• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can anyone clarify IP time for me

Huggy Bear

pilot
I'm having trouble understanding IP time and how it should be logged for the FAA/airline purposes. I was a single seat hornet guy who did my last tour as an FRS IP. Do I understand this right?

...none of my time before my FRS Instructor tour was IP, since I was single seat, even if I was the mission commander and giving a younger guy a training flight.

...Which of my FRS IP time is FAA IP time. If I'm in the backseat with a stick is it IP time? If I'm solo and leading studs on my wing is it IP time? If I'm just ferrying a jet with no studs in the flight is it IP time?

Thanks in advance, a quick search of google, airlinepilotcentral and other forums left me dry (or maybe I'm the only dummy whose never heard of logging this).

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I'm having trouble understanding IP time and how it should be logged for the FAA/airline purposes. I was a single seat hornet guy who did my last tour as an FRS IP. Do I understand this right?

...none of my time before my FRS Instructor tour was IP, since I was single seat, even if I was the mission commander and giving a younger guy a training flight.

...Which of my FRS IP time is FAA IP time. If I'm in the backseat with a stick is it IP time? If I'm solo and leading studs on my wing is it IP time? If I'm just ferrying a jet with no studs in the flight is it IP time?

Thanks in advance, a quick search of google, airlinepilotcentral and other forums left me dry (or maybe I'm the only dummy whose never heard of logging this).

All of the back seat time counts as "dual given." Leading a section or division, while IMO should count as dual given, I can't see how you could under the definition in the FAR's.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Call your local FSDO and they can clarify it for you. They probably wont know what you are talking about but can give you the exact definition (which then can be legally twisted to make it work for you:)). I looked through the FAR's and couldn't find a clear cut answer but my educated CFI guess is if your name is in the students log book, you can log it as IP time.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm having trouble understanding IP time and how it should be logged for the FAA/airline purposes.....
ARE YOU TRYING TO GET OUT AND GO FOR THE AIRLINES ??!!??!!??!!??!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

YOU SWINE !!! :D YOU SLACKER !!! :D

HAL's better than me on the current rules & regs ... maybe PM him .... the rules & regs seem to change when the wind changes or the FAA farts ... but all your Instructor time "should" count as PIC time .... it used to.

And .... you MUST believe it.

Then, you can pass a polygraph on your flight time fantasies ... as I did twice ..... !!!! :eek::eek:

The Air Force counts "flight time" as engine clock time ... "we" count it as break release to touchdown .... YOU OWE YOURSELF ANOTHER .2 HOURS PER FLIGHT TO BE "COMPETITIVE" ... or .... check out the individual airlines and see which apply a "bump" to Navy flight time in recognition of the realities of NAVAIR.

But .... I suspect in these days .... when most airline hiring departments (HR) have NOT A CLUE .... (read below) ....

Suggestion: keep two (2) logbooks ... one Navy and one civilian ... I did. :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
HAL's better than me on the current rules & regs ... maybe PM him ....
I'm not sure on this one - never been in this situation. If you had a FAA CFI, the time you spent in the back seat would obviously be dual given (the FAA equivalent of IP time). If you don't, I see it like an ATP instructing for an airline but I've never heard of those guys logging it as dual given as most don't care at that point. I'm not sure if they even can if they don't have a CFI/MEI.

Ferrying with no studs would definitely not be IP. I'm not even sure the Navy would call it IP.

Most applications I've seen where they care about military IP or civilian check airmen hours just ask for that. Then I would just put whatever number is in your Navy log.

Sorry I can't really help - but I know another place to ask and will see what they say there.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lots of airlines advertise a minimum # of hours for "PIC" ... so .... who is the "PIC" in the cockpit of an Instructor "controlled or led" flight ... ????

YOU are the PIC. Unless the rotation of the Earth has come unglued.

You do the math ... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
'Scuse me ... perhaps I misread your post and/or intent ... you said "IP" and I was thinking "PIC", 'cause that's what counts.

NOBODY gives a shit about "IP" time ... only "PIC" time ... again, unless the Earth has been bumped off it's rotation ...

Lots of C-150 Instructors have beaucoup "IP" time; and nobody cares .... but: the airlines are focused, for better or for worse, on who is "controlling" the aircraft. PIC is the name of the game ...

Log your Instructor time (in your civilian logbook) as PIC time ... it's right, you did it, and it will work for the airlines.

I interviewed applicants for two (2) airlines and that was the case ... unless something is "different" today ... and that's always a possibility.

Except that nothing "really" changes ...