• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I become a NFO without a Top Secret Clearance?

kyleworden

I will contact the Aviation OCM per your instruction for more information.

Does the new TS clearances also apply to SWO? Or is that going to remain a 'Secret Clearance' type of officer package?

Do you guys happen to know if the Army warrant officer flight program requires a TS? Or the Air National Guard? I'm curious if this is just a Navy development or if this requirement is being held across the board. No big deal if it is, it just means that I have to find a new final goal to shoot for.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will contact the Aviation OCM per your instruction for more information.

Does the new TS clearances also apply to SWO? Or is that going to remain a 'Secret Clearance' type of officer package?

Do you guys happen to know if the Army warrant officer flight program requires a TS? Or the Air National Guard? I'm curious if this is just a Navy development or if this requirement is being held across the board. No big deal if it is, it just means that I have to find a new final goal to shoot for.
I can't answer that specifically, but I will say that communities that have previously operated at the secret level, like our helo folks, are now moving toward capabilities and interoperability requirements that will drive them into TS/SCI and other special access programs. Just giving you a sense of what the trend is.

That said, I would continue applying for what you want. In your original post, when you said "they said I would never get a TS," who is the they you're referring to? Let's rule out that this "they" isn't dispensing bad gouge, or otherwise isn't the adjudicating authority. I'm not sure how it works in the recruiting process, but a definitive ruling on your TS/SCI eligibility is going to come via SSO channels. I'd much rather you get to an official answer than to rely on an unofficial opinion.

kyleworden

I can't answer that specifically, but I will say that communities that have previously operated at the secret level, like our helo folks, are now moving toward capabilities and interoperability requirements that will drive them into TS/SCI and other special access programs. Just giving you a sense of what the trend is.

That said, I would continue applying for what you want. In your original post, when you said "they said I would never get a TS," who is the they you're referring to? Let's rule out that this "they" isn't dispensing bad gouge, or otherwise isn't the adjudicating authority. I'm not sure how it works in the recruiting process, but a definitive ruling on your TS/SCI eligibility is going to come via SSO channels. I'd much rather you get to an official answer than to rely on an unofficial opinion.
Will do, and thanks for the advice.

The ‘they’ was my classifier at boot camp. I went through an investigative interview (I think related to my SF-86) when I was originally going through to be a CTN. They didn’t like my answer to one of the questions so the investigator told me that I won’t have a TS and I can’t reapply. They are the official adjudicating authority on the matter.

I re-rated to a MA, which is what I am now. It isn’t a bad rate, there’s some opportunity to help and serve others in the way that I want to. I just want to get the most out of my experience in the Navy, which was the main reason why I was asking the questions above.

In the meantime, I will make sure to apply for what I want and make them tell me “no”. Worst case scenario, Air National Guard or Army Warrant Officer pilot programs may be a good fit for me after my contract in the Navy has expired if I am not able to go in my ‘Plan A’. It all depends on what they want and whether I fit and am willing to put the work in.