• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAI's...circa 1953

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Really nice. Beats the hell out of the constant anal intrusions of today.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
So every time I did the helo dunker, I got all F*d up as soon as the thing flipped upside down. What do you do to keep your SA when you go inverted (not to mention rolling at the same time)???

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
So every time I did the helo dunker, I got all F*d up as soon as the thing flipped upside down. What do you do to keep your SA when you go inverted (not to mention rolling at the same time)???

Going upside down in an airplane is nothing like going upside down in the helo dunker. First, you're in control, or the IP is demoing, two, you know whats coming because you've briefed it or studied it, three you can actually see what is happening.

jtmedli

pilot

Yeah I have that problem when doing Barrel Rolls also. Loops, Wingovers, and aileron rolls don't do it to me like the old Barrel Roll and Spins. I come out of the Maneuver with little to no idea of my heading (I'm also doing this with no DG, just a mag compass in the Citabria).

EDIT: Great videos though. Actually helps seeing the maneuver from the outside and inside at the same time like that.

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot

You pick a linear feature on the ground like the shore or road and use that as a reference line. If I remember right, for a barrel roll you also pick a 90 degree visual checkpoint in the direction of the roll. Keeping G's on the aircraft helps you stay un-F*d.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I happened across a few training videos from a few years back that I thought were pretty interesting. It's surprising how little changes... I think LTJG A4's and ENS Catmando are in the second video. :D
Hey, A4s may have been there, old codger he is. But I was still in 1st grade in 1953! :)

And I think they were still showing those old vids when I went through Pensacola over a decade later.

Anyway, while I was terrible at (and hated... but appreciated) the helo dunker (that didn't appear in NavAv until I was what some here affectionately call a "hinge"), and I was terrible in ground school, I thankfully found I had some unknown and latent ability to fly.

Nevertheless, those videos are of props.... and they needed coordinated rudders. I never could master that. Jets were easy and needed no rudders. At least until years later, when I learned ACM*. ;)
(*Air Combat Manuevering)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

For me, the most disorienting maneuver was barrel rolls. I found it easier to stay outside of the cockpit as much as possible. As long as you have your landmarks, you won't get lost. But if you look into the cockpit, then look back outside and can't find them, good luck.

Plus, I think inverted is easier in a plane than the dunker because you are still able to breathe. Knowing you have oxygen for your next breath is comforting.:D

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
For me, the most disorienting maneuver was barrel rolls. I found it easier to stay outside of the cockpit as much as possible. As long as you have your landmarks, you won't get lost. But if you look into the cockpit, then look back outside and can't find them, good luck.

Plus, I think inverted is easier in a plane than the dunker because you are still able to breathe. Knowing you have oxygen for your next breath is comforting.:D

Really? For me, the most disorienting maneuver (in primary) was instrument flying.

SIM IP: "Where the FUCK are you going Josh??"

ME: "Uh... the wrong way apparently..."

I'd then be flipping approach plates and look up to find myself inverted, hoping to right myself before the sim instructor noticed I was doing aerobatics while IMC....

Primary was rough. :D

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Those videos are more useful than the CAI's I've clicked through.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Really? For me, the most disorienting maneuver (in primary) was instrument flying.

SIM IP: "Where the FUCK are you going Josh??"

ME: "Uh... the wrong way apparently..."

I'd then be flipping approach plates and look up to find myself inverted, hoping to right myself before the sim instructor noticed I was doing aerobatics while IMC....

Primary was rough. :D

I had some really rough RI sims, too. I had one with a new female sim instructor. She didn't even know how to operate the sim, not sure why she was instructing solo yet. Anyhow, between her not knowing what she was doing, and me not knowing what I was doing, it was an interesting hop haha.

I think at one point she had frozen me for like 10 minutes and I thought I was on course staight and level.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
1. But I was still in 1st grade in 1953! :)
2. And I think they were still showing those old vids when I went through Pensacola over a decade later.
3. .... coordinated rudders. I never could master that. Jets were easy and needed no rudders. At least until years later, when I learned ACM*. ;)
(*Air Combat Manuevering)

1. Ditto .... 'cept I was repeating 1st grade for the 4th time ... :)

2. Ditto ....

3. Not so ditto ... I learned rudders quite by accident ... when slipping into a field in the C-150 and later when killing altitude during PPELs in the T-34 up over 4-Silo Farm -- and still later in jets -- while correcting from an Instructor-induced extremely acute position on the RDVS bearing line ... funny ... as the Instructor (a plowback who did not speak 'rudders') said something to the effect of: "How in the hell did you do that ... ???"

Becoming rudder-conversant later paid big dividends even as a STUD in ACM stage, as many of the instructors were ATTACK Pukes and/or plowbacks and did not 'speak rudder' And of course, hardly any STUDs did, either .... which is 'nice' if you're being graded against them. :)

HuggyU2

None
Seeing as I'm going to get checked out in an SNJ, I was going to buy these videos from an online source. If you can find the other 5, I won't have to! Yes, I'm a cheap-ass pilot.
Speaking of rudders, I flew a Great Lakes today for the first time. My rudder technique needs improvement.
Perfect practice makes perfect.

blackbart22

pilot
Going through advanced training in ADs, rudder control became critical very quickly. Since the first flight that you got to manipulate the controls was a solo four plane, there wasn't much room for error. Your left arm became connected to your right foot. When one went forward, so did the other. Everytime.
Oh, yeah, the first grade. Wasn't that the year Tojo bombed Ford Island?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I had some really rough RI sims, too. I had one with a new female sim instructor. She didn't even know how to operate the sim, not sure why she was instructing solo yet. Anyhow, between her not knowing what she was doing, and me not knowing what I was doing, it was an interesting hop haha.

I think at one point she had frozen me for like 10 minutes and I thought I was on course staight and level.

She was in my RIGS class when she first started. Woman has had quite an interesting career......she was actually teaching windsurfing for 6 months or something out at Port A until the Army got wind of it (she was/is med down for injuries sustained flying Chinooks in Afghanistan)