• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can i Become an officer?

jpmatta16

So my friend just finish his bachelors in bussiness and he apply for the AF UPT but he got denied. Hes recruiter sold him in the idea of enlisting and said he could get him a slot after he had some experience in the AF. His shipping date is october 23 so now his question is can he apply to OCS before he then and cancell his enlistment contract?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
So my friend just finish his bachelors in bussiness and he apply for the AF UPT but he got denied. Hes recruiter sold him in the idea of enlisting and said he could get him a slot after he had some experience in the AF. His shipping date is october 23 so now his question is can he apply to OCS before he then and cancell his enlistment contract?

Yes, he's not locked into anything wrt to enlisting until he leaves. If he wants to be an officer, then enlisting is the worst way to go about it. Oh, what is AF UPT? Just curious.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor

WTF? First, your title askes if you can become an officer, but instead talk about your friend. Then your grammer and spelling are atrocious. So, can you be an officer? No. Your friend? Not if he can't ask his own questions.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
WTF? First, your title askes if you can become an officer, but instead talk about your friend. Then your grammer and spelling are atrocious. So, can you be an officer? No. Your friend? Not if he can't ask his own questions.

askes, grammar

Sorry, *had* to do it.

First: spellcheck. Please.
Next: Tell him not to enlist. Enlisting with the end-goal of obtaining a commission when you already have a degree is like taking the 20-mile scenic route to the grocery store 5 blocks down the road. Hopefully he is familiar with the magic of the Internet, and therefore should be fully capable of getting on these boards and asking the question himself.

jpmatta16

im sorry about my grammar i know its horrible since im from another country and learned english only 5 years ago. and the reason i ask for my friend is because he is not register in any forum and he just told me about his situation so i thought i would ask before giving him any false info.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
im sorry about my grammar i know its horrible since im from another country and learned english only 5 years ago. and the reason i ask for my friend is because he is not register in any forum and he just told me about his situation so i thought i would ask before giving him any false info.

Well, that's commendable but he should still be the one to ask. My post still stands:

If he has a BS/BA in Business then tell him not to enlist. Just apply directly for a commission.

Also, where are you from?

jpmatta16

I was born and raised in colombia, and currently in the process for my citizenship so i can also apply. I know I know i have to get better on my grammar. it takes me alot of work to get the grammar but i do a good job in school

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I guess I have a different opinion in this than the rest of the posters. I tried to commission in the Summer of 2003...when the economy was pretty tanked out (much like now) and there weren't many jobs out of college (again, like now)

I was denied for OCS, and realized that I was competing against Engineers with a 4.0 and 7/7/6 62's while I was an Animal Science major with a 3.02 and a 5/5/5 58. Not the most competitive. Many guys just could not find a job and were using the military as a fallback. I had no problem with that, it just meant that the chances of me getting a commission were slim.

My ultimate purpose was to serve my country, so, I enlisted. I went in with my eyes open, knowing I was at the top of the food chain when it came to enlisted selection and I could pick any rate I wanted. I went Aircrew, as I really wanted to fly in the military, and I have never regretted a single day that I enlisted.

If your friend is joining because he wants to serve his country, then enlisting should be no problem for him. If he is trying to find a back door to a commission with the purpose of getting Govt. funded flight training to go to the airlines (not saying that is his goal, but I have seen it in JSUPT) he might want to try another route.

Unfortunately in this day and age a BS/BA is not the automatic ticket to a commission like it used to be (even in the Army)

I wouldn't discourage him from serving our country, as long as he has his motivation clear. Otherwise he may find himself 2 years into a crappy tour questioning his existence.

Get him to register on AW, and maybe poke around a little. He will get some good guidance here from some guys way saltier than I.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I guess I have a different opinion in this than the rest of the posters. I tried to commission in the Summer of 2003...when the economy was pretty tanked out (much like now) and there weren't many jobs out of college (again, like now)

...I was an Animal Science major with a 3.02 and a 5/5/5 58.

So wait, you applied for a commission only months after the invasion of Iraq, while we were still ultra-hot in Afghanistan, and were denied? That's not a bad ASTB score at all. So, who'd you kill?

i always wonder, just because i got bad grammar does that mean i have to have neg rep?

I would hope not. If English is your second language then there is absolutely no reason you should be getting repped down by anyone on this site, unless they were under the impression that you were trolling.

I got off duty and had a bit to drink.

+1 for drinking.