• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Calculus and Physics

redsox06

BDCP SWO
I have a quick question about calculus and physics. It seems that 2 semesters of calculus and calculus-based physics are pretty much required for every community when applying for BDCP (with a couple exceptions). Do these courses need to be completed before submitting my package? Or can I just explain that I will be taking these courses before graduating and (hopefully) reporting to OCS?

I haven't taken these courses yet, however I still have a few semesters left and will have taken them by the time I graduate. Is that all the board wants to hear or do they want to see me take them before selecting me?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I have a quick question about calculus and physics. It seems that 2 semesters of calculus and calculus-based physics are pretty much required for every community when applying for BDCP (with a couple exceptions). Do these courses need to be completed before submitting my package? Or can I just explain that I will be taking these courses before graduating and (hopefully) reporting to OCS?

I haven't taken these courses yet, however I still have a few semesters left and will have taken them by the time I graduate. Is that all the board wants to hear or do they want to see me take them before selecting me?

This is not a requirement for BDCP, just NROTC. I WAS an engineer, so I took them anyway, but AFAIK you can apply for BDCP with a theater degree not even knowing what a reciprocal is... as long as it's a degree from a 4 year accredited university.

redsox06

BDCP SWO
Thanks for your quick reply. I was mainly looking at SWO, and my recruiter said that they want to see two semesters of calculus and calculus-based physics. So I'm guessing from your response that they don't necessarily need to see that when I apply? I just need them if I actually get selected for SWO?

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Thanks for your quick reply. I was mainly looking at SWO, and my recruiter said that they want to see two semesters of calculus and calculus-based physics. So I'm guessing from your response that they don't necessarily need to see that when I apply? I just need them if I actually get selected for SWO?

Your recruiter is wrong, you don't need these for SWO. I don't have them, and won't have them and still got accepted to BDCP SWO...Im a history and law major. The only math I have is college algebra.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

No. YOU DO NOT NEED THEM. Your recruiter may WANT to see them (it may make you more competetive) but you can GRADUATE having never taken a college math or physics class and be a SWO/Pilot/NFO/Whatever (except possibly Nuke and CEC).

redsox06

BDCP SWO
Ok thanks for everyone's help. Here I was trying to figure out how to get all these calc and physics classes into my fall schedule... Im a political science major, so calc and physics aren't exactly my strongest areas. I'm looking at SWO, Intel, and Supply.

fusu

redsox,

I was picked up swo and intel without calc or phys, so don't sweat it too much.

flyboy

Information Warfare Ensign
I'm BDCP Pilot and I don't need any of these classes for the program to qualify for OCS....but I do need basic physics for my degree. Nothing from the Navy says I have to have the class though. I would suspect that if SNAs aren't required to have it, neither would SWOs.

Lucy

cbump- Depending on the NRD the websites can be really out of date. You'll be good to go without the calcs/physics.

cbump

Thank you Lucy. That is great news as I was scrambling trying to figure in an extra 5 classes. 5 because at my school trig is a prerequisite for calculus.

Lucy

No worries. I think I would have had to add..at least 7...I think, maybe 8 if that was the requriement. O.O