• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Calculus and Two Year Scholarship

Hallsy

Hey guys,
I've done a lot of searching and still can't find too much so hopefully this hasn't been covered before.
I'm currently a sophmore in college and plan on applying for a two year NROTC scholarship for next fall. I haven't taken any calculus classes yet but I'm currently taking Algebra 1050. I just read that you must have both of your calculus classes done prior to your junior year. I'll be able to take Calculus I next semester but I don't think there's any way I could get both in before next fall. Does this disqualify me for the scholarship? Or is it possible to complete the second calculus class during your junior year?
I talked to the recruiter at the unit, but he hasn't handled many two year scholarships before and isn't sure. He said the rules say something like "Must have completed or be close to completing before junior year." Does having Calculus I complete count as being close to completion?
Thanks for any help!
Eric

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Take my info with a grain of salt being I picked up a two year NROTC scholarship back in 1990, for 91-92. I hadn't taken any calculus or physics prior to the scholarship and finished them both my junior year. I remember the rules being the same back then but not sure now. Maybe the same?

mike172

GO NAVY
I thought if you were picked up for a 2 year the calc and physics requirements were waived.... perhaps not.

navy09

None
I thought if you were picked up for a 2 year the calc and physics requirements were waived.... perhaps not.

I'm almost sure this is not the case. IIRC, all ROTC grads must have Calc and Physics. You might not need it to get in the door, but that means you have to cram it into your last two years. As a result, it may be harder to get the scholarship without at least some Calc/Phys.

Hallsy

Like mdn09 said, I need to get it for sure. By next fall I'll have Calculus I completed. I'd take Calculus II in the summer but if I got the scholarship I'd have to go to Rhode Island for 6 weeks during the summer. I guess I'll just apply and see what they say.

alyssabr

I picked up a two year and im a senior now. You really need to have calculus done by your junior year, if you dont your co will have to do something special to keep you, though they are a lot less stringent these days. As long as you find a way to get all your Physics and Calc done by your senior year you will be good to go. Its tough but you can do it, just try to sit down and make a plan with your lt so they will know if youll need any help or if they need to talk to the co about it

P3 F0

None
I'm almost sure this is not the case. IIRC, all ROTC grads must have Calc and Physics. You might not need it to get in the door, but that means you have to cram it into your last two years. As a result, it may be harder to get the scholarship without at least some Calc/Phys.
[nitpick]When I went through, this was only true for scholarship Midns. College Program guys did not have this requirement. Granted, this may have changed in the last 13 years.[/nitpick]

vulcanx

Banned
I'm a 2 year and I need all the classes a 4 year has.

I'm taking physics this year and finished calc freshman year.