• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

C-130 to Replace E-6B?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We could have a poll on here for the new platform for TACAMO Mk III

EC-17
ES-3 (not the old Shadow... it would be something else)
EH-60 (throwaway COA)
EP-8
EV-22 (not tied to obvious deployment sites that are on adversary country targeting lists)
EMQ-4

I think the last one has merit. Put all the moles up there in the mission module and let the pilots fly it from an air conditioned trailer somewhere in Nevada.
You forgot the answer to everything: EF-35. ???

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
If I recall, that was the part. What is it that is causing them to fail fleet wide and why is it so expensive or burdensome?
It's basically part of the structure the gear is attached to. It can start to crack over time. Mx inspects it on regular intervals and we are supposed to give it a look during preflight, but it's pretty hard to see, much less identify cracking on a preflight. @insanebikerboy may have read more about it than I have...

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
They've been fixing them so...

190711-F-EM228-0001.JPG

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It's basically part of the structure the gear is attached to. It can start to crack over time. Mx inspects it on regular intervals and we are supposed to give it a look during preflight, but it's pretty hard to see, much less identify cracking on a preflight. @insanebikerboy may have read more about it than I have...

Yup, never seen one cracked but I look every preflight.

My guess is that the E-6B is so expensive to fix because there are so few of them. It’s the same reason the USAF is shitcanning the KC-10, smaller fleet so cost per plane is through the roof.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'll note I didn't comment on how well that plan has been working, just that it is The Plan.

Gotcha.

One of the ironies with the P-8 is that some VQ-1 guys went down to Boeing in the mid-late 90's and worked with them to see how to make a 737 into a military aircraft that could do the EP-3 mission, that supposedly helped them down the road when when they put the 737 in for the P-3 replacement. I know the EP-3 guys going to Boeing was for reals, the rest is a bit of VQ lore that probably is a mixture of fact and fiction.

Last edited: