• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Can't go up For Another Board if I'm Not Picked up on the First One?

ltstevens76

Hi all, first time poster so not sure if this is the right place to throw this question. I'm going up for SNA with the deadline to get everything in on 24 June and while I've got everything in, my recruiter just gave me some info that was a bit worrying and confusing. Talking with them a few days ago, they said that if I am not selected for SNA on this board, I can't re-apply for another board unless I have a "major change in my packet", they gave the examples of getting a master's degree and a job promotion and when I asked "What if I retook the ASTB?" they said that wouldn't be enough. My plan was that if I am not picked up this go around, retake my ASTB and throw a packet in next round, but now I'm debating whether or not I should retake before the 24th to try bumping my scores up for this board if this is my only shot. My first question being, is this true? Has anyone on here been rejected the first go around and was (or wasn't) able to reapply for another board with the main change being new ASTB scores?

My second question is about retaking the ASTB for this board, I'm currently sitting at a 55 6/6/5 with a 3.27 GPA in Aeronautics, I've got 5 letters of rec all from military (USMC O-8, Air Force O-6, O-5, E-6, and Army O-4) as well as 110 flight hours with a PPL, volunteer experience and AFROTC leadership experience, while I know my scores could be more competitive, I'd like to think the other aspects of my application help counter the lower scores. So, would it be worth the cramming and studying to try and take the test before the 24th deadline? Or is my application strong enough to stand as it is now? Hearing the possibility I can't go up for another board has shifted my whole plan and to be honest has me a bit worried if this is my only chance to go up for SNA, any advice would be really appreciated, thanks guys. Cheers!

exNavyOffRec

Hi all, first time poster so not sure if this is the right place to throw this question. I'm going up for SNA with the deadline to get everything in on 24 June and while I've got everything in, my recruiter just gave me some info that was a bit worrying and confusing. Talking with them a few days ago, they said that if I am not selected for SNA on this board, I can't re-apply for another board unless I have a "major change in my packet", they gave the examples of getting a master's degree and a job promotion and when I asked "What if I retook the ASTB?" they said that wouldn't be enough. My plan was that if I am not picked up this go around, retake my ASTB and throw a packet in next round, but now I'm debating whether or not I should retake before the 24th to try bumping my scores up for this board if this is my only shot. My first question being, is this true? Has anyone on here been rejected the first go around and was (or wasn't) able to reapply for another board with the main change being new ASTB scores?

My second question is about retaking the ASTB for this board, I'm currently sitting at a 55 6/6/5 with a 3.27 GPA in Aeronautics, I've got 5 letters of rec all from military (USMC O-8, Air Force O-6, O-5, E-6, and Army O-4) as well as 110 flight hours with a PPL, volunteer experience and AFROTC leadership experience, while I know my scores could be more competitive, I'd like to think the other aspects of my application help counter the lower scores. So, would it be worth the cramming and studying to try and take the test before the 24th deadline? Or is my application strong enough to stand as it is now? Hearing the possibility I can't go up for another board has shifted my whole plan and to be honest has me a bit worried if this is my only chance to go up for SNA, any advice would be really appreciated, thanks guys. Cheers!
It is supposed to be a 6 month wait to reapply for the same designator.

No one cares if you get a promotion at work, if you retake the ASTB that IS the one thing that will get you noticed for applying within 6 months and IS one of the few items that will apply in regards to "significant change".

There have been a ton of people on this board over the years that just retook the ASTB and immediately applied to the next board.

When it comes to aviation the only thing that really matters is your ASTB score, it is nice you were able to meet those people and get them to write those letters but you and your recruiter are probably the only ones that will read them.

It is concerning that that your recruiter is missing the mark on so many things.

ltstevens76

It is supposed to be a 6 month wait to reapply for the same designator.

No one cares if you get a promotion at work, if you retake the ASTB that IS the one thing that will get you noticed for applying within 6 months and IS one of the few items that will apply in regards to "significant change".

There have been a ton of people on this board over the years that just retook the ASTB and immediately applied to the next board.

When it comes to aviation the only thing that really matters is your ASTB score, it is nice you were able to meet those people and get them to write those letters but you and your recruiter are probably the only ones that will read them.

It is concerning that that your recruiter is missing the mark on so many things.
Thanks for the info! I figured that a job promotion isn't going to matter so when they gave that example I got really confused. To make sure I'm getting you, if I retake the ASTB and improve my scores then I can reapply in less than 6 months? Or will I still have to wait the 6 months to go up for SNA?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Without fully ruling out the recruiter, it is possible a 6 month wait is required regardless if you can improve ASTB scores. This could be a recent change of policy since I last left recruiting in 2019.

When I was recruiting, as long as applicants improved their ASTB (at least for aviation) that usually gave them means to resubmit for the next board.