• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BZ to the Ace

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
…and on brand… all the fighter dude’s buttholes suddenly get hurt…

…From the same crowd that thinks admin and cooks on a ship deserve CARs and DFCs for shooting 3 small ass boats.

Not this fighter guy. Good on the Marine. Whether it’s a manned airplane that can shoot back, or an explosive-laden drone that can blow up your buddies, it counts- as it should.

Fuck the Houthis.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
The fact it was a harrier dude makes it even more hilarious.

…and on brand… all the fighter dude’s buttholes suddenly get hurt…

…From the same crowd that thinks admin and cooks on a ship deserve CARs and DFCs for shooting 3 small ass boats.
Easy there pumpkin, you'll give yourself a stroke with that kind of energy.

If a Raptor dude shoots down 5 "weather" balloons are they an Ace?

Shooting something out of the sky that can't shoot back or do you harm? That's called target practice. Same way you don't get anything special for dropping bombs or shooting the gun in Afghanistan.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Same way you don't get anything special for dropping bombs or shooting the gun in Afghanistan.
Well…the F-22 guy did offer a triumphant “Splash One!”

And…no Air Medals were given in Afghanistan?

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Well…the F-22 guy did offer a triumphant “Splash One!”

And…no Air Medals were given in Afghanistan?
We received one extra point for each time we employed on a mission.

I'm not trying to minimize what this dude did, just not going to call him an Ace. And if this was me on the other end I wouldn't expect to be called an Ace either. Imagine meeting an actual Ace, lets say from Vietnam, and trying to explain to him how you deserve the same recognition.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
ACE. No doubt in my mind. Title earned.

More importantly I think, for our heritage and history - of Naval Aviation - he is an Ace. Heritage to show that Naval and Maritime security matter, history to inspire the 12 year old right now reading about this Marine's accomplishment.

Put his picture in the Hall of Aces at the Naval Aviation Museum ASAP!

As a side note, this issue was raised in the book Red Storm Rising when the female F-15 pilot killed 5 Soviet satellites with ASAT missle. I believe Mr. Clancy agreed she was an Ace and he would today in this case.

Doom on you Mr. Houthie!!!!!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
We received one extra point for each time we employed on a mission.

I'm not trying to minimize what this dude did, just not going to call him an Ace. And if this was me on the other end I wouldn't expect to be called an Ace either. Imagine meeting an actual Ace, lets say from Vietnam, and trying to explain to him how you deserve the same recognition.
I understand. That said I think the operators of the boat drone that sank the Caesar Kunikov deserve the “tonnage” credit any submarine crew would get.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

Shooting something out of the sky that can't shoot back or do you harm? That's called target practice. Same way you don't get anything special for dropping bombs or shooting the gun in Afghanistan.

Great comment. I’m glad we both recognize the institutional hypocrisy when we see it.

This is also the same forum that almost had an aneurysm over Harriers getting new radars and AMRAAM years ago.

skybert

Skybert
Top Gun:Earl will be out in about 5 years. The dramatic end will involve a shit-hot break at the LHD (unbeknownst the Houthis have jammed the Tower Flower/LSO freq). Earl successfully turns his water switches on while abeam, plants it on spot 9. Deck crew swarms him.

Box office gold.
The world NEEDS another hot shots right now

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Admitting that, as a helo bubba, I have little-to-no cred to weigh in here, but doing so anyway:

It seems to me that modern warfare has caused a schism between the definition and purpose/meaning of "ace." I think the underlying idea was that an ace survived 5× 1v1 air combat events or 1 or more many-v-many, etc. and killed 5 enemy fighters in the process. Five kills defines "ace" because kills are a measurable stat. Don't confuse the metric with the essential idea or goal (there's a great short book on this: The Tyrrany of Metrics).

I think "ace" is a complex idea encapsulating the inherent danger and odds of dying in air combat. "Ace" signifies the 2- or 3-sigma of fighter skills... someone with such a record it couldn't possibly be from luck alone.

If I successfully killed 5 subs with torpedoes, it would certainly be highly improbable and notable, but not because I survived -- most subs can't do anything about aircraft, so it's one-sided. It'd be like giving an artillery crew some form of "ace" for killing infantry units.

I'm in the drone kills don't count for Ace crowd.