• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

car in moving truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

navsup

BDCP Supply
Well Its a little bit early for me to worry about this but I'm wondering if anybody knows if the navy will transport a personal wehicle in the moving truck when they move us to new duty stations? My wife and I have a car, a truck, a boat, and motorcycle. We are wanting to put the car on the moving truck if we can so that we can drive to our station together. Any info or other experiences with moving would be helpful, as I am just trying to get ready for all the changes that are coming my way.

unfUSN

Your best bet would be to call the closest PSD and ask them to go over the PCS allowances for an 01...

LTJG Payne

Fatboy

pilot
You cannot put a car in the moving truck, you can get a car trailer but they do not give you extra money for that. I have been told specifically not to try to put a car in a moving truck.

...funny story though...

When everyone was getting ready to leave BOOST (this happened a long time ago), they told us not to try this. Well at about 11 PM that night I got a knock on my door in the barracks. Two prior nukes thought they were smart enought to put a Jeep wrangler in the back of uhaul. Well they thought they were so smart to calculate how much wieght the ramp boards could take and all that smart guy nuke stuff. When I got out there they had neglected the fact that once the front tire was on the trailer there would be no wieght on the rear wheels. So the rear wheels spun boards out and the Jeep was high centered half way in the uhaul. I still don't know how they got it out before the staff showed up the next morning. Don't try it.

navsup

BDCP Supply
THanks for the info, Im not talking about putting it in a uhaul though. I thought you had the option of having your belongings moved for you on a semi-truck, so I thought maybe it would go on there because I dont have a entire truck load of stuff. Just curious anyway its not a big deal.

charger

I put myself through school working for a moving company and we put cars on trucks all the time. It's really no big deal.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Basically the only time the Navy will pay to move your POV is if you go overseas. In CONUS, your POV is your problem. HOWEVER, they will pay you an allowance called MALT if you drive it yourself. Depending on your report date to your new command, you usually have the option of driving or flying to your destination. If you drive, they obviously won't buy you any tickets, but they will pay MALT. My wife and I just drove cross country after returning from the last tour. We got MALT and partial per diem during our travel time. The other added benny is that if you drive you'll get more travel time. We got seven days to drive, versus one to fly. As someone mentioned above talk to PSD or better yet, Personal Property counselors.

Case

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
That may be so, but I can tell you from experience that it will not be done for a military move. Keep in mind that as an O1 with dependents you are authorized 12,000 lbs for a PCS move within CONUS. 6000lbs for overseas. Also, no POV's overseas. Do yourself a BIG favor, and contact the nearest Personal Property Office on the closest base to you, and get your information there. It will either be listed as Personal Property, Transportation, Traffic Management or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.