• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can being dive qualified open up more shore billets?

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I was wondering if a submarine officer was SCUBA qualified, could it help in his career path? Could it perhaps open up more shore billets?
I doubt this will get many answers on this aviation board, but I was hoping somone could help me.
-OC

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I spoke to a couple of my Senior Chiefs who are EOD techs to confirm the below.

Being SCUBA qualified will not enable you to dive for the Navy. You will have to attend, at least, BDO school in Panama City in order to get a job as a Diving Officer.

That being said, I doubt that being SCUBA qualified will do anything for your career.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
If James Bond has taught me anything, it is that submarine officers routinely escape out of the boat using scuba equipment.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
feddoc said:
Being SCUBA qualified will not enable you to dive for the Navy. You will have to attend, at least, BDO school in Panama City in order to get a job as a Diving Officer.

EOD guys go after commissioning, and I know CEC has some dive billets as well. Bottom line: I don't think subs has any dive billets, so there's no way the sub detailer is going to hook you up with that.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
one of the officers at our unit said that fast boats have a dive crew onboard that goes down to check the boat out before leaving ever port.. anyone else hear something similar?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Do you mean fast attack subs? If so, yes, I've heard of that (in fact, there's someone on this board who was prior deep sea who did just that), but those are spec ops divers, not submariners. They're just along for the ride.

boobcheese

Subs do have a dive qualified officer. You have to go to navy dive school and I think you get like $100-$200/mo for proficiency pay. I doubt very seriously if a PADI dive qualification will open any doors for you.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I'm trying to find some justification for asking my command (the NROTC unit) to send me to Dive school for SCUBA training. I had figured I could take advantage of my AD status and go TAD to dive school, but I'm hearing nothing encouraging from the senior enlisted advisor. I wanted to be able to say "going to dive school will enable me to do ____" in order to convince my CO that it would be useful training.
That was the point of my original question.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
I'm trying to find some justification for asking my command (the NROTC unit) to send me to Dive school for SCUBA training. I had figured I could take advantage of my AD status and go TAD to dive school, but I'm hearing nothing encouraging from the senior enlisted advisor. I wanted to be able to say "going to dive school will enable me to do ____" in order to convince my CO that it would be useful training.
That was the point of my original question.
I think the bottom line is that the Navy will send you to X school if they require you to have skills in X, and not because you want to have skills in X, or think it would be otherwise neat-o.

Brett

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Every sub has a certain number of enlisted and officer divers. They're not Spec Op, just submariners who go to dive school.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
FlyingBeagle said:
Every sub has a certain number of enlisted and officer divers. They're not Spec Op, just submariners who go to dive school.

So you're saying that there are Officers who have been to Nuclear Power School, prototype, sub school, and on top of that the Basic Diviing Officer's course? I never heard the pitch for subs that there's a diving option.

etnuclearsailor said:
I was wondering if a submarine officer was SCUBA qualified, could it help in his career path?...

About as much as I plan on it helping me in my aviation career...

jai5w4:icon_smil

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Thisguy said:
So you're saying that there are Officers who have been to Nuclear Power School, prototype, sub school, and on top of that the Basic Diviing Officer's course? I never heard the pitch for subs that there's a diving option.

Yes. I don't know when most people do it during their training, but they sent my friend went to dive school just prior starting nuke school.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Thisguy said:
but those are spec ops divers

Not true, there is a dive qual that submariners can get. One of the guys in my NSI class was dive qualed Navy style to check the sub prior to underway. I don't know what he had to do, but he was a sub ET (non-nuke) that had a dive pin and did that stuff.