• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

can the family tag along?

originalbigjim

i had a wife and 2 kids, can i take them along to schools (i.e. flight schools or nfo schools, I was told i could as enlisted to my A school till i got there and then they said no. needless to say id hate to do that to my wife again. Plus i think i perform better without my worrying about the family. of course i was not selected yet but this is something id like to know. thanks guys

sarnav

The answer is it depends. While that does suck there are a few things to consider. You cant take them for OCS but since you are going for NFO you would PCS to NAS Pensacola so the family could come right when you check in to API(friday you graduate OCS). Then it is up to you if you want base housing or to live out in town. Having the family down here is up to you, since you have already been in your wife probably knows the hit or miss schedule but that is something only you guys can decide. Having never been to Pcola before and coming from SD my wife was a little shocked at first but it is not as bad here as people make it out to be. It is temporary and without being here there are no wings so she can suck it up. Hope this helps and PM me of you have any q's on the process from the enlisted side. Good luck.

SN

sent you a pm...
It is truly you and your wife's decision. API was VERY busy and the kids and I hardly ever saw my husband but we were OK with that and expected that. It was a decision we made together. Some people have a harder time with it. Primary was less busy and it seemed that we were able to do more together as a family. Advanced here in Jax...a joke...:)....I see my husband WAY too much..hee hee...We went the P-3 route...I don't think it is like that in Pensacola for advanced. As long as you and your family are understanding with the situation you will be fine and a lot of it is up to how you manage your time, etc. I know someone told my husband in API, "this really isn't set up for you married guys with kids"...well my husband took that as a challenge and graduated #1 out of Primary...he probably had a lot more on the line than the single guy with no family....so it CAN be done with a supporting family I promise:) TEAMWORK;)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
so it CAN be done with a supporting family I promise:) TEAMWORK;)

This BTW, will be true throughout any career in the Navy. It makes all the difference. Good advice.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You can ask for P-3's, but its going to come down to needs of the Navy. You may get them, you may not.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
can you pick your platform? Id love to go p3s just for the family, and the whole no boat thing.
Yea, that whole P-3's and "no boat thing" is a myth. It is entirely possible that you could deploy with your squadron and then get "selected" to go be a laison over on the carrier. While, you most likely wouldn't do the whole deployment on the boat, it IS boat time none the less. Additionally, when you come up for dissassociated sea tour orders, guess what? Yea, boat time.

If you want to fly P-3's because of the lifestyle, you think the planes are sexy, or the different missions they do, then knock your socks off. But don't choose a platform based on avoiding sea time. If you really don't want to go to sea, join the Air Force. Nothing wrong with doing that; plent of people do it every year. Yes, they get made fun of, but that's just something you'll have to live with.

originalbigjim

I know p-3s get deployed, I few guys in my shop worked on p3s, but the quaitly of life on a shore deployment is way better than the boat, maybe it is different as an officer but the boat is no fun for e-5 and below. I realize i am in the navy and my recuriter told me when i joined that avaition types never go on ships (obivious lie) but still id like to aviod ship life as much as possible.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
that avaition types never go on ships

That's almost as good as when my friend's recruiter told him that "NFO stands for non-flying officer... All they do is like LSO and shooter type stuff. You'll never get in an airplane and the only part of flight school you have to do is API."

originalbigjim

That's almost as good as when my friend's recruiter told him that "NFO stands for non-flying officer... All they do is like LSO and shooter type stuff. You'll never get in an airplane and the only part of flight school you have to do is API."

believe it or not but that is a common misconception among enlisted personnel, a lot of people i talk to in the navy think it means non-flying officer, but then i say RIO or back seat flyer and they say "oh yeah like goose"