• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Options in the Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
now you are speaking about heresy... lol

No idea, look man if you are wanting to join a service, join for being part of THAT service. not just to be a certain type of pilot.

That being said, the Air National Guard will allow you to apply to specific units... IE you can apply to units that only fly fighters, bombers, heavies... you get the point. Not sure how competitive it is, what the app process is like or any other details. I would reccomend getting in touch with a Air Guard recruiter.

bcatcher5

Selected OCC 190
I agree with bch, and most individuals in here will agree as well, don't join a branch to become a pilot. You are an officer first, pilot second. That’s just the way it works. Also, there are no “guarantees” in the service and having the attitude of jets or nothing will get you nowhere fast- especially amongst your peers. You could be number one and your class, and still not get jets. Might be unlikely, but you never know. The point is, join the service you would want to be in if you don’t get jets. If the Military’s terms are too hard for you, then you might want to reevaluate your position and consider law school.

Reactions: bch

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
A lot of good replys in here and the trees have been preflighted, but Bulldog here is the forest so consider this. Select a branch of service that is right for you. It sounds like you are pretty sure you want to be a pilot, but let me say this "Be positive of what you want....For flight training will be the hardest thing you will ever attempt and it doesn't matter what acft you select.... so if you decide to go for it, use ever bit of determination you have. You still might not make it, but if you start, give it your all or don't come at all...." Lastly, keep in mind, Yale is great, flying/test pilot is great, supply/law school is great, however I know this sounds hokie but "Serving your Country and joining our ranks" is where the pride and satisfaction comes from, it sure isn't the pay.....

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
Since the thread sort of took this turn. How do you find out which community is the correct fit? Is it something you go try and figure out on your own or do you get a chance to ride in a couple different kinds of aircraft prior to choosing?

Yes, I realize I am a long way from that decision, but if it is something I have to figure out on my own, I want all the lead time I can get.

Kobyra

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kobyra said:
Since the thread sort of took this turn. How do you find out which community is the correct fit? Is it something you go try and figure out on your own or do you get a chance to ride in a couple different kinds of aircraft prior to choosing?

Yes, I realize I am a long way from that decision, but if it is something I have to figure out on my own, I want all the lead time I can get.

Kobyra

The two best methods are probably:

1) Talk to pilots from the different communities. That will give you a gauge of personalities and what real-life is like flying P/F/A/H/S/E/C-whatever. As long as you talk to a first tour JO, you're likely to get a no-BS assertion too. The higher up you get, the memory fades and the recruiting speil starts. :icon_tong

2) Wait till primary and see what kind of flying you enjoy. If you really like forms, RIs, and PAs, then you'll probably enjoy jets. If you find VNAVs and forms are more your thing, you might enjoy helos. If you dig cross countries a lot (straight and level for a long time), maybe props are your thing. There is no set "if you enjoy such and such, you'll love this community." I'm just trying to give you a rough idea of what some of the communities majority of flying entails. (Helo or Prop guys feel free to correct me if I misguessed)

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
squeeze said:
If you really like forms, RIs, and PAs, then you'll probably enjoy jets. If you find VNAVs and forms are more your thing, you might enjoy helos.

What are forms, RIs, PAs and VNAVs?

Kobyra

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Forms: Formation flight

RI's: Radio Instruments

PAs: Precision Aerobatics

VNAV's: Visual Navigation

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
kobyra said:

Kobyra

Not sure where you are in life, but if you are not in colleg yet or at the early portion of it, I would reccomend NROTC or the Academy. Here is why. Now while this does sound a bit like band camp, bear with me.

You will go on Summer Cruises to different communities in the navy. I spend one cruise with a helo sqd and part of another with a jet sqd, that is how I was able to decide on which communtiy I wanted.

What squeeze said is mostly true. I loved all the flying in primary! I liked the PA's and Forms the most (which would most likely jive with what the jet guys do.) However, it was the community itself of the helo community that influenced me to go that route, even though it would mean the end of my days going upside down.

Status
Not open for further replies.