• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can a new Navy officer be assigned to Chicago area?

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
i alreddy hav a masters and prior experience and i wundered if ne1 could tell me if i can fly jets again but not in south texas but in north texas where my family is from and i really want to end up there. also i have always been told i hav a really good way with word. and attention to detale.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Medical and Jag I believe start off at higher Officer ranks.

Your mileage may vary...from Medical Corps Manual:

(1) Initial appointments in the Medical Service
Corps, Naval Reserve, are made in the grades of
Ensign, Lieutenant (junior grade), and Lieutenant
depending upon the professional and personal qualifications
of the applicant as outlined in
SECNAVINST 1120.8 series (10 USC 5574).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Nope. There are Staff Corps careers where they recruit certain degrees/pedigrees and you bypass Ensign. Typical ones are targeted medical professions and JAG.
I thought he was talking about URL officer spots. Also, JAG, medical, etc. wouldn't apply to the OP with a PhD.

m26

Contributor
I thought he was talking about URL officer spots. Also, JAG, medical, etc. wouldn't apply to the OP with a PhD.

Clinical psych, maybe?

Idk if the Navy uses clinical psychologists, though. And I think we've only established that the OP's degree is not in English.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, it's called entry grade credit, but it only works for certain staff corps designators.

Note: Staff Corps, not URL and it depends on type of PhD as Medical Service Corps (MSC) has several other fields. Staff Corps also includes CEC and Chaplain Corps.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Clinical psych, maybe?

Idk if the Navy uses clinical psychologists, though. And I think we've only established that the OP's degree is not in English.

In addition to the Clinical types, Navy also has Laboratory Psychologists and even a small number of "Cognitive Scientists".

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
i alreddy hav a masters and prior experience and i wundered if ne1 could tell me if i can fly jets again but not in south texas but in north texas where my family is from and i really want to end up there. also i have always been told i hav a really good way with word. and attention to detale.

lol.. thank you for putting that last line in there! I was reading that thinking "wow... didn't we just discuss grammar and punctuation.. many times?" Was working on suffering a slight aneurysm.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I met a doctor who sold his practice to joint the Medical Corps while I was in Newport. He was commissioned as an O-4. He was a surgeon and had orders to go directly to Iraq when ODS was over. He told me that his peers thought he was nuts for taking such a pay cut, but he felt like it was the right thing for him to do.

Needless to say, I bought him a beer and said thank you.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
lol.. thank you for putting that last line in there! I was reading that thinking "wow... didn't we just discuss grammar and punctuation.. many times?" Was working on suffering a slight aneurysm.

yeah, thats pretty funny but nobdy still ansered my question. i got lots of flight time in jets and i could do a lot of good in north texas where my family is. my dad was in the marine corp in ww2 and he worked on planes. you guys just like to make fun of bad grammer and dont help no one. ;-)

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
yeah, thats pretty funny but nobdy still ansered my question. i got lots of flight time in jets and i could do a lot of good in north texas where my family is. my dad was in the marine corp in ww2 and he worked on planes. you guys just like to make fun of bad grammer and dont help no one. ;-)

I'd answer ya if I could... but I'm not qualified to. :)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

If you get your application in tomorrow, you can be stationed in North Texas. They have a secret underground Naval Base where they stow an extra carrier, and they take an underground sea lane that can go to either the Atlantic or Pacific. Whoever said this "blue water Navy" gig required living on the coast doesn't know what they're talking about!

Don't delay though! If you don't get your application in by tomorrow, there will be no more jet slots for your flight school class.

:icon_tong

Will_T

Will_T
If you get your application in tomorrow, you can be stationed in North Texas. They have a secret underground Naval Base where they stow an extra carrier, and they take an underground sea lane that can go to either the Atlantic or Pacific. Whoever said this "blue water Navy" gig required living on the coast doesn't know what they're talking about!

Don't delay though! If you don't get your application in by tomorrow, there will be no more jet slots for your flight school class.

:icon_tong

Where do i sign up!?
:D

Cleonard19

Contributor
Where do i sign up!?
:D

Only the enlisted recruiters can get you orders there. And the only way to do it is to say you'll go undesignated, because that really means undisclosed. So all you do is go to the recruiter and say you want to go undesignated to the USS North Texas, but only if you can leave tomorrow.Its so super secret they send you to school with the enlisted peoples because they don't want anyone to know that it exists.
;)

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Now that right there was some quality thread-jackin'! Youngsters take note.:icon_tong
And if everyone is done with the silliness, the mods can probably kill this one.

Cheers

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only two reasons to get a PHD:
1. Teaching
2. Research

The Navy is not going to pay you any more for a PHD.

-ea6bflyr ;)