• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier/Maritime selection

leaf001

The time for selecting carrier or maritime aviation is quickly approaching and I've got a few concerns I was hoping some of the senior guys on here could answer.

Does being a P-3/EP-3 or E-6 NFO limit your career long-term? That is, would is be easier to make O-5/O-6 as a F-18 or E-2 guy?

Quality of life: The P-3/E-6 lifestyle seems to be much more laid-back and relaxed, is this true? If so, what are the trade-offs?

With the eventual conversion to the P-8, what will happen to the current P-3 NFO's? Will they be asked to leave or be retrained in the P-8?

Thank you for the insight.
-Leaf

P3 F0

None
I don't have any numbers (% of O's that screen for DH and command by community), and I'm sure they exist, but my hunch is that there's no downside either way. For the most part, your progession is based on the quality of your work and the jobs you accept/request, and most importantly, how you break out amongst your peers. If you consistently break out and get an EP at every command you're at and pay your dues by going to the boat or the sandbox, I don't think it really matters whether you're VF or VQ. Your career will be fine.

As for what community is more relaxed, I can't speak for the E-6 guys, but I'd say the VQ community is a bit more relaxed than the VP guys. Which makes sense, because the missions are probably, on average, way more boring than VP. Being relaxed is the only way to get through the monotony.

Not sure what'll happen to the P-3 NFO's when the platform dies. Most likely, just like the A-6 and ES-3 guys, they'll have to fight for slots in a different community, be it the P-8 or something else. There's a good chance many careers will take a hit in the transition.

Good luck in your choice.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/BD6BD529-B203-40B4-9A63-B232928D9882/0/FY07USNO5Linestats.pdf

You can find similar statistics for each board from here:

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/ActiveDutyOfficer/05Line/FY07Board/

Statistics for command and DH are not published in this way (though some individual communities put them out, and you could figure them out on your own with a bit of legwork).

In theory, what community you are in does not matter for promotion (though it does for command and DH opportunity). In practice, well, judge for yourself. Since -18 squadrons (for instance) have smaller wardrooms than HSC or HSL squadrons, and more squadrons relative to overall size of the community, you shouldn't be shocked that their promotion rate to O-5 and command screen rate is significantly better (more #1 tickets, few to none #3's or #4's for DH's, as an example).

I personally would not (and did not) choose my community on the basis of promotion prospects - but it isn't a bad idea to know what those prospects are so that you are making your choices with your eyes wide open.

As for the transition: careers get killed in most transitions, it is a cost of doing business. If your community likes you enough and/or your record is stellar enough you will be taken care of, otherwise you are at the mercy of your karma.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure what'll happen to the P-3 NFO's when the platform dies. Most likely, just like the A-6 and ES-3 guys, they'll have to fight for slots in a different community, be it the P-8 or something else. There's a good chance many careers will take a hit in the transition.

The mission isn't going to die. VP isn't going away (too bad;)). VS and VA went away. That is why those guys got treated differently then a VP NFO will. A P-3 NFO will simply go through a syllabus to train him on new hardware then go to work in the same mission on a different airplane. Big deal.

BTW, GO TAILHOOK!!

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
If so, what are the trade-offs?

Trade off #1: For starters, when you go into an Air Force O'Club, your kid's classroom, a local pub, or a corporate meeting and someone says "what is it like to land on a carrier," you can either tell them or point to someone who can.

Trade Off #2: With one of the options, you never have to worry about justifying the anchors on your wings.

Trade Off #3: God blessed you with selection into the brotherhood of Naval Aviation. He could have sent you to the Air Force. One day you'll have to discuss your selection with him.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
It's my understanding that there will be the same number of officer slots per plane on the P-8 as there are on the P-3: 3 pilots, 2 NFOs. The crew downsizing is going to come on the enlisted side of things. I know the flight engineers up front are going away. Not sure about how many (if any) of the guys back in the tube will be going away.

And don't ever let someone (^) try and convince you that you'll have to justify the wings on your chest. You earn them just like everyone else.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Trade off #1: For starters, when you go into an Air Force O'Club, your kid's classroom, a local pub, or a corporate meeting and someone says "what is it like to land on a carrier," you can either tell them or point to someone who can.
Flew with a guy in my airline that was a F-15 pilot in Desert Storm. Actually flew a couple combat intercepts, though he didn't get a shot off. I wanted to hear about the air war in D.S. and all he wanted to do was talk about a cold warrior's NFO experience flying off ships.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
With the eventual conversion to the P-8, what will happen to the current P-3 NFO's? Will they be asked to leave or be retrained in the P-8?

It wouldnt make any sense to kick all the P-3 NFOs out. Why would the Navy pay for all this flight training only to give us the boot when the P-8 comes online?

You have nothing to worry about dude. I've talked to folks who are very knowledged about the current/future of VP. Plus, I'm lookin forward in transitioning to a much newer plane. Once you see the Update III, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Nothing says badass than a 737 strapped with explosive goodies and flying at 300'.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It wouldnt make any sense to kick all the NFO P-3s out.

I know you don't really think EVERYONE is locked in to move to the P-8. Plenty of you new guys will have a good chance of flying the Orion until they retire.

You have nothing to worry about dude. Plus, I'm lookin forward in transitioning to a much newer plane. Once you see the Update III, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Nothing says badass than a 737 strapped with explosive goodies and flying at 300'.

It's 200', if not, feel free to rag on your pilots.