• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Candidate officer ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaznups

Just curious...

How do they decide your position once you are a Candidate Officer? Is it based on your graded performance or what?

thanx,
Jaz

Clarity comes when the confusion is gone.

wobble

Yes, it depends on your overall rank based on physical performance, academics, inspections, and other criteria. All of those are graded, so in the tenth week they'll tell you your Candidate Officer rank and your specific billet(s) for the next two weeks.

Gig'em and have a Great Day

grouch

I believe it to be an unwritten rule but if you want to yell at indocs alot, shoot for candidate ensign. This seems to be the rank at which the yelling and general dickheadiness gets done. The higher ranking candidates are held to a higher standard, I guess.

Oh by the way, gig nothing!

Hartman

Funny thing about some (not all) of the canditate ensigns I've worked with...

When I became a candy-o, the people who were the biggest f-up's at OCS were the one's who walked around thinking they were total bad asses during candy-o phase. Losers...

Reactions: bch

marcb747

I was on Indoc Staff during our candi-o phase and I can tell you that it was one of the hardest billets. Your typical day starts at 0400 and ends at around 2300, if you're lucky.
You end up being with the Indoc class all day, and teaching them all sorts of stuff while all your other shipmates go out on liberty. After taps, you still need to debrief, do personal admin stuff and plan for the following day. However, it was very rewarding because you get to lead and teach the incoming class.

Being on indoc staff does not mean that you can yell at the poopies and act like a total jerk.
Treat them like humans and you will earn their respect.

frogggystyle

They do look at test score, PT scores, inspections scores, in addition to any collateral duties you may have. (You get lots of bonus points for being the President, Vice President, Adjutant, etc.)

Here is an exmaple from my class: Our Vice President had good test scores, was old enough to put him in the slower PRT time group (which meant he scored very well in the out PFT), and he was still only a Candidate LT. Our President also did well in PT tests, had average scores in academic tests, did OK in inspections, and only made out with Candidate LCDR. Our Adjutant scored well on his tests, did well on his inspections, did well in PFTs, and was selected for the RegCom spot. He had a lot of responsibility during OCS. He also got a daily ass chewing from our DI and Class Chief Petty Officer for other people's mistakes. That showed the powrs that be that he is willing to take responsibility even when he is not the one that messed up. That is a good leadership trait. Face time...GOOD face time...and taking responsibility in positions of authority in OCS will make a huge impact on your final candidate ranking.

Aim for that RegCom or Assistant RegCom spot. Our top candidates just told people what to do then went to an extended lunch every day. hehe

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton (1885-1945)

Keith Nielsen

What do all of these ranks have to do with anything while at OCS? They obviously don't carry over into the rest of your career. What makes them so important at OCS?

frogggystyle

Well, the Candidate Officers are the ones who basically run the various watch areas in OCS, new candidate indoctination, etc. The higher your rank, the more 'authority' you have during your last few weeks in OCS among your fellow classmates as well as among the other Officer Candidates in OCS.

The Regimental Commander (C-CAPT) and the Assistant RegCom (C-CDR) are the top of the food chain when it comes to the Candidate Officers. They get orders and information from the class DI, Chief, and officers to give to the Candidate Officers in their respective class. There are usually four C-LCDRs that take charge of what is going on in the Battallions and Regiment. There are two C-LCDR that go to each of the two Batts, one L-CDR for the Reg, and the fourth C-LCDR is the Indoctrination Commander. Everyone else below C-LCDR basically just does what those top six people tell them to do.

It is just a way to familiarize the Candidate Officers with how rank structure works in the military.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton (1885-1945)

marcb747

If I we're to do it all over again, I would aim for the GTX pain chits billet. You barely do anything other than drive the sickcalls to branch med collect all the pain chits and your day is done at 1000. Then you're off to some nice R&R!

Pap is right, your candi-O ranking means nothing once you get out. You all will graduate as Ensigns.

interceptor

As a candidate ensign, you wear one gold bar on your collar....just like a regular ensign. Even though we didn't have the officer crest on our combo cover, I recall getting saluted by sailors when carting indocs to and from the NEX...
Oh, the percs of being "just" a candidate ensign...

Jim

OCS Class 25-98

Valion310

Heh ... I don't know if its a perk or not. Most of the guys saluting you are fresh from bootcamp and don't even know what OCS is. When I was in NASC down there, I saluted a couple OCS'ers and quickly found out not to do that and passed the word.
Then you get the fleet returniee retards who couldn't square them selves away if it meant getting l**d by Pamala Anderson, that's self explainitory.

Anyway, we had a similar recruit rank structure in bootcamp on the enlisted side. I was AROC for my division, RPOC for a while and almost went to ship's staff.

"GOOODDDDDD MORNING TREEEEEEEE!!!"

Valion310 out-

wilsonator

you can't pick your billet, the class team picks for you. you can talk about how you're going to kick ass at ocs, and your class team will end up putting you where they want anyway. ask 12's regcom.

brunelm

Pap's not entirely correct. It's true that your OCS standings don't mean squat once you leave. But your Class Officer writes your first FITREP. So if you're a turd during OCS it'll reflect accordingly in your FITREP, which are looked at for advancement from O1 to 02 and 02 to 03. But as we all know, if you get passed over for not making O3, you shouldn't be in the Navy to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.