• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Car choice and moving

m26

Contributor
From another thread:

My recommendation is the DITY move, now called a "personally procured move". It is $$.

I was a fan of the partial DITY, myself. Haul as much stuff (weight sets, bags of concrete, 50 gallon drums of water...you know...the usual) as you can pack into your truck and let get paid for it. Let the Navy move the rest of it for free.

I am looking into getting a new car, and was wondering how moves down the road might play into the decision. I really dislike sedans to begin with, and come moving time it seems like it could potentially cost me some DITY $$ with what I can move myself in a sedan as opposed to an SUV or wagon. But I'm willing to bet most people have sedans, so obviously it can be done.

I'm looking at the Outback, particularly, but I'm not sure I can justify the extra thousands over a better-equipped Altima/Fusion/Accord.

Your thoughts?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The partial DITY money isn't that great. At least, not great enough to base a car-buying decision. Buy what you'd like to drive to work every day.

Will_T

Will_T
Dodge Magnum gets my vote; sleek, sexy, can haul ass and just about anything else that'll fit in there. Not that I have one :(

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
The partial DITY money isn't that great. At least, not great enough to base a car-buying decision. Buy what you'd like to drive to work every day.

^^This.^^

Besides, if you go out and buy an F-350 just to haul a bunch of crap from duty station to duty station to get paid, you will lose that money in gas in the long haul.

That is, unless you want an F-350. Then, go ahead and get one...in diesel, like tlane said.

I thought only lesbians drove Outbacks? Maybe I'm wrong.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Get a 4 door truck. Tacoma, Frontier, F-150...doesn't matter. I like fast cars, but I've never been driving down the road going "man...I really could use a 2 door BMW 335i right now." There WILL be times (more than you ever think) where you go "man...I'm really glad I have a truck with 4 wheel drive / tow hitch / bed / room for 5."

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Get a 4 door truck. Tacoma, Frontier, F-150...doesn't matter. I like fast cars, but I've never been driving down the road going "man...I really could use a 2 door BMW 335i right now." There WILL be times (more than you ever think) where you go "man...I'm really glad I have a truck with 4 wheel drive / tow hitch / bed / room for 5."
+1

I changed from a sporty high performance car to a 4-door Tacoma and never looked back. The performance I had was fun, but not worth losing my bed, tow hitch, and the ability to comfortably carry around a group of people. I get good mileage, can go into the desert off road just fine, and have a vehicle that drives great on the city and highway.

Once you get used to a fast car, it doesn't feel that special.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

I used to have an F-150, I liked it, but I was always helping people move with it. When it came time to upgrade, I was looking at the lariat edition, or a 335i. I never thought I'd go back to a car after owning a truck, but I just didn't use a truck for trucks sake while I had it. So, one test drive and I was sold on the 335i. I'm coming up on a move, and all it means is that I have to plan better. Also, that 335i has been a exponentially more enjoyable to drive, and gets a little bit better gas mileage. In the end, get what you like and is in your budget, that's all that really matters.

m26

Contributor
I thought only lesbians drove Outbacks?

Lesbians and NFOs. ;)

Enlighten me, please. I've never had that feeling in my suburban life. 99% of the time all I need is a good driver with decent performance and gas mileage. There are times when I've longed for AWD and more (indoor) storage in the back, though, thus the Subarus. And the latter is what I'm thinking would have additional benefits come DITY time.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Once you get used to a fast car, it doesn't feel that special.

+1

I've been through four sporty cars in 5 years. Twice due to accidents (none of which were my fault) and twice because I was just plain old tired of the car I had. (2004 E46 M3, 2005 Mustang GT, 2006 350Z and now I've got an S2000.) Only twice have do I remember saying to myself thank god I've only got room for two and there's nothing practical whatsoever about my car. On the other hand, I now find myself in a situation here in Hawaii that I can't park in certain places because either the potholes are too bad, or the curb is higher than my door, or I'm just too scared to park a sports car in that part of town. Definitely +1 on the Truck/Wagon.

AJB37

Agree, I just trade it my Prius for a 4 door Tacoma 4x4, much better in the snow, and sub par Virginia roads. Plus I can go snowboarding much easier now.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
Enlighten me, please. I've never had that feeling in my suburban life. 99% of the time all I need is a good driver with decent performance and gas mileage. There are times when I've longed for AWD and more (indoor) storage in the back, though, thus the Subarus. And the latter is what I'm thinking would have additional benefits come DITY time.

Seriously, DITY w/ a vehicle like that may get you $1k. That's loading the thing up completely and moving half way across the states. You'll do that once during the time that you own the vehicle, maybe twice if you time it right. See the forrest not just the trees.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Eh, I do manly stuff. I haul things. I snowboard. I surf. I chop wood and put it in my truck. I bang other people's girlfriends in the bed of my truck. If you did manly stuff too, you'd understand what I was talking about.

I'm totally kidding. I've never chopped wood and put it in my truck.

To be serious, there's a ton of things you never realize how handy it is to have a truck for. If my wife decides she absolutely needs another heavy as all hell piece of furniture, i don't have to drop 100 bones to have it delivered. If I need to make a run to the dump to get rid of 15 bags of yard waste, I don't have to make 3 trips and soil a trunk. I have hauled a uhaul, a boat, and 2 jet skis. I've never had to cancel a snowboarding trip because I couldn't make it up a snowy mountain...i just drop it in 4 wheels and take my time and eventually get where I'm going. I've pulled other people's cars out of the sand on the beach in corpus. I never thought I'd want a truck, bought mine on a whim because I was tired of driving a grandpa beige Accord (loved that car..goldie honda was her name and she was a magnificent steed) but now that I have one, I'll never go without one again. More than likely, I'll keep this one even after it's paid off and I move on to my 335. That is the car I lust after. Maybe my advice is to buy both...get a sports car and a truck. You'll never be bored.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
Got it, yeah I was thinking of buying some $1k clunker 80s f-150 when when I get to wherever I'm going. However, it'll just be something to mess with and throw money at . . .