• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can a new Navy officer be assigned to Chicago area?

plummer1984

Can SWO be positioned on shore after SWO school after OCS? I would like to go to Great Lakes, IL after SWO school if accepted to OCS in order to attend Layola University. If so how is that possible?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can SWO be positioned on shore after SWO school after OCS? I would like to go to Great Lakes, IL after SWO school if accepted to OCS in order to attend Layola University. If so how is that possible?

Steve Shedd should provide policy on that, but in literally every community, you are recruited to serve in a "mainstream" billet to earn your warfare designator while completing your obligation. Most opportunities to go back to school incur an additional "payback" assignment. Deferring to Steve of course, why would the SWO or any other community sign you up to go back to school before you've even proven yourself and are on your initial obligation?

No, you have to go to a ship for 4 years. Then you rotate to a shore tour.

Is SWO community so short that they have increased the first sea tour to four vice three years?

plummer1984

thank you but i only have three classes left to complete my masters and by the summer if i get accepted to ocs i would only have one class left in which is a class that I have to write a paper and thats it. which to me if all i have to do is write a paper for one whole semester i can be at ocs. i will already paid for my classes so the military would not pay for anything.

Steve Shedd

PERS-41 Detailer
None
A great place to start is the PERS-41 homepage at http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/SurfaceWarfare/

Click on the "Career Planner Brief" link to get an overview of the SWO career path. A great tool is the SWO Career Planner. It's a PowerPoint application on steroids allowing you to input up to three career paths and display them against the nominal career path.

Ok - answers to questions:

1) No shore duty after OCS or "SWO school." You go straight to sea duty. Shore duty comes around the 48 month mark.

2) None of our ships are homeported in Chicago. (No "boats" in the Surface Navy.:icon_wink)

3) For heyjoe - nothing to do with short. Since 1995 we've had two Division Officer tours. From 1995-2001 the two tours were 24 months each. Starting in 2001, we went to a 27/18 construct. The average SWO crosses their sea/shore flowpoint around 48 months and starts the Department Head pipeline around the 90 month mark (7.5 YCS).

Steve Shedd

PERS-41 Detailer
None
thank you but i only have three classes left to complete my masters and by the summer if i get accepted to ocs i would only have one class left in which is a class that I have to write a paper and thats it. which to me if all i have to do is write a paper for one whole semester i can be at ocs. i will already paid for my classes so the military would not pay for anything.

Once you start OCS and you are a SWO, your path is set for a few years. If you complete you masters via correspondence no problem. It may be worthwhile to delay your entry into the Navy - but that's your call.

plummer1984

do you have to interview for supply? and how often are the boards? can your first assignment be shore duty like Chicago or does it have to be on a boat?

m26

Contributor
do you have to interview for supply? and how often are the boards? can your first assignment be shore duty like Chicago or does it have to be on a boat?

No.
Monthly, or close.
Shore duty, yes, though it's unlikely. You'll almost certainly be at sea.

Asking every community whether they'll give you exactly what you want with almost no contribution from yourself is unlikely to endear you the people on these boards. The Navy doesn't exist to send you to grad school.

Chicago doesn't connect to the ocean. Think about this...

plummer1984

thank you and graduate school ill be done in the summer and i already pay for it just wanted to know my options my recruiter helps me a lot but I want first had answers from people that are in the field and already been through the process.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Do you mean Loyola perhaps? Or is Layola another university?

.....i only have three classes left to complete my masters and by the summer if i get accepted to ocs i would only have one class left in which is a class that I have to write a paper and thats it. which to me if all i have to do is write a paper for one whole semester i can be at ocs. i will already paid for my classes so the military would not pay for anything.

You've answered your own question or at least obviated the need to be in Chicago if you want to be there to complete your master's or are you talking about starting another course of instruction (2nd Masters or PhD perhaps?).

Regardless, if you think you'll have time to write a paper while at OCS, you haven't read the threads here. It isn't summer camp. It's a 24/7 immersion experience.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

As you heard in the SWO thread, the likelihood of joining the Navy and getting stationed in Chicago for your first assignment isn't feasible. The Navy expects you to go to sea (like posted told you above; this is the Navy afterall). After you sea duty, you can strive for a shore assignment in Illinois, but you'd have to look at NROTC instructor duty, Recruiting assignment or if you decide Supply Corps is to your liking, endeavor to get assigned to Great Lakes for your shore duty AFTER you go to sea first.

That said, if you have to get out of San Diego where there is Navy assignments galore and pretty close to paradise on earth as far as weather(makes you suspect already), why not go Reserve DCO route and work out of Great Lakes?

plummer1984

Hey Joe said:
You've answered your own question or at least obviated the need to be in Chicago if you want to be there to complete your master's or are you talking about starting another course of instruction (2nd Masters or PhD perhaps?).

Regardless, if you think you'll have time to write a paper while at OCS, you haven't read the threads here. It isn't summer camp. It's a 24/7 immersion experience.

sorry you where right about the name of the university. I want to begin a
PHD program and my paper is already completed and binded but they just need to callo it a semester because the paper is a course so meanwhile I would be in OCS my paper would be already completed and I would just focus on OCS.