• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Caculating Time in Service - BDCP

docwaring

Pro Rec'd BDCP/SNA
Ok, so I looked and did not find, therefore I post.

I did the National Call to Service (NCS, the worst contract the Navy ever created) so I did 26 months of AD and I now have 3 years of SelRes time. I got picked up for BDCP-SNA and I have 2 calendar years until I graduate.
I am trying to figure out how many years I will have in towards retirement when I finish school or more to the point when I finish Flight training and the 8 year commitment after that. My guess is that it won't be as simple as 2+3+2+10=17, but if everything that I have done got counted as a calendar year towards retirement, that's what it would be.
So... Anybody got any ideas? Thanks!

navy09

None
3 years in SELRES doesn't equate to 3 full years for retirement purposes. You get points for your drill periods...or something like that. Someone smarter than me should be by to elaborate.

boobcheese

I believe your SelRes time will count as time in service for pay purposes (O-1E >6yrs at time of commissioning) but will not count towards retirement (2+2+10=14).

docwaring

Pro Rec'd BDCP/SNA
(2+2+10=14).

I'm pretty sure that SelRes time would count for something. Maybe more like 2+1+2+10=15. Are you/we sure that the 2 years in BDCP counts towards retirement? or is it more like 2+1+10=13 (+7 for retirement +2 after retirement from BDCP)? That's really my biggest question here. Thanks for the input guys.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
I'm pretty sure that SelRes time would count for something. Maybe more like 2+1+2+10=15. Are you/we sure that the 2 years in BDCP counts towards retirement? or is it more like 2+1+10=13 (+7 for retirement +2 after retirement from BDCP)? That's really my biggest question here. Thanks for the input guys.

You're talking about at least three different things here. AFAIK, time in service for the purpose of longevity pay raises continues to run as long as you have a military affiliation (active duty, SELRES, IRR, whatever). It will only stop if you have a break in service.

For a reserve retirement, only "good" years in which you have earned at least 50 points per anniversary year will count towards the 20 years that you need to have to qualify for retired pay and other bennies.

For an active duty retirement, you need to accumulate a total of 20 years of active service. Mobilizations to active duty while in a reserve status will count towards this time, as will ADSW and AT/ADT time. Drill periods are not active service and therefore will not count. My understanding of BDCP is that when you are in this program, you are considered to be on active duty, so that obviously helps.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
For an active duty retirement, you need to accumulate a total of 20 years of active service. Mobilizations to active duty while in a reserve status will count towards this time, as will ADSW and AT/ADT time. Drill periods are not active service and therefore will not count. My understanding of BDCP is that when you are in this program, you are considered to be on active duty, so that obviously helps.
BDCP counts toward retirement? So one could retire after 18 instead of 20 following commissioning if he/she took full advantage of BDCP?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
BDCP counts toward retirement? So one could retire after 18 instead of 20 following commissioning if he/she took full advantage of BDCP?

I don't see why not. Here's what (admittedly) little I know about BDCP: you're considered on active duty, getting active duty pay, allownaces and benefits (medical/dental), and your full time job is to go to school and maintain a minimum GPA. You are accruing time in service. As I'm sure you know, 20 years active duty time for retirement doesn't have to mean 20 commissioned years. Based on my limited knowledge of BDCP, I could very well be wrong, but an exclusion to using BDCP time for retirement purposes would have to be somewhere in writing. And unlike USNA and ROTC, Navy is not paying your tuition bills. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me about the program can provide a more definitive answer.

docwaring

Pro Rec'd BDCP/SNA
Now we are getting some where! Do we have anybody out there that can corroborate OnTopTime's brilliant commentary?