• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cali MAWP?

Carlos Caliente

None
I'm stuck in CA for the foreseeable future and have just now heard the state has some "special" Military Assault Weapons Permits for deserving military non-residents. It isn't advertised on the DOJ site and details are sketchy. From what I understand it exempts active duty military from the assault weapons ban, meaning one can own and operate a full up semi auto weapon without neutering it to conform to CA gun laws - provided you don't have any mags larger than 10 rds.
Before I call the CA DOJ, has anyone gotten one of these and exactly what does it buy you?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm stuck in CA for the foreseeable future and have just now heard the state has some "special" Military Assault Weapons Permits for deserving military non-residents. It isn't advertised on the DOJ site and details are sketchy. From what I understand it exempts active duty military from the assault weapons ban, meaning one can own and operate a full up semi auto weapon without neutering it to conform to CA gun laws - provided you don't have any mags larger than 10 rds.
Before I call the CA DOJ, has anyone gotten one of these and exactly what does it buy you?

I looks in to it when I was in SD. It was essentially going to cost me 70 or so dollars a year to be able to legally keep my SKS - with a bunch of restrictions (like magazine capacity) that made it not worth pursuing. Check out the details though. There was a thread on here 3-4 years ago with a link.

You guys gonna be up here at all this summer?

Brett

Carlos Caliente

None
Yep Brett, 4th of july for sure because I have to work a cat 4 syllabus sometime around then...I didn't even think to ask you of this - fail on my part! Thanks dude, see ya!

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
I just sent my application off today. If you call the California DOJ's Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-8100 and ask for a Military Assault Weapons Permit they'll get your mailing address and send you the application and fingerprint cards. You'll need to send them a copy of your PCS orders and $73 with the completed application and fingerprints. The application consists of:

-Name, Rank, Military ID number (SSN), Mailing/Physical Address, Phone Number
-Branch of Service, Name and Address of Base or Station
-Make, Model and Serial Number of Assault Weapon(s) to be Permitted
-Applicant's Signature

Based on what I've read on a few different gun forums online, yearly renewal is free if done on time. If not, it's a $25 fee.

It allows you to possess, transport and use a California registered Assault Weapon(s) in accordance with PC section 12285 (c) 1 through 7. It doesn't change anything about California's magazine laws (no more than 10 rounds unless you had them here before the ban), and you can't acquire additional assault weapons and add them to the permit.

I'll update this once they receive my application and I get the permit.

Carlos Caliente

None
It doesn't change anything about California's magazine laws (no more than 10 rounds unless you had them here before the ban), and you can't acquire additional assault weapons and add them to the permit.

I'll update this once they receive my application and I get the permit.

So it pretty much applies only if you owned the weapon PRIOR to being PCS'ed to CA - i.e no buying a weapon while stationed in CA and applying for a MAWP for that weapon?

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
So it pretty much applies only if you owned the weapon PRIOR to being PCS'ed to CA - i.e no buying a weapon while stationed in CA and applying for a MAWP for that weapon?

Yes. I forgot to mention they send you a 4 page packet with your application that has all the applicable laws pertaining to the MAWP. One of the terms/conditions is "The permittee is not authorized to purchase or acquire additional assault weapons while in California. Subsequent to issuance of a permit, assault weapons may not be added to the permit."

Now this only applies to California designated "assault weapons". You can still buy/build California legal ARs with the use of a Bullet Button, Monsterman Grip, etc. This blog post explains it.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
So is the MAWP still in effect? Need to take an A2 AR-15 and an M9 into California long-term. Neither have 10 rd mags at this time (least of my concerns).

Also, what's the turn-around time on getting the permit back? PCS date is about 3 weeks out.

EDIT: just called the number, it seems that nowadays a letter from the BASE C.O. is required to get the permit...friggin' awesome! "Hey Colonel Seaton, mind writing this letter for me?" I already hate California...how is it that the Promise Land can be so shitty?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So is the MAWP still in effect? Need to take an A2 AR-15 and an M9 into California long-term. Neither have 10 rd mags at this time (least of my concerns).

Also, what's the turn-around time on getting the permit back? PCS date is about 3 weeks out.

EDIT: just called the number, it seems that nowadays a letter from the BASE C.O. is required to get the permit...friggin' awesome! "Hey Colonel Seaton, mind writing this letter for me?" I already hate California...how is it that the Promise Land can be so shitty?

It's even a little more daunting than that (from what I've been researching). It's not just a letter from the base CO, but the letter has to say that you're using the weapon for your duties, which has it's own legal issues and generally isn't even allowed (again, based on what I've read from the 'experts' online...but mostly at calguns, which is pretty savvy in this stuff).

Also, from everything I've read here and on CA's site, the MAWP would only allow you to a) possess a non-OLL weapon and/or b) not have to neuter it with a button. You would still have had to abide by the 10 round limit.

I'm just glad all of my lowers are OLL, which was mostly intentional.

dmcginn2

I would like to add my .02 here. I pcs'd into CA a couple years ago and legally registered them. I renewed the permit last year without any issues.

This year the rules changed. I now have to provide a letter from the base commander, and some form about "report of use in military sanctioned activities".

I spoke to my legal team on base, and basically, the letter appears to be a no-go from the base commander to certify "bona fide need to use personal assault weapons in military sanctioned activities".

So now I am stuck TDY in Norfolk, with a permit that expires on 10 July that can't be renewed. So I either have to get them shipped home somehow (through a CA dealer that can handle assault weapons) or I have a short drive to NV to put them in storage....

My list of "issues" with CA is growing...to include them chasing my out of state plates down for the "property tax' etc.

MasterBates

VA is chasing down out of state plates for property tax as well, but has much better gun laws.

Wyoming is better though.

I just applied for a SBR permit in Wyoming, and the Chief of Police at the "Hall of Justice" (we no shit call it that) suggested SHTF, TEOTWAWKI or Zombies as reasons for it.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would like to add my .02 here. I pcs'd into CA a couple years ago and legally registered them. I renewed the permit last year without any issues.

This year the rules changed. I now have to provide a letter from the base commander, and some form about "report of use in military sanctioned activities".

I spoke to my legal team on base, and basically, the letter appears to be a no-go from the base commander to certify "bona fide need to use personal assault weapons in military sanctioned activities".

So now I am stuck TDY in Norfolk, with a permit that expires on 10 July that can't be renewed. So I either have to get them shipped home somehow (through a CA dealer that can handle assault weapons) or I have a short drive to NV to put them in storage....

My list of "issues" with CA is growing...to include them chasing my out of state plates down for the "property tax' etc.
I lived in CA before the assault weapons mil exemption. Just keep the weapons that the new law applies to disassembled and out of sight an d you'll be fine. There's absolutely no reason to go to extreme measures.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I lived in CA before the assault weapons mil exemption. Just keep the weapons that the new law applies to disassembled and out of sight an d you'll be fine. There's absolutely no reason to go to extreme measures.

I get your point but there's a difference between out of sight/out of mind and actually getting to take them out shooting.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I get your point but there's a difference between out of sight/out of mind and actually getting to take them out shooting.
Of course, but the issue was whether or not the guy was going to ship them home for storage. I say, just store them in your closet.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Are your firearms named lowers or are they just in a "featured" configuration. If they aren't named, putting a bullet button on or just taking them off the uppers makes them legal (or go featureless, if that's your thing). If they are named (LE6920, KAC, etc), then, well, I'd just put them in the closet and count the days until you can use them again. Or if you want to be more cautious, like you said, move them out of state.

dmcginn2

I did think of that, but my concern is they were registered, so the state knows I have them. Etc. I don't want them to come up with an excuse to show up at my door...

I wish I hadn't brought em, but it seemed better at the time to do so rather than leave them with family...