Landing Signal Officer -- which is very cool. In addition to giving the pilot verbal assistance ("you're a little high" "work on your lineup" "you're slow") it has a "debrief" with a graphical display of lineup and glideslope. It will automatically set Case I, II, or III depending on time of day and ceiling. In addition to requiring a ball call (or you'll get a waveoff) it dings you if you are too close/wide abeam or long in the groove.

Learning to land on a sim carrier was very hard, and it took a lot of crashes before I got decent at doing it. I already knew naval aviators have the hardest and most-stressful flying task, but doing it in a sim gave me a new appreciation for what y'all do. Even though I can't be hurt or killed, my body tenses up starting one mile out.

I got hooked on naval aviation after the 1980 movie The Final Countdown. Back in the 1990s, I wanted to be a Naval aviator or a USAF pilot. I wound up choosing Army via ROTC and hoped to be branched in Aviation. However, I got booted on a medical in basic. As my health "progressed," I got to the point that I would not qualify for even a third-class FAA med cert. Oh, well...

If I ever get the $$$, maybe I'll try ultralights!

Poorwise

Wannabe
"Work on your lineup" would be an amazing LSO comment if it were reality......in line with "do better" ?
You mean to tell me that a simulation program has inaccuracies? Shocker! ?

I have to admit a little irritation. I made a good living writing programs, including a contact & order management system for a small business. My stuff was tight, and it worked right! Maybe it comes from professional pride. Something like that TV show with the Canadian home repair/renovator. When he sees substandard work, he tends to get a little irritated.

Compare a pilot (military or civilian) who doesn't use checklists because he thinks they are for amateurs. Oopsie! I forgot to lower the flaps.