• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

calling shotgun

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
it's time to empty out the gun fund, and i thought i'd see what pertinent jewels of advice i could get from this, my favorite of peanut galleries.

the challenge: the best pump action shotgun i can get for four hundred bucks

have at it

thanks

note: the four hundred bucks isn't set in stone, just a practical goal.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Remington 870 Express. Hands down. Everything else is an imitation.

pilot06

I concur. I've had an 870 Express Magnum for over 12yrs and never had a problem with it. Even dropped it in the water duck hunting one time and it still functioned flawlessly.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are many variants too. Short barrel, long barrel, wood, synthetic, magnum. It goes on. They have lots of modifications available to them as well. I have a 18" synthetic stock version, cylinder bore. It's designed for home defense... and works GREAT at shooting skeet too. I want a long barrel for it (soooo easy to swap out) as well.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
What is the purpose of said shotgun? Home defense? Bird hunting, if so what kind? Shotguns have many uses, and many shotguns for those uses.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
And the Remington 870 can cover them all :)

Sorry, but I don't want to be lugging around a 12 gauge if I'm going pheasant hunting all day. I'd much rather have my Ithaca lightweight 20 gauge, I'll get it up and shot before you have your hulking gun to the shoulder. Now, if you have the 20 gauge version, nah I'll still take my ithaca for pheasant hunting.

However, for an all purpose, I hear the 870 is darn good.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would hardly call my 870 heavy. It's not light, but it's not heavy either. Who said it had to be 12 gauge? Speaking of.. you never did specify michaels601 which chambering?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
said shotgun can be used for pretty much whatever, just put a different choke tube in or change the barrel. I have a rifled slug barrel if I so desire to hunt deer or whatever (for example, in Ohio where rifle hunting of deer is not allowed). I can just pop that barrel off, put on a smooth bore with a modified choke and I'm off to hunt turkey.

As for home defense, I think pretty much any shotgun is gonna be useful as the spray pattern in close quarters will pretty much f-up whoever is on the wrong end.

And yeah, unless you're carrying the super old school shotguns, they are all relatively light.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As for home defense, I think pretty much any shotgun is gonna be useful as the spray pattern in close quarters will pretty much f-up whoever is on the wrong end.

A common myth.

At most home defense ranges, even with a cylinder bore, the pellet grouping is still tight. You don't get this huge spray like you see in DOOM.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
A common myth.

At most home defense ranges, even with a cylinder bore, the pellet grouping is still tight. You don't get this huge spray like you see in DOOM.

True, pellet grouping is always going to be tight at cqb range, but there is some inherent spread, which is why shotguns make good riot control.

Caveat, a 26 inch shotgun barrel with a full choke at cqb range is going to essentially behave like a solid shot, but a generality can be given to shotguns at close range with regards to pellet spread.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
True, pellet grouping is always going to be tight at cqb range, but there is some inherent spread, which is why shotguns make good riot control.

Caveat, a 26 inch shotgun barrel with a full choke at cqb range is going to essentially behave like a solid shot, but a generality can be given to shotguns at close range with regards to pellet spread.

The old myth of "you don't have to aim a shotgun" is just that, a myth. I just didn't want to get down that road, since even at 20 ft, the spread is very little. But you're right, a shotgun works great :)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
You can get a nice, brand new Mossberg 500 for about 200. I was lucky and stumbled upon a nice, used one for 150.