• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can History Majors be Fighter Pilots?

TOPGUN1991

Naval Aviation Hopeful!
Hello All!

I just joined this site and I think it looks great! It's the one I was looking for... My question is this: I am a major in History at the University of Houston in Houston, TX... I have wanted to fly in the navy since I saw Top Gun as a kid :) I am in the Phi Theta Kappa honor society and maintain a GPA between 3.7 and 4.0... If I go back and take the extra math and physics needed after I get my Bachelors degree, do I have ANY type of chance to get into OCS and go on to be a Naval Aviator? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-TOPGUN1991

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Show up to flight school, don't suck, and you'll get what you want. Needs of the Navy come first though, you graduate primary and all they need are helo pilots, guess what you're doing...

And no, he doesn't fly jets, look at his handle.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
READ MY LIPS...majors count for little...grades, test scores, fitness, flight school performance (airmanship & leadership} all mean a lot. BTW Navy "fighter pilots" no longer exist, VA (ATTACK) & VF (FIGHTER) are now combined as VFA (STRIKE FIGHTER). Stop sweating the college major!:rolleyes:
BzB, retired VA Pilot:cool:

KingsburyK

API Warrior
When I was new to this site, I had some kind souls point me in the right direction. I’ll do my best to help you along. We ask that you use the search function your questions, and if you can’t find the answer in the wealth of information here, by all means post away.

Now, in regards to your question…Yes. History majors can become pilots. I was just selected for pilot with an International Relations major. As BusyBee604 mentioned, there is much much more that goes into a competitive package besides major. Things like GPA, ASTB score, community service, letters of recommendation, interview scores, leadership positions, involvement in sports, etc…Make sure you are well rounded! The Navy looks for the “Total Person” concept in your application. Get in touch with an Officer Recruiter, and get the process started if you are truly interested in becoming a Naval Officer. The application process is LONG, get started NOW.

I’ll leave you with some threads to get you pointed in the right direction.

As I mentioned, you will need to take the ASTB. Here is a thread with loads of information on the subject:
http://www.airwarriors.com/communit...st-your-scores-ask-your-questions-here.28348/

Since you asked about OCS, here is a thread on that subject:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/138577-sTUPID-qUESTIONS-aBOUT-ocs/page95

Best of luck!

TOPGUN1991

Naval Aviation Hopeful!
READ MY LIPS...majors count for little...grades, test scores, fitness, flight school performance (airmanship & leadership} all mean a lot. BTW Navy "fighter pilots" no longer exist, VA (ATTACK) & VF (FIGHTER) are now combined as VFA (STRIKE FIGHTER). Stop sweating the college major!:rolleyes:
BzB, retired VA Pilot:cool:
THANK YOU, SIR! I am very grateful! :)

TOPGUN1991

Naval Aviation Hopeful!
Thank you, too, KingsburyK! It has always been my dream... And by the way, congrats on being accepted for flight training!

TOPGUN1991

Naval Aviation Hopeful!
When I was new to this site, I had some kind souls point me in the right direction. I’ll do my best to help you along. We ask that you use the search function your questions, and if you can’t find the answer in the wealth of information here, by all means post away.

Now, in regards to your question…Yes. History majors can become pilots. I was just selected for pilot with an International Relations major. As BusyBee604 mentioned, there is much much more that goes into a competitive package besides major. Things like GPA, ASTB score, community service, letters of recommendation, interview scores, leadership positions, involvement in sports, etc…Make sure you are well rounded! The Navy looks for the “Total Person” concept in your application. Get in touch with an Officer Recruiter, and get the process started if you are truly interested in becoming a Naval Officer. The application process is LONG, get started NOW.

I’ll leave you with some threads to get you pointed in the right direction.

As I mentioned, you will need to take the ASTB. Here is a thread with loads of information on the subject:
http://www.airwarriors.com/communit...st-your-scores-ask-your-questions-here.28348/

Since you asked about OCS, here is a thread on that subject:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/138577-sTUPID-qUESTIONS-aBOUT-ocs/page95

Best of luck!
WHOA! THANKS A MILLION FOR ALL THE WEBSITES AND INFORMATION! I really appreciate it! ;)
-TOPGUN1991