• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Guidance

Good Days Last

Hello. I have been lurking around these boards for about a month now and finally decided to sign up to see if I could get some insight from those of you that have been and are involved with the Naval Air community. Of course, thank you all that have and will serve our great country.

And now for story time :p (Sorry if you've heard this one before)
(And yes, it's a novel. I love to write. The Condensed Version is at the bottom)

I graduated high school of Spring 2006. I promptly earned a couple scholarships and blow those sky high with a 1.1 GPA over the course of 1 academic school year. I ended the year with 11 credits and alot of shame to my name. I decided to put in a stop-out form to take a couple years off from school while enabling me to reactivate those scholarships on a probationary status at a later date (Fall 2009 or earlier).

During these two years I've come home, got a job with the local hospital system as a Courier and have basically done nothing. I did almost enlist for the Army, but I dropped out of their DEP program a few weeks shy of shipping out. It felt like a rash decision and not the time or place for that specific decision, especially with a college education still sitting out there.

I was supposed to ship December 30th of 2008. A few weeks ago I was talking with a Navy recruiter and was curious as to see what I would be eligible for. Turns out the Army still has me in their system and I most likely will be until this December and I can live with that for now.

Lately the Marine Corps has been interesting me with their whole advertising campaign. But I'm trying to brush off those feelings and search deeper into what my main goal in joining the military would be. I've constantly run into the idea of becoming an Officer. All I knew at first was that you needed a college degree and then I started looking into the different paths one could take to attaining that goal. Needless to say, I feel very overwhelmed at this point, hence I'm looking for "Career Guidance".

My deadline is coming up to activate the scholarships for this coming Fall semester (and the summer semester that I plan on attending). I need to submit those forms ASAP, which I will do. I definitely plan on taking classes through the fall semester and retaking the most important ones I failed to raise my GPA back to a reasonable score.

Now, I'm transferring to a new college for this "fresh start" and my scholarship will only stay with me for one transfer. It's a community college and it doesn't offer an NROTC program. The University of Utah, however, does. But in order to get accepted there, I need either an associates degree with a GPA of around 2.3 or if I don't have an Associates, I'll need a GPA of at least 2.6.

With staring a huge GPA "comeback" in the face and the prospect of not being able to pay for a school such as the U of U, I've been looking into enlisting after this school year (hopefully with a 2.6 GPA) with the Marines or the Navy. My goal is to be a Naval Flight Officer and someday hitching a ride with an F-18. I'll be turning 21 this month, so time isn't exactly on my side either.

I could be 22 by the time of enlistment, work out my 4 years of Active Duty and hopefully be released to join NROTC with my GI Bill paying the way. Being 26 (ideally) and getting a waiver through to tack on a couple years of eligibility, with only 2 and half years or so of school left, I think I can make the age requirement. Which would also leave me with zero room for error.

I'm also a little confused on how the trip from lanky college kid to Naval Flight Officer works with NROTC. Do I have to be on scholarship to commission? After commissioning with NROTC would I go to OCS or just off to API, and if it's Marines, where is The Basic School situated in all of that?

I understand I have a long hard slog to achieving what I am dreaming, but I believe in myself enough to pursue it, even with a major in History :D

The Condensed Version:
Becoming a Naval Flight Officer is the goal, either through the Navy or Marines.
I don't see myself getting my 1.1 GPA high enough to get into the U of U or even touching an NROTC scholarship for a little while. I don't see myself being able to pay for school without the NROTC scholarship or GI Bill. I feel like I've stuck myself in between a rock and a hard place.

I'm looking for advice from the community I hope to earn a spot in someday. What would you do in this situation? Should I e-mail University of Utah's NROTC program with my concerns?

Thanks for the time and I hope to stick around and learn more while I'm here. If this is under the wrong forum, I apologize.

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor

Finally, something I can give a little advice on.
If you are willing to go to the U of U, why not go a little further north? Weber State University also has an NROTC program ( http://documents.weber.edu/catalog/CURRENT/~navscid.htm )
, which I believe belongs to the U's. Not a hard school to get into. With NROTC you are not guaranteed NFO, just so you know.
As for the 1.1 GPA, you might want to start working your ass off to get that to a respectable level. At Weber State, 12-18 credits costs the same, so take some GPA padding classes along with those requirements. As for those 11 credits, anything below a C you might as well retake.
You can enlist for money for college, that is true. Depending on what MOS you get, time to do college while enlisted will vary. From my experience, just count on none, then when you get some feel lucky. Have you thought of just getting a loan? The reason I bring this up is because you say your goal is to become an officer. A four year enlistment is a big sidetrack. The plus side to that is you would be able to get an age waiver for being prior enlisted (plus O1E pay:D).
In my experience with schools and their programs, look at their websites first, call second. Emails don't get responds as fast as you would think. Have your questions written down so you remember to ask them. I think that's about it.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Scholarships __>> 1.1 GPA. Dude, I gotta ask, what were you doing with your time?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The bad news is, that 1.1 GPA is horrendous. The good news? 11 credits isn't even a full-time semester. A 1.1 sounds like it's hard to come back from, but really isn't considering a Bachelors takes 120 credits or so.

My point? If you got a modest 3.0 taking 15 credits, your GPA after that semester would be 2.2. If you buckled down and got a 3.5? Your GPA would be a 2.48. It's not as big a comeback as it looks, and hopefully you've learned your lesson to put school first this time.

navy09

None
...hopefully you've learned your lesson to put school first this time.

Hopefully. A resume of "fail, quit, do nothing, flake/quit" doesn't look good for someone who wants to be an officer.

OP, hopefully the time cruch will be enough to throw you into gear. Don't enlist if you want to be an officer. Bust your ass to get your degree. If you end up going over the age limit, at least you'll have the degree to fall back on.

m26

Contributor
I graduated high school of Spring 2006. I promptly earned a couple scholarships and blow those.

University of Utah

I'm also a little confused on how the trip from lanky college kid to Naval Flight Officer works.

This is like the 8th time in the few months I've been here that I've read one of these advice posts and thought I'd drunk-posted the night before. :eek:

Now, I'm transferring to a new college for this "fresh start" and my scholarship will only stay with me for one transfer. It's a community college and it doesn't offer an NROTC program. The University of Utah, however, does. But in order to get accepted there, I need either an associates degree with a GPA of around 2.3 or if I don't have an Associates, I'll need a GPA of at least 2.6.

With staring a huge GPA "comeback" in the face and the prospect of not being able to pay for a school such as the U of U, I've been looking into enlisting after this school year (hopefully with a 2.6 GPA) with the Marines or the Navy.

Agree with the above on Weber State. Also, we share our NROTC program with Westminster College as well. It is private, so likely more expensive, but it may be easier to finagle your way in. Also, the commute is MUCH easier, I believe. There is a Weber to UU bus, but Westminster is in the city. Public trans or car, Westminster is just an easier commute.

Don't think you can't get into UU. I don't know how your time off affects you, but most schools handle transfers with less than 1 full year (24-30 credits) much different than a "real" transfer. That is to say, more weight is placed on your HS record. So if you did well enough in high school to earn a scholarship, you should be able to convince the admissions office that you are capable of succeeding at the U. Your college record will be considered, but it is not totally devastating. You definitely have a shot if you just try to get in. I suspect you will have to be very proactive, though. Speak in person to an admissions representative, seek guidance. It can be done.

Why would you enlist after a year?

A10DCC

Pro-Rec SNA
Here is some advice that I think could help you.
Join the Guard/Reserve for four years, you will get a guard GI bill/kicker which will pay your way through college(along with UTA pay). Work your butt off at UTA and get good performance reports and your commander will give you a good reference. If you graduate before you 4 years is up and you have been a good troop your commander will give you a conditional release. After you graduate apply for NFO and do OCS.

torpedo0126

also, just because you enlist doesn't mean you go straight to the STA-21 program after your enlistment term. there are plenty of variables that will affect your ability to even get a shot at STA-21.

Clux4

Banned
You can go Reserves and apply for the Naval Academy. You sound like a smart guy and would probably get selected for prep school if nothing else.
or
Go Reserve and try NROTC when your grades get better.
I think the National Guard advice is also solid.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
And as a side note, if you stop wasting your time, 21 is not nearly too old to make it work.....

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
No shit, I started my Rocky Balboa comeback at 23 from my 1.8 and here I am at 26 headed to OCS next week with a pilot slot. (Don't try this at home kids)

1) Get your scholarship/school situation squared away

2) GET A JOB and volunteer for extracurricular stuff. You will need this on your resume to help overcome your absymal record. It won't be easy with trying to study too, but nothing worth having is easy. YOU put yourself behind the 8-ball.

3) Study while maintaining your work,extra curriculars, social life. The selection board is looking for a successful time manager who also excels at what he/she is doing. Not just some brainiac. Plus, nothing looks better than a comeback. Shows character and drive.

4) Keep in shape

5) Study

6) Don't start tomorrow, start right now.

Inexorable

Sitting in Purgatory
No shit, I started my Rocky Balboa comeback at 23 from my 1.8 and here I am at 26 headed to OCS next week with a pilot slot. (Don't try this at home kids)

To expand on this point, there is never a time when you should just quit and give up. Like has been said, 11 units is not a lot. You can certainly dig yourself out of that hole if you keep pushing and giving it your all.

I was in a somewhat similar (but different!) position in college; I was a College Programmer in NROTC, but they didn't pick me up for Advanced Standing because I sucked. I certainly thought at times "waaaah, my life/dream/whatever is over", but I pushed it out of mind, and like Sooner, I class up at OCS in a week with a pilot slot.

So in short, keep pushing, get your head in the game and give it your best and your all.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
A 1 f-ing 1 !?!?!?

Wow, I thought my 1.9 backed up the next semester with a 1.77 was bad. If it makes you feel better I am here. I survived the cuts in the early 90s with that start. If you want it bad enough you can do anything.

Correct me if I am wrong but typical degree plans have about 125 hrs. If you average a 3.5 the rest of the way out that will get you to 3.2+. Your main trouble will be you have no room for error. Like I said how bad do you want it?

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
If you think about it, he may have more than 11 credits to overcome. He never said how many credits he took, just how many he had. He could have flunked half of the classes he took in a year. Just a thought.

Good Days Last

If you think about it, he may have more than 11 credits to overcome. He never said how many credits he took, just how many he had. He could have flunked half of the classes he took in a year. Just a thought.

Yeah, I didn't just take 11 credits, I took 30. Came out with 11.
So it's a must that I find a way to retake some classes.
And to be completely honest, I'm not a partier at all.
I simply had zero drive to go to class or do anything. No direction whatsoever. This was at Southern Utah University and now I'm looking to transfer to Dixie State College (for those of you that know what I'm talking about). Would it behoove me to at least meet with my SUU advisor and see how many of those credits I could make up?

And besides the grades, I think I'm on an ok track in life.
No tattoos, felonies, misdemeanors, gang activity, drugs... not even
a drop of alcohol.
I'm an assistant scout leader with the Boy Scouts of America.
Played football throughout High School, lettered one year.
Countless Volunteer hours through church (I'm LDS).

I could definitely do to get involved with some clubs in college.
I guess I could look into the reserves as well. I've toured Westminster and Weber State. I guess it just made the most sense to aim for the Moon but be ok with landing in the clouds, University wise.

What reserves am I looking at? Just the National Guard?