• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAP or AFJROTC

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Skip them all and do NOLS every year. Survival school and mountain guide school looks much better and you get to have non-contrived fun, rather than doing something formulaic. Plus the Marines will vote you in for being able to walk a long ways with a backpack on.

USMCRugger

Anyone ever here of the US Naval Sea Cadet Corps? I did it for almost four years. It's a great program, however I cant say much about the uniforms.

ItsTurboTime

Eagle scout man. Either that or my 9 credits abroad in Europe was the best thing I ever spent my time on. It does take time to get started though; it's not just something you can jump into your sr year.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Punk said:
Sorry, the Mitchell is not equivalent to an Eagle Scout, neither is the Earhart or Eaker. Now the Spaatz on the other hand...

Not according to THIS. While it may not be the highest award in CAP, it still gives the recipient the same benefits upon say enlistment in the military as being an Eagle Scout. Plus, there are far too few Spaatz cadets out there compared to Eagle Scouts. BTW, how far did you get in the program, Punk?

Oh, and I think we all know who Lee Harvey Oswald was and what he did.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
No offense meant, but are there any awards (besides lifesaving, etc.) which require more than attendance, community service X hours, and passing tests? That's how I read "committment", and it's fine, but I can't distinguish between that and the "this person should be the next President" award and neither could the admissions people.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
highlyrandom said:
Now that Aviation Green and Service Khaki are pretty much gone, I might say the same thing about the Navy itself.
Aviation Green is alive and well (for the time being). It's just not an issued uniform, so people don't see it much. Besides, once you're in a squadron you're pretty much on tap to fly every/any day; so it bites to have to change or keep a change of clothes (uniform) at the hangar. Easier to just wear the bag.

Now if you know you're not flying that day, av. green is a mighty nice uniform...:)

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
AllAmerican75 said:
Not according to THIS. While it may not be the highest award in CAP, it still gives the recipient the same benefits upon say enlistment in the military as being an Eagle Scout. Plus, there are far too few Spaatz cadets out there compared to Eagle Scouts. BTW, how far did you get in the program, Punk?

I did forget about that. Mitchell will earn you an E-3(2?) rate right out of basic, atleast in the AF. While the enlisted side of the world will look at it that way, I can tell you for a fact its not looked upon that way when it comes to academy admissions, obviously, higher the better. But maybe its changed, its been awhile for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the Mitchell award, its a big step and a very important one that opens all the doors. Everything beyond that is gravy.

I also had a dick for an USAFA advisor who bascially looked down upon the entire CAP cadet program but got hard-ons for the Eagle Scouts. I would to like to find and thank him though because if it wasn't for him, I might have been in the AF. Phew.

I was a Spaatz cadet btw. ;)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Punk said:
I did forget about that. Mitchell will earn you an E-3(2?) rate right out of basic, atleast in the AF.

I also had a dick for an USAFA advisor who bascially looked down upon the entire CAP cadet program but got hard-ons for the Eagle Scouts. I would to like to find and thank him though because if it wasn't for him, I might have been in the AF. Phew.

I was a Spaatz cadet btw. ;)

You should thank your USAFA advisor.;) It allows you to go in as an E-3 while in basic. A good friend of mine came back as he headed up towards Mountain Home AFB in Idaho, and he said it was the weirdest damn thing. He was sort of a mini-TI and he was unofficially responsible for his flight. He said he got chewed out three times as hard as the rest of his flight whenever somebody screwed up. What number was your Spaatz award?
My one regret about CAP is that I didn't have enough time to devote to it. What with school and football, I couldn't spend as much time as I would like. I'm still trying to find some time to get my Ground Team badge. But hey, I am going into the real military, so it's all good.:)

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
That is a downside. You get thrown right into that command part of it quickly. But then that's the point, you got some experience so they give the E-3.

I failed the Spaatz exam the first time. Then again, I don't hardly know of anybody that passed it the first time, but got it the second time around (didn't even want the pressure of 3rd try or nothing). #1320 is what I got. I kept myself very busy. NCC, NCAC, IACE (definitely the most fun), GT, 7 encampments on staff (5 of those were the CO Wing encampments at USAFA, those were alot of fun too). Plus all the usually squadron stuff. I ran track in high school which didn't occupy me too much. But all the big time commitements were during the summer, so that made it easy to juggle a couple things.

I'm still close friends with a bunch of people in CAP (one of my buddies is flying C-17's down in McChord, small world). All in all, I wouldn't trade those times for anything.

grnweenie

For all you CAPers, who here went to PJOC? That was probably the best taste of any boot camp you could get in high school. Im a skinny guy and I lost 10 pounds in a week. I think I was yelled at more there than I was in USMC boot. Oh, and I believe that the Spaatz award is far more dificult to get than Eagle Scout. We had three Spaatz cadets in our squadron at one time (one still a cadet, two turned senior members) and people thought that was absolutely unbelievable. I was in for three years and those were the only Spaatz cadets I ever saw.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
I never did PJOC but had some friends who did that and APJOC. They loved it but they thought it was the toughest thing they did in CAP. I'd probably agree with them.

Of course, I was too busy enjoying the Swiss beer and food that summer to care. :D