• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Buying a Piper Cub

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I'm an O-4, so I couldn't handle the intra-service labotomy required to become a Lt Cdr.

I would like to land on a boat sometime with a jet, though. Just don't wanna stay there afterward. Cat shot would be pretty cool as well.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Hacker,

I think I had you covering me OCONUS a month or so back...

Not very likely. I haven't flown for sh*t in the last month because I'm a Wing Staff puke in charge of preparing my wing for an upcoming inspection. I'm logging sh*tloads of PowerPoint time, though.

I flew a bunch in October, though, and before that I was in Bagram for the summer. Where was this event that you speak of?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All right, calm down. Terminate, 1 terminate.

It's all in good fun, my man -- not making any personal attacks here. People dish it my way pretty thick -- yourself included. Yet when I make a defensive threat reaction, it's out of bounds?

Come on...

EDIT: By the way, if you're concerned about this 'Flathatter' junk, I'm more than happy to PM my .mil address to the mods so they might check me out.

Hacker was already checked out and he is who he purports to be....he's part of "service" website exchange program wherein mods from Baseops frequent here and vice versa in aftermath of last Poser Hunt that involved Mods from several sites to bring to a conclusion. Hacker and Huggy are both welcomed and valued "regulars" and fair game for good natured service rivalry antics, but please keep it at level of normal Ready Room civilty.

Jeff Goldstein

pilot
For engine failures in a light twin, doesn't the second engine take you to the crash scene?
As a USN Flight Instructor at NAS Milton (near Pensacola) I got my ATP in a Seneca I (checkride). A real "pig" on one engine. Would only climb 500'/min if 1/3 ball away and wing tilted toward good engine. If you can't do that, it may not fly level for long, either. As a former USN Pilot flying S2's with plenty of power, and other twins, this was a real eye opener!

Further, on my first takeoff (Seneca I) from Pensacola airport with the FAA Instructor, he pulled the mixture on the takeoff roll. Wow, I really didn't expect this, so of course I aborted the takeoff roll. I was so surprised he shut the engine down, I asked him if this was standard in the civilian world (certainly not in the military world I was used to). He said yes, and further, several others had attempted to fly on one engine. Of course these immediately failed the FAA Checkride.

Bottom line, you should practice single engine flying to stay proficient, etc. Not overconfident, but comfortable if it happens. I was very good single engine in the S2, C1, both aircraft with 9 cylinder 182o cubic inch engines. Plenty of power to climb and fly a while.

I have more stories, if you're interested.

Jeff Goldstein

pilot
I'm an O-4, so I couldn't handle the intra-service labotomy required to become a Lt Cdr.

I would like to land on a boat sometime with a jet, though. Just don't wanna stay there afterward. Cat shot would be pretty cool as well.
It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.... daytime!
Nightime... much scarier!! Not as much fun by a long shot.
I was in for 21 years and retired O4. I'll never forget my first solo flight to the ship in the T28. I still remember my Landing Signal Officer (LSO "Paddles") with his "Powah" (power) call to me. Kick ass time!!

brownshoe

Contributor
It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.... daytime!
Nightime... much scarier!! Not as much fun by a long shot.
I was in for 21 years and retired O4. I'll never forget my first solo flight to the ship in the T28. I still remember my Landing Signal Officer (LSO "Paddles") with his "Powah" (power) call to me. Kick ass time!!

Must have been the Lex! Heck I was probably there working the deck for VA44 quals. :)