• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Change to Coast Guard

kymasp

Okay here is the skinny,

I am 27 years old and am looking for a career change into a field I would really enjoy. The military has always been of interest to me, especially the Coast Guard's aviation. I am a graduate from an aviation program with a BS in Aeronautical Science: Professional Pilot. I work full time as a CFI-I and have approximately 600 hrs flight time of fixed wing aircraft along with a ME rating.

I am looking into OCS and plan on going through the aviation program with the Guard, assuming certain things such as...

1) Am I too old for the USCG OCS flight program? If not..
2)Will having a BS in Aviation help with the application/selection process, and
3)Will the 600 hours of flight time I have be taken into account.

Assuming I meet/don't meet the criteria I have an appointment to speak with a recruiter 11/12/09 about some options and I would greatly appreciate any advice and/or honesty about my chances of becoming a USCG aviator.

( I have heard you are an Officer first, and aviator next. I am okay with this)

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Well, to keep the answers brief....

1) You are cutting it pretty close, but see what the recruiter says. Our website FAQ's say you must be between the ages of 17-27, prior service up to age 29. See this LINK.

2) Not really, just having an undergrad degree of some sort is all that pretty much matters.

3) Your prior flight time will factor little, if any, on your chances of OCS. For your consideration for flight school, it may be an extenuating factor that could help, but it won't make or break you chances.

Just realize we are FLOODED with qualified applicants right now. Everything is extremely competitive. Not saying this to discourage you, just paint some realism in your decision making process. If you decide our lifestyle is something you truly want, go for it! :D

nugget61

pilot
Just realize we are FLOODED with qualified applicants right now. Everything is extremely competitive. Not saying this to discourage you, just paint some realism in your decision making process. If you decide our lifestyle is something you truly want, go for it! :D

Asking for a friend of mine, if one can't get selected for CG, would it be better to enlist CG and then try to obtain your commission or go Navy/USAF and do a lateral xfer?

kymasp

Coastie flyer,

Thank you so much. That is the type of answers and honesty I was searching for. I think the life of the CG would be more for me as opposed to something in the other armed services, even if i didn't get a flight slot. Once again. Thanks

kymasp

The first time I posted my computer locked up on me. So I reposted again later and couldn't remember what I had titled the thread.

Brunes

pilot
Asking for a friend of mine, if one can't get selected for CG, would it be better to enlist CG and then try to obtain your commission or go Navy/USAF and do a lateral xfer?

That's a choice your friend would have to make. Inter Service transfers are at the convenience of the Coast Guard (meaning right now- they are harder to get because we have more aviators than we need) and subject to the requirements of the original service (mean your friend would have to satisfy the 5-8 year commitment in the Navy/USMC first and then try to get a slot in the CG).

So if your friend wants to fly and doesn't care who it's for- Sure....Go for a Navy/USMC slot.
If he wants to be in the Coast Guard, then enlist and try for a commission down the road- or go to OCS and take a shore or ship billet and apply to flight school again and again until he gets it.