• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bye Bye Guns... sniff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

As of October, CTW-2 won't be teaching a gun syllabus to students any more. Thats good because it shortens training time by some, but bad because guns are cool. But its good because the T-45 has no gun, but bad because you won't have any gun experience when you get to the rag. Also, the E2/C2 pipeline is moving to Kingsville in December and they will be flying the T-45. Now we need more planes.

Honk if you demand satisfaction.

Ray

They are sending a weps det from Kingsville to El Centro next month. I hope I get to go on one. I didn't know there was a range in KS. Are those arresting gear going to be rigged all the time? Or is it emergency/special request sort of thing.

Edited by - Ray on 09/13/2002 08:56:46

Jack

Guys, this may sound really nat's-assed but we really shouldn't be posting specifics about FUTURE, PLANNED, UPCOMING events, i.e. Dets. It may not seem like anything, but somewhere on the books there is a rule and all it takes is someone to scroll through here and decide to shut John and the rest of the website down.

The Smokey hills range is a nice facility. I dropped there early this year. The triangulated/camera spotting is a nice touch. The only problem is their equipment spits out hits in meters from bull. So you may roll in, pickle, and have a 30 @ 1 called out, thinking you're hot stuff... well thats really 90 feet, but i guess if you're playing with 500, 1000, and 2000 pound bombs that's close enough?

jack

Edited by - Jack on 09/13/2002 13:47:17

Jack

quote:
As of October, CTW-2 won't be teaching a gun syllabus to students any more. Thats good because it shortens training time by some, but bad because guns are cool. But its good because the T-45 has no gun, but bad because you won't have any gun experience when you get to the rag.

The loss of the gun sylabus may hurt studs in some areas, but it wont be in how to kill someone with a cannon. The gun pattern, and correct me if I'm wrong Frumby, has very little to do with putting rounds in someone's ass and more to do with not putting your jet into your buddies. Basically, its a forum for teaching 3D situational awareness in a multi aircraft enviornment.

I did the gun sylabus in the T-2 while in Meridian. Only a few of the jets actually had gunsights in them and we rarely even turned them on because it usually didn't work. Like I said, it has more to do with trying to expand your fledgling SA bubble and much less to do with rounds through the bad guy.

jack

Edited by - Jack on 09/14/2002 20:53:10

Ray

Ya, my bad about the det thing. I heard about the gun pattern in China Lake while I was there in May. Something like a Z or box pattern? I don't remember that well. Sounded tough on the old body though.

Jack

The gun pattern that was taught using the T-2C was more of a 3D figure eight. The target was a banner towed behind another T-2, this one designated the 'tractor'.

The Z diagram that you probably heard about or saw has to do with air to ground work. It is a way of presenting all the pertinent information about the type of attacks you are going to make. It includes dive angle, desired TASpeeds, RADALT settings, tip in alt, checkpoint alt, and weapons release altitude. I defer all air to mud questions to the resident expert, Frumby.

Jeff

To my understanding the Gun syllabus was taken out at the request of the RAGs, and replaced with some additional TACForms and ONAVs. I am dissappointed that we will not get to do it either, but for anyone who gets one of the last T-2 slots will still get a gun phase.

beau

Speaking of T-2s, when are they(or are they) switching completely to T-45's? Are they staying in MS?

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Jeff

Actually the first T45C TS class for VT-9 is in ground school right now and they have stopped classing TS in VT-7 for the time being, so there is not to much time left in the T-2. Someone in Vt-9 probably knows a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.