• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAPT Scott Speicher - KIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owen

When the Speicher Hornet that sits in front of Schools Command
at NASP was dedicated we tried to secure a four ship flyover
and a missing man formation from VFA-81. AIRLANT declined to
support it citing a "lack of hours". At the time I was peeved
because I've seen so many flyovers at football games and
NASCAR races. I figured, "....if we can't support one of our
fallen..."

But Friday, Spike had the last laugh! He got his four ship
flyover and the missing man. Kudos to the crew of VFA-81.
I know you wanted to do it in Pensacola in May. Thank you
for the level of support you showed. I just wish I could have
been in JAX to support and witness....

Blue skies, Spike.......

Owen

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I came across this on Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091128/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_missing_pilot_hidden_in_sand

Interesting read. Definitely not a very encouraging assessment of our efforts to return a fallen pilot. :(

So what is it you would have had them do? Without actionable info such as an Emergency Beacon or hard intel, how was anyone supposed to find him? The same Air Wing lost a Tomcat later that week and even though we were told not to expect a daylight CSAR effort, the Air Force launched one when the pilot established radio contact and recovered the pilot (RIO drifted in hands of Iraqis). Even the Bravo Two Zero team was known to be on the run, but without comms, all that could be done was divert aircraft into the area to hinder the Iraqis in their pursuit.

m26

Contributor
Well, sir, I wouldn't even pretend to have any basis for making a judgment of the military's actions in the immediate aftermath of the incident. The article, if I am reading it correctly, says that we were at the crash site with his remains 14 years ago. I don't know the exact circumstances, but to come home without him at that point is unfortunate at best.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, sir, I wouldn't even pretend to have any basis for making a judgment of the military's actions in the immediate aftermath of the incident. The article, if I am reading it correctly, says that we were at the crash site with his remains 14 years ago. I don't know the exact circumstances, but to come home without him at that point is unfortunate at best.

'We" were NOT at the crash site 14 years ago. Although OSW maintained aerial surveillance of Southern part of Iraq, "we" did not visit the crash site, the International Red Cross did and they go home to Switzerland, not the US.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I take it like this: If there is a possibility that someone is still alive we will not give up on them. And we didn't. It took a long time, but we got the answer and we found him. I believe it to be part of the brotherhood that we are. No matter what, we will not leave you behind.

I am glad that there are other good people in this world who took care of him in the best way that they knew how to and could do after he died.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...says that we were at the crash site with his remains 14 years ago. I don't know the exact circumstances, but to come home without him at that point is unfortunate at best.

So, again.... what would you have done differently?

m26

Contributor
So, again.... what would you have done differently?

Used 100 men, bulldozers, and back hoes. Why not go all out? It worked for the Marines. Although I guess it was the Swiss that called the play in '95...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Used 100 men, bulldozers, and back hoes. Why not go all out? It worked for the Marines. Although I guess it was the Swiss that called the play in '95...

How many times do we have to rehash this issue on this site? It's over, the guy is in the ground on American soil and those professionals who actually have something to do with this kind of stuff turned in their lessons learned long ago.

Let it rest.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

YOu need to do some research on events and who called the shots. The Iraqis allows a 4 man team from the ICRC, period. Regardless, I agree with Brett: Let it go.

m26

Contributor
YOu need to do some research on events and who called the shots. The Iraqis allows a 4 man team from the ICRC, period. Regardless, I agree with Brett: Let it go.

I agree. I read it, posted based on just one article, and learned my lesson. Apologies.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No worries. It's a long convoluted and sometimes heartbreaking story. It took an extraordinary long time to sort all the pieces to the puzzle, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.