• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I become a Naval Officer with a benign heart murmur?

Distance2Hell

I was born with a heart murmur, due to being premature. The heart murmur is extremely slight, and very benign. I run miles, take no medication, and have had no surgery. Can I become a Naval Officer, through NROTC, with this condition, if I were to present documentation which states that the heart murmur is benign, and a formal letter from my civilian doctor stating that my heart murmur does not affect me in any way? I've wanted to become an officer in the Navy since I was a mere child, and I'd be crushed if my dreams were shattered over something so minor.

Thank you.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was born with a heart murmur, due to being premature. The heart murmur is extremely slight, and very benign. I run miles, take no medication, and have had no surgery. Can I become a Naval Officer, through NROTC, with this condition, if I were to present documentation which states that the heart murmur is benign, and a formal letter from my civilian doctor stating that my heart murmur does not affect me in any way? I've wanted to become an officer in the Navy since I was a mere child, and I'd be crushed if my dreams were shattered over something so minor.

Thank you.

Q- Can you become a Naval Officer with a heart murmur?
A- Probably. I did.

Q- Can you become a Naval Officer without learning how to use the "search function"?
A- Questionable.

Searching "heart murmur" here will yield a wealth of information to better preface your clueless question, and not appear unworthy. Here is what it yields me:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3673452

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I made a post on this a few months ago. What it comes down to is what exactly causes the murmur. I submitted all my related paperwork (echo results) before going down to MEPS, and I was disqualified, but recommended for a waiver. I believe that is the case for all murmurs, it will go to some surgeon general for the Navy to be either cleared or not cleared.

I have read of plenty of cases where its been waived, and a select few that weren't. Lucky for us their is much more known about heart murmurs than before, because my grandfather was immediately disqualified because of his. Check out the waiver guide though, it tells you exactly what happens for each specific case.

Hopefully I will find out soon if mine has been waived, because it would really suck to get the boot for something which I have no control over.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Q- Can you become a Naval Officer with a heart murmur?
A- Probably. I did.

So did I. They didn't discover "noise" until NAMI looked me over at PCola. One more EKG and they shrugged their shoulders. My sister has same thing.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Just remember the deal breaker at NAMI is waiver not recommended. Be NPQ'ed, or Not Physically Qualified, happens to many people. At first, the term "disqualified" looks horrible. It is not something you want to have, but you still have hope to get a waiver recommended. When you go in for your entrance physical and your first flight physical, make sure you have plenty of paperwork (additional copies for yourself) that supports your case.

Good luck and keep your chin up.

usmc_stud

pilot
I too had a heart murmur (which actually turned out to be preventricular contractions) but I passed up all the paperwork and eventually got a waiver. More importantly, however, I almost had a wrench thrown in my training when the original waiver could not be found in my medical record...KEEP A COPY OF EVERY IMPORTANT DOCUMENT YOU EVER RECIEVE...From then on I made a copies of everything (waivers, orders, certificates, etc.). If you do get the waiver, make sure you keep a copy of the original (with the stamp/seal) and be very wary of anyone who says they need to have the original.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I too had a heart murmur (which actually turned out to be preventricular contractions) but I passed up all the paperwork and eventually got a waiver. More importantly, however, I almost had a wrench thrown in my training when the original waiver could not be found in my medical record...KEEP A COPY OF EVERY IMPORTANT DOCUMENT YOU EVER RECIEVE...From then on I made a copies of everything (waivers, orders, certificates, etc.). If you do get the waiver, make sure you keep a copy of the original (with the stamp/seal) and be very wary of anyone who says they need to have the original.

Out of curiosity, does the waiver business ever go back on a decision? Say I were to get one for my heart murmur now, could they ever NPQ me for it in the future or am I in the clear from then on out (barring it doesn't get any worse I guess)?

I tried to search for this but had no luck.

staff03

Also depends on the severity of the murmur. I have a "trivial" heart murmur and it doesn't even require a waiver. Anything more severe than that however either requires one or if severe enough will DQ.

usmc_stud

pilot
Out of curiosity, does the waiver business ever go back on a decision? Say I were to get one for my heart murmur now, could they ever NPQ me for it in the future or am I in the clear from then on out (barring it doesn't get any worse I guess)?

I tried to search for this but had no luck.

My waiver says "waiver is contingent upon: member remains asymptomatic. annual submission required until waiver approval by line authority has been confirmed. submit every five years thereafter or upon change of condition or medicaion."

So to answer your questions, yes. I don't know if every waiver has this clause but mine does.