• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Canada Denies Refugee Status for US Army Deserter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Canada: No Refugee Status for Army Deserter

TORONTO (AFP) - Canada denied refugee status to a US soldier who fled his unit rather than fight in Iraq (news - web sites), in a judgement issued by immigration authorities.

Jeremy Hinzman, 26, had filed for refugee protection arguing he would face persecution for his political beliefs or cruel or unusual punishment if returned to the United States.

"The Refugee Protection Division (RPD) found Mr. Hinzman, his wife and son not to be Convention refugees or persons in need of protection and rejected their claims for refugee protection," said the judgement issued by Canada's Immigration and Refugee Board.

Afghan war veteran Jeremy Hinzman will now appeal the decision to a Canadian federal court, and will continue his battle to stay in Canada, his lawyer, Jeffry House (eds: correct) told CBC television.

"Its a disappointing decision," said House.

Should Hinzman's court appeal founder, his last resort would be an plea to Canada's immigration minister for leave to stay in the country on compassionate grounds.

The South Dakota-born infantryman argued in a three day tribunal here last December that he was within his legal rights to walk out on the 82nd Airborne division, as he could have been asked to commit atrocities in what he deems an "illegal" war in Iraq.

But the IRB had already ruled that it would not consider the legality of the Iraq war in coming to its determination in the case.

It found that Hinzman would be offered protection by a fair and independent military and civilian justice system should he be returned to the United States.

It also ruled "Mr. Hinzman was not a conscientious objector," and that the punishment he would likely receive as in the United States was not "excessive or disproportionately severe."

Hinzman faces a five-year prison term if his bid to stay in Canada is ultimately unsuccessful and he is returned home.

He fled to Canada with his Laotian wife and two-year-old son last year after learning he was to be sent to Iraq.

He testified at his hearing that he gradually realized during nearly three years in the army that he could not kill another human being, and lashed out at the military's strategy of "dehumanising" recruits to make them killing machines.

"Given that I enlisted for a noble country, doing noble things, I thought, if called upon I would do it. After being trained, I realized I could not," he said.

Hinzman's plea to become a conscientious objector was turned down by the US military, and he said he was left no option but to desert, faced with fighting a war he saw as immoral and illegal.

Observers had always seen Hinzman's claim is a longshot, given that he was a volunteer soldier, and that no previous US combatant has been awarded refugee status in Canada.

Hinzman is seen as a test case for at least six other US soldiers who have filed for refugee status.

Hinzman's case has sparked some sympathy in Canada, which opposed the Iraq war and declined to send troops.

But some observers feared a positive verdict could have sparked a flood of similar claims from disgruntled US soldiers.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rock on. Bring him back here and let him face the music.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
Canada: No Refugee Status for Army Deserter

But some observers feared a positive verdict could have sparked a flood of similar claims from disgruntled US soldiers.

I find that part funny. Apparently some Canadians must think that a great portion of our military wants to run over there to get out of this "illegal" war? Just amazes me....

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I think they should grant his case. He may find exile to Canada isn't much better than life in Leavenworth. It would also show the Canadians they will NOT get a flood of US servicemembers rolling in. They have seven.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
It will be interesting to see what charges he's going to face when he comes back.

Taildragger

API-bound!
For a country made up almost entirely of potheads, Canada finally got something right... I hope they throw the book at that guy.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I was hoping canada would keep this butt-wipe, to save us the cost of prosecuting him. He can leach of their society rather than ours, I’m okay with that. Sending this guy to jail would be a waste of money. I hope he stays there, knowing that he can never return to visit family or friends.

And that whole rubbish about “turning recruits into killing machines,” but, uh WTF?! Isn’t that the job of the military, to kill people and break things?! That is what we do, we don’t make peace, we make war. After we’re done making that war, the negotiators and politicians say, “See, told you that’d happen, now can’t we all get along?”

Bah, this guy is a dink!

Status
Not open for further replies.