• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Care packages

02Navy05VT

Hypertension Anyone?
:confused: My son is deployed - F/A 18C pilot. I've been sending the usual stuff, snacks, pillows, books. Can you 'salty' guys give me some ideas about things I can include in the weekly box?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Condiments are big, hot sauce, real maple syrup (New England favorite) help with the food on the boat. My Mom used to send lots of this stuff and it helped.

books or magazines, a subscription to time newsweek SI etc is a nice way to keep in touch with the real world.

DVDs, he will have access to Amazon etc to get stuff sent but getting some movies or TV series on DVD is nice

Video games if he is into that stuff

that is all I can think of now, the big thing is just to send stuff and or get emails about what he needs and cant get at the Ship's store

Happy Hollidays

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
My wife used to DVR my favorite shows on the DVR and then burn them to DVD to send me. Of course we only got mail once or twice a patrol...oh well...

I'm not sure though...current TV on the carrier?

02Navy05VT

Hypertension Anyone?
The post office always asks if there's anything liquid in the box before they weigh it. No problem with the syrup????

One clerk took a giant step back I told them a box I was sending had Gold Bond powder in it, they said they get a little nervous when they see "white powder". :eek:

This is my first deployment as a "Mom". I'm hanging in there :scared_12 . Thanks for your suggestions.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
dont worry about the liquid, just use a ziplock bag to prevent spill in case of a break, a well packed package shouldnt have a probem but given the choice go with the plastic bottles. I was sent much "stronger" things than syrup and they got to me no problem.

BlkPny

pilot
The Post Office has "flat rate boxes" that are really a good deal. You pick them up for free at the PO, and come in a couple of sizes. I use 12x12x4. The boxes are free. You just fill them with whatever you want to send, and it costs $8.10 to mail to any US address or FPO, regardless of weight. Really handy and very inexpensive to send. I've sent several to random USMC units.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I always loved the baked cookies my mom sent me on deployment. Though one time the rats in Singapore got to them before me. After that I didn't have a problem with anything getting into the care packages.

Pags

N/A
pilot
My wife used to DVR my favorite shows on the DVR and then burn them to DVD to send me. Of course we only got mail once or twice a patrol...oh well...

I'm not sure though...current TV on the carrier?

That's a big hit over here too. For some reason, it's nice to see TV with american commercials. A new DVD never hurts. A bunch of food (beef jerky, trail mix, cookies, etc), good coffee is he's a coffee drinker. I'm shore based so I have a few more amenities, but I got Mrs. Pags to send me some pesto since it's hard to find over here. Newest magazines are always good, maybe some crossword/soduku. Basically the same kind of stuff you'd give to a 10yr old to kepe them busy in the back of the car on a long road trip.

02Navy05VT

Hypertension Anyone?
I've been sending coffee (Dunkin' Donuts is the brand everyone in the squadron wants). I made my son and his roomate a couple of fluffy, fleece pillows, not too big, so they can fit on their racks without taking up too much space. I also send a set of wildly printed x/long sheets once a month that I wash and load up with nice smelling fabric softener, with a note that says "time to change your sheets!" I remember from my husband's deployments (27 years ago) that everything smells like jet fuel.

I like the idea of the dvd's of TV shows and even goofy movies. I'm going to have to get a dv-r. I'm flipping through the channels this AM and Earthquake, a really bad "B" movie, is on right now and I'm wishing I could have dv-r'd it. It's Charlton Heston, Lorne Greene, Victoria Principal, Richard Roundtree and Ava Gardner at their worst!

Please keep the suggestions coming - I've got 5 more months of "sending" and would prefer to send stuff that guys want (well, not EVERYTHING :watching3 guys want, I am a "mom" after all)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I'm flipping through the channels this AM and Earthquake, a really bad "B" movie, is on right now and I'm wishing I could have dv-r'd it. It's Charlton Heston, Lorne Greene, Victoria Principal, Richard Roundtree and Ava Gardner at their worst!

Now you're talking turkey....:D My best to both of you.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
One clerk took a giant step back I told them a box I was sending had Gold Bond powder in it, they said they get a little nervous when they see "white powder". :eek:

My grandmother once sent me a box of chicken and dumplings mix. The box had gotten a small hole in it, so the flour was starting to come out. Yes the postal folks were a bit nervous and made me come in to open it up. Good times, good times.

If your son likes to read, I'd send small books. Overall though, since internet access on the carrier is difficult-to-impossible, find out what he likes, and order it for him. A lot of companies won't charge for sending to an FPO address. Just a thought. Oh and if you haven't figured it out yet, pack whatever it is you're going to send... very securely. Mail gets bounced around quite a bit before it ends up in the hands of a Sailor. I should know. :)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Oh and if you haven't figured it out yet, pack whatever it is you're going to send... very securely. Mail gets bounced around quite a bit before it ends up in the hands of a Sailor. I should know. :)

i'll second that notion.