• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can you get paid in IRR?

pascol1

I am currently a Navy LTJG who is about to involuntarily transition to the IRR. I fought to stay active duty, but the POCR board decided differently on that issue. I hear that it is possible for IRR folks to get paid by going to a reserve unit to drill. Has anyone heard any stories about this? If so, how would one go about about doing this?

subreservist

If you are IRR, you can put in for ADSW or some type of AD orders...not sure why you can't just go SELRES outright and drill? You might have to spill some more info on your situation....

subreservist

Ok...so that keeps you as an 1160/65, correct? The reserves has a process where you can change your designator...I don't think the process is overly difficult. Then you should be able to do SELRES...I'll try to to dig up the instruction for you...

pascol1

Thank you! I appreciate any help/ guidance you can provide. Additionally, do you know if we can still retain our ID cards, privileges to commissary, exchange, etc?

subreservist

Officially, yes...you just have to get an ID...as IRR you are entitled to the "old school" ID card (no CAC) which gives you access to all that stuff...

pascol1

So that means I have to turn in my active one? I saw an IRR reservists showing me his ID card which was still an active one at a job fair.

subreservist

A good PSD will ask for you to turn it in...I'm sure there are some who will "lose" their ID prior to release, and then magiacally find it again...lol! The thing is CACs have expiration dates, so once it expires you will have to transition to an old school card at some point. But SELRES you still have a CAC...

pascol1

I have a history degree from college with a minor in Russian. Could I call up NIOC or any other Intel command and ask if I can help out in any way or form so that I can gain endorsement for a redesignation?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a history degree from college with a minor in Russian. Could I call up NIOC or any other Intel command and ask if I can help out in any way or form so that I can gain endorsement for a redesignation?
Yes. Best, if you can, go visit them on a drill weekend. They likely won't have anything for you to do, but you will get face time. Also, if you want to go selres and change designator (intel sounds like a decent fit) affiliate with the local volunteer training unit (VTU). Those are IRR guys that drill for no pay. Usually they are in between pay billets. The VTU sucks. You either sit around and read the newspaper or get tapped for some stupid make work job at no pay. As an O-2 you would be a prime target. Lots of OSCs use the VTU for in house IG stuff and inspection prep. BUT, those guys in the VTU with you are rolling into and out of selres jobs and units you may want. It is good for networking not just for your next selres move but your civilian career.

subreservist

Go through the instructions in that link...it should outline all you need to know or do (and if you are even eligible). I've never had to do it myself...the Bupers section on the topic starts at ch 9-1.

If you're going to an area without a large active component, you can do funeral honors and get paid as an IRR reservist. You'll get 1-drill (points/pay) per funeral. You can also apply for ADT, but I think that can be iffy. I'd put in to sit as an assistant recorder on a promotion board (it's like 2-3 weeks, and you learn a LOT...and get paid).
-Google Bupers 1001.39 and save it, read it over and over...eventually, it'll start making sense and really help you out.
-There are some good recruiters on this board, or PM me for the name of another excellent recruiter. I try not to talk poorly of people, but I've had some disappointing experiences with Navy Officer recruiters, so it's worth going to a known good on right off the top.
-If you want to serve, you can totally make the reserves work for you. I didn't realize it until I had a wife, kids, and other roots, but in many ways the reserves is better than active side.
-I've volunteered as "SWO mentor" for guys (and women of course) getting out. PM me if you want the official spiel along with my own recommendations/advice.

Good luck, and sorry the active side didn't work out. F___ them though. If you want to serve, this board should be able to offer you a lot of assistance if you want to continue contributing.