• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cali MAWP?

robav8r

None
Contributor
My list of "issues" with CA is growing...to include them chasing my out of state plates down for the "property tax' etc.

Getting ready to move to Cali early next year (FL resident & plates) - can you elaborate ???

dmcginn2

I sure can unfortunatley...been stationed there now for my 3rd time.

First, there are lots of things I love about CA. Great place to visit or be stationed there temporarily.

Having said that, I have had the following issues.

1. The license plates...there is a annual "property tax" of sorts that CA residents pay on their vehicles. Active Duty Military is exempt if they decide to register their vehicle there. For me I keep TN plates on all my vehicles. But, this time around, someone keeps reporting my TN license plate to the California Highway patrol claiming that they will investigate to see if I am keeping my plates out of state to avoid emissions inspection or avoid the property tax. I solved the problem the first time by calling the investigating officer and he took care of it. The 2nd time I just ignored it. I am complying with the law so what else can I do. Additionally, My advice is to not register a vehicle in CA in the first place. I think that's what caused me problem #2 below. Also, I took a friend of mine to pick up a new BMW the 2nd time I got stationed here. he forgot to bring a copy of his orders, and they had just trippled the property tax on vehicles. So he wound up paying $650. that was back around the Recall of Gov Wilson where Gov Arnie won...

2. After I pcs'd out of the state my 2nd time, and just 5 days prior to deployment, they tried to come after me for $8,000 in income taxes. I informed them I was not a resident, and asked them why I didn't owe for the other 3 yrs I was there. They then tried to claim I owed for those taxes...to make a long long long story short, I ended up getting it straightened out via the Tax Advocate office of California. I believe registering my motorcycle there caused all this...I provided them with my orders the first year I was there so they knew but I digress.

3. Now I have a slight issue with my Bushmaster and WASR-10, they originally allowed me to register them in CA as active duty military, but now the rules have changed. I am now stuck with two weapons I either have to give up, drive out of state, or ship home to my dad.

So there you have it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
<--- Shakes fist at the sky.

I had the same issue with income tax there. Simple phone call straightened it out, but they repeated the process for the following year. One more phone call, but still, you'd think they kept better records than that. Never made the connection with the vehicle registration, but I also registered my motorcycle there... perhaps that was their tipper.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
3. Now I have a slight issue with my Bushmaster and WASR-10, they originally allowed me to register them in CA as active duty military, but now the rules have changed. I am now stuck with two weapons I either have to give up, drive out of state, or ship home to my dad.

So there you have it.

Since both are "On List" lowers/firearms, and they were registered, it's probably safest to just ship them home. Then again, if you stash them in your closet, never to see the light of day, I really doubt anyone would say anything.

You could ask on Calguns.net, but I have a feeling the thread would just degenerate into people bashing "senior leadership" and how they won't stand up for their people...even though that letter is pretty much completely illegal for a commander to sign.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You really haven't answered the question, and I went back and looked at the list... The two rifles you mention aren't necessarily on the list. I don't see the WASR-10 on there (you can buy them in stores, I believe), so I don't think it's an issue having it in state. Not sure what kind of Bushmaster you have, but you might want to look on the list and see if this is really something you need to worry about.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/List_of_Assault_Weapons_banned_by_name

dmcginn2

You really haven't answered the question, and I went back and looked at the list... The two rifles you mention aren't necessarily on the list. I don't see the WASR-10 on there (you can buy them in stores, I believe), so I don't think it's an issue having it in state. Not sure what kind of Bushmaster you have, but you might want to look on the list and see if this is really something you need to worry about.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/List_of_Assault_Weapons_banned_by_name

The question I was trying to answer was rbav8r's about his license plates...somewhat related re: miltary exempt type stuff.

As far as the link goes, my bushmaster XM15 is on there, but you are right, the WASR-10 (AK variant) is not.

If I have this correctly, the WASR-10 is still banned even though it is not on the list because of the "features" but I can do something to give it a fixed magazine or remove a feature?

Bottom line is it's all ridiculous. I guess I am out of luck.

Lesson learned.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The question I was trying to answer was rbav8r's about his license plates...somewhat related re: miltary exempt type stuff.

As far as the link goes, my bushmaster XM15 is on there, but you are right, the WASR-10 (AK variant) is not.

If I have this correctly, the WASR-10 is still banned even though it is not on the list because of the "features" but I can do something to give it a fixed magazine or remove a feature?

Bottom line is it's all ridiculous. I guess I am out of luck.

Lesson learned.

I just meant on the firearm front. I didn't mean my last post as directed towards your registration issues.

I wasn't sure what Bushmaster you had, but yes, if it's a XM-15, you're done. But for the WASR, all you need to do is go down to Parallax Tactical and get an AK bullet button. Then your gun is legal and requires no registration. Annoying, yes. But it's the "easiest" solution.

Ridiculous? Ridiculous is not being able to buy a LE6920, but being able to buy a LE6940, even though the lower is exactly the same. I feel your pain.