• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Car choice and moving

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Silly me, I was thinking that it was for its safety record since women are bad drivers. :icon_smil:icon_wink

DevilWoman has the S-40...it's a damn Mazda 3/Ford Focus that's been rebadged and somehow made shittier by Ford. Something tells me in the day of even the crappiest cars having full front and side airbags/ABS/traction control etc etc, Volvo's vaunted safety record becomes a thing of the past. I'll buy that an 80s volvo was safer than the rest of the cars out there, but today...not having it. I hate the damn thing with a passion.

m26

Contributor
I vote for the TSX. Acuras typically hold their value, and it's a nice sport sedan. Get a RAV4 if you want me to break out the purse comments again. SUVs built on car chassis' don't count!

Isn't 270-hp enough for you? I seriously think the Rav4 might have been faster on the highway than the Acura.

Edit: Ridgeline thoughts, scoolbubba? Does that meet your testosterone standards?

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Nope. Built on an independent suspension without a solid frame or rear axle. It's got a unibody construction too. Take it over anything that slightly twists it and good luck getting the seams to line up ever again. It's more a crossover in truck clothes than anything else. Not a fan of it.

As far as the RAV4, I just think it looks like a girlish car. Don't really care how much horsepower it has. You can turbocharge a miata and turn it into a little beast; I'll still laugh at you and call you a girl when you pass me in it.

Scruff

None
Contributor
Nope. Built on an independent suspension without a solid frame or rear axle. It's got a unibody construction too. Take it over anything that slightly twists it and good luck getting the seams to line up ever again. It's more a crossover in truck clothes than anything else. Not a fan of it.

As far as the RAV4, I just think it looks like a girlish car. Don't really care how much horsepower it has. You can turbocharge a miata and turn it into a little beast; I'll still laugh at you and call you a girl when you pass me in it.

^This...it is a Unibody based vehicle=no frame. And independent rear suspension which is a huge no-no when it comes to a real truck. Like bubba said. Basically a car. It can haul about a bag of sand before the rear starts sagging and the alignment of the wheels/tires starts toeing out.

Edit: Damn, i just realized I repeated everying bubba said....just different words

Scruff

None
Contributor

Kinda like putting unimog drivetrain under a smart car.....its still a smart car, and this guy is still a douche

smartmog.jpg

jtmedli

pilot

Do mankind a favor and don't drive a RAV4. RAV4s are like the halfass-ed mixed breed of a honda civic and an actual SUV.

m26

Contributor
I'm thinking I'll just have to end up steeling myself to scoolbubba's insults. :p

If I could get two cars I'd get a truck and a sedan, but right now all I need is some hauling ability, in a car that's good around town, on the highway, and in bad weather.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Are you nuts? Didn't you see the head to head where the (4-cyl) STI destroyed the (v-8) Mustang Cobra head to head, in 36 of the 41 events?

1) I agree with Picaroon...
2) The Subaru is built in Illinois, the Ford in Mexico. Just sayin'
3) RWD? Really? I live in the mountains.
4) I just don't need an engine that big.

This is exactly what I use to compare my future dream machine types and models. I LOVE PORSCHE because it is a slick and sexy machine, great engineering and as a result it competes, as a 6 cylinder and <=$100K vehicle, with the superclass cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Aston Martin, etc. Sure it may not beat them in all categories but it's handling is amazing, its top speed and acceleration are quite impressive, and it does all this with half the cylinders, and half the price of its competition.

A "poor man's supercar"... I like that.

I'd take a 911 Carerra 4 and certainly a 911 Turbo over any lambo or Ferarri any day.

And as for Volvo..... I don't think it's the safest car on the road.... thought that was Mercedes or something. I read that somewhere, so it must be true. Still, volvo is a SHITTTY car. Both parents got volvos and both died horrible, slow, painful electrical deaths that my dad threw money into and eventually the black hole consumed the cars whole.

Scruff

None
Contributor
I'm thinking I'll just have to end up steeling myself to scoolbubba's insults. :p

If I could get two cars I'd get a truck and a sedan, but right now all I need is some hauling ability, in a car that's good around town, on the highway, and in bad weather.

Dude, how about a jeep commander or something like a lexus is300 sportcross.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the process of looking for a Volvo SUV for Lady Boomhower.

The wife is very happy with hers, if momma's happy.......

What is it with Volvo's and women? My wife loves hers....and she wants the Volvo SUV next. Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent.

You really think you are going to win that argument?

And as for Volvo..... I don't think it's the safest car on the road.... thought that was Mercedes or something. I read that somewhere, so it must be true. Still, volvo is a SHITTTY car. Both parents got volvos and both died horrible, slow, painful electrical deaths that my dad threw money into and eventually the black hole consumed the cars whole.

I've owned two (figure that) and have had fewer problems with them than any other cars. My Beemer has been the money pit.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
You really think you are going to win that argument?

Not a chance. But I do plan to exact some pretty hefty concessions....

Everyone goes into buying a Bimmer thinking it is going to be a money pit. You buy a german car, expect to pay out the nose for everything. As long as you realize that going into it, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've always thought of volvo's as reliable (my mom had one of the volvo Tanks...the car that looks like 3 shoeboxes glued together?) and loved it so I figured DevilWoman's wouldn't be a bad purchase. It's left us stranded due to a bad alternator at less than 35k, and has queertrons running all thru it. Engine lights every time we turn it on, clicking from the starter even though the battery is good...who knows what else is wrong with the damn thing. I can't fix it, and apparently neither can the Volvo certified technicians. I hate it, and drive the thing as little as possible.

As for the highlander? It's not a bad crossover. It's built on the camry chassis, rides really smooth, and is big enough inside to comfortably seat 5 full size adults plus bags. With AWD it'll get you from a-b, even if there is some snow in between. I like them, and as far as mommy mobiles go, it's not a bad one. If you're a dude, check out a 4 Runner instead.

Edit: This thread has made me realize how much I miss watching Top Gear on BBC America. I think I'll go check out their Youtube channel, I suggest anyone interested in some car pr0n do the same...

GS-W

AH-1 W
And the answer to that is....who gives a shit.

Your average consumer doesn't race or drive exotic sports cars OR tune stock cars. Sure, Detroit muscle is great, but that's not their average product.

And true reliability isn't "opinion." It breaks or it doesn't.

Chevy makes great cars, My family has had 15 vettes, and never had one... "break". Their average product is a GREAT product. Every competition for car of the year, chevy, and especially corvette is a great competitor, and usually finishes close to the top, if not the top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Trend_Car_of_the_Year

corvette is the only repeat i see, and chevy has more awards than any other car. Don't you think they take reliability into consideration? Corvettes come top 3 on every sports car of the year competition for a reason. For the price, what you get, you cannot compare. This is the case with EVERY car magazine, not just car and driver.

Everyone thinks vettes are made for straight lines, someone posted something about american cars not being able to handle, so they will take a porsche. That is just ignorance, they perform the best, consistently on the track. GT1, look it up. Corvette finishes 1st overall about 75% of the years and second the others, aston martin will take first when vette doesn't. Porsche doesn't even qualify for GT1 90% of the years. Corvettes, and Aston Martins are made with the perfect balance of power and handling. Look at something like an s2000, all emphasis on handling, no speed, hence it gets smoked on the track, look at a viper, other way around. You look at Z06s, and aston martins, the perfect balance, so they finish around the track the fastest. Only difference it the Aston martins db9-r costs around 5 million. C6-r costs 375k... The main reason vettes have more gold medals is that IT BREAKS LESS THAN ANY OTHER CAR. So many people just read a magazine here and there, watch youtube videos of peoples cars, or can install exhaust on their civic, and think they understand cars. Yes, I am corvette biased, my grandpa worked for GM and corvette racing for 45 years, and i was raised w multiple vettes consistently in the family, but when it comes down to it, most car companies will change their car every 2 years, upping HP, torque, technology, corvette doesnt change its body on average for about 10 years. So when you see a vette it is usually "old technology" compared to a new porsche you see driving around, and it still outperforms, and out lasts others in its class. So when you say a 4 cylinder destroys a muscle car, it just shows you really have not spent time under the hood of a car, or understanding, how a car functions INHO.