• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Buying watch for Marines OCS and beyond

green air

Are you allowed to wear watches at Marines OCS? I had the impression it was, but I just wanted to double check with everyone here (this is my first post, but I've been reading around for a while). I was also wondering what people would recommend wearing for OCS, TBS, flight school, and beyond, even though I haven't really thought past OCS.

I haven't worn a watch in the past 6 years after destroying my last watch playing backyard football, and the previous ones I wore didn't last more than a few months each. So I'm considering a G-Shock Mudman since it's supposed to keep that Quantico mud out and be practically unbreakable. I was also thinking about the solar powered version since I'm sure changing out the batteries might break the seal on the regular version, but the solar version's more expensive and the reviews don't seem to be as great.

I'd prefer an analog watch though but haven't found one I really like that I can cough up the money for right now. Anyone have any recommendations for something that'll take a pounding in OCS and TBS and maybe carry through flight school?

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Bring a watch. You won't wear it unless you get put in a billet like Platoon Commander or Platoon Sergeant or such. Also, make sure it's masculine/tactical. We had a guy that had a bright blue watch and he caught hell all the way through. Also, I wouldn't bring a too terribly expensive one since you are gonna be out in the mud with it.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
True, you won't be able to use a watch all the time at OCS, but its still important to have one for when you do. I have an analog G-shock that takes a beating pretty well, and has functions that are useful for aviation like a digital time display for zulu time hacks and a stopwatch. Not too fancy, but practical.

Attachments

• 81d6dbbd91c93dfb26130fa08f2b569e.jpg
    81d6dbbd91c93dfb26130fa08f2b569e.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 144

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Pick up a Timex with a leather strap. They're around 25 bucks or so and serve your purposes just fine at OCS. The earliest I remember having mine was as a corporal at Corporals Course because I got bitched at because of it beeping. I have worn it since during every run, and took it to OCS. I kept it in my pocket when I wasn't allowed to wear it (sticking it to the man) so it got beat on pretty hard. I'm wearing it as I type. So it's about 6 years old.

I'd say it is pretty durable for 20 bucks.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I have one of those G-shock solar powered watches. I bought it from Walmart for about $40. Like Mike said, keep it cheap so if it does bust its no biggie (most likely the only part that is going to break is the band, not the watch itself). Been a great watch, no real issues. The only back thing is that it sits pretty high off my wrist and I remember it getting caught on and pulled on at TBS quite a bit. I know the Timex that Mike was talking about sits more flush, might be a better way to go.

I always like having a second time zone set to Zulu in case I forget the time adjustment wherever I am at, and this feature is usually always available on even the cheapest watches. You also want to make sure it has some kind of backlight, but once again this is kinda a standard feature on most watches.

PigzFly

Does anyone have any experience with Tissot? They seem pretty cool, and are swiss made, but they are quite expensive. Not something to wear at OCS or TBS, but maybe afterward. They are multi function with features like compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, and others. Seems like a piece that could be something of interest for aviators.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I'm a big fan of Luminox for a field watch. I received the following model as a Christmas present prior to reporting to TBS and its been great. I'll definitely get another should this one ever fail. Might be a bit overkill for OCS considering you won't get to use it much however.

8401_lg.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
but maybe afterward. They are multi function with features like compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, and others. Seems like a piece that could be something of interest for aviators.

Don't know about the brand, but my aircraft already has a compass, altimeter, barometer, and thermometer.:icon_wink

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Oops. No, I don't, I just retyped the laundry list. It just seems like a useless piece of gear, anyway. My knowledge of barometry is along the lines of, "Ooh, barometer's falling, must be raining soon..."

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Seems to me that if you know your field elevation, you can get your pressure.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Does anyone have any experience with Tissot? They seem pretty cool, and are swiss made, but they are quite expensive. Not something to wear at OCS or TBS, but maybe afterward. They are multi function with features like compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, and others. Seems like a piece that could be something of interest for aviators.
Sounds like you are talking about the Tissot T-Touch. A nice watch in its many iterations, but a lot of that stuff is superfluous for aviation (but if you go hiking/mountain climbing, etc. it may work for you). Tissot does make some nice entry-level swiss sport watches.

Ryan Cunningham said:
I'm a big fan of Luminox for a field watch. I received the following model as a Christmas present prior to reporting to TBS and its been great. I'll definitely get another should this one ever fail. Might be a bit overkill for OCS considering you won't get to use it much however.
I've been meaning to pick up this type of watch as a good all around "beater"...however, I'm more partial to Traser watches than Luminox, as their dials are a little more sterile.

Ufoz8mycow

Awesome.
Pretty much anything G Shock youll be fine with... I have one G Shock that Ive had for about 8 years that has taken more beating than anything I've ever owned and its still going strong. As for replacing batteries, most places are able to reseal your watch so none of the waterproof stuff is compromised.