• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Buying a gun safe.. Need ideas

Incenter12

Go Blue
pilot
Check out Diamondback Safes. 1 hour at 1250deg isn't quite up to what has been stated above but the construction is pretty awesome. 10 1.5" steel lugs and some pretty thick metal all leading to 700lbs of awesomeness isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The quick smash and grab burglars aren't going to touch a safe that's going to take any effort to get out of the house.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So I've perused this and the other safe thread, Googled a bunch of web hits, and visited a couple of stores... I need to do some more research on Sturdy, since it's recommended above, but besides that brand, I think I've narrowed down the choices to the following (and welcome your thoughts):

These are 60" and either 40" wide or ~30" wide dealies.

Fort Knox:

PROS: well respected, good fire rating, secure
CONS: Expensive, "only" 31" wide

American Security (either the 60x30 or the 66x36):

PROS: Seems like a solid safe, decent fire rating, fairly wide if I get the 66" model, less expensive than the other two, comes stock with door hanging stuff including two rifle mounts
CONS: Don't know a whole lot about the safe other than that AmSec is "everywhere" and has great customer service

Browning Medallion M39:

PROS: Nice and wide...plenty of growing room, good locking mechanism, I like the extra room to hang rifles in the door which increases total number of guns that can be stored
CONS: Expensive (almost as much as the Ft. Knox), can't really get a warm fuzzy on how thick the door actually is

My main concern is fire first, then theft as a second. Where I live now, it will have to live in the garage, in a vestibule that's out of sight from the driveway. I plan to put a dehumidifier in there. The garage is not my first choice, but so goes it since I'm renting a townhome.

So any thoughts on the AmSec versus the others? AmSec and Ft. Knox seem to get good reviews online, but I can't find much on the Browning. One guy complained about the shelves sagging after a year, other than that, it's the standard "I bought 'x' safe and it's great!"

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless we were outtatown, the best bed safe I ever had were a 12 guage, combined with our 80lb. and 95lb. big dogs that liked to try to sneak - and too often did - into our bed if they could... but would kill to defend us.

And if that were not enough, my wife could be even more if need be ... a dog let loose from hell!

Renegade One

None
I'm looking for ideas.. I'd like to buy a safe and be good for a while, so I am looking at a 20 gun as the smallest.
Get one twice as big as you think you will need. You WILL NEED IT over time. I'd recommend the garage, assuming it has a thick concrete slab base. Installers will drill and drive long concrete bolts for rigid security. Humidity is easily taken care of by any of the means described above...I keep a small plastic bucket of dessicant crystals in the safe, along with what I call a "Bullfrog" sheet...anti-rusting stuff. I'm sure both go by many brand-names. Never had an issue. Except for size...I was "over max" within a year.

MasterBates

Well if anyone were going to try, I think the originator of the King Cat would be the one...

I have a room in my basement that I may be fortified into a gun vault. Trying to get a good grasp on how long I will be in Casper, and seeing if the work to benefit ratio makes sense.

Have a decent size safe that is hidden in the main level for now.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get bigger than you think you'll need.
Do you have neighbors that would notice a wrecker backed up to your garage? I do so a very heavy garage safe works well for me.
This is what i have. Heavy steel, ~3/8" or more as far as I can tell. It took five guys to get it out of a Dodge Durango and move it in place. It's got nowhere to grab onto it and has contoured corners.

It's not going anywhere without an extraordinary effort that my neighbors will see.
Picture003.jpg

Here it is a few years later...
8586f2e0.jpg

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I have a room in my basement that I may be fortified into a gun vault. Trying to get a good grasp on how long I will be in Casper, and seeing if the work to benefit ratio makes sense.

Have a decent size safe that is hidden in the main level for now.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

It's funny you say that, because the wife and I are about to--pun intended--pull the trigger on finishing our basement, and we have an odd dogleg that my wife suggested I modify for use as fortified gun storage. Jokingly, I told her that I was thinking about cutting a trap door and excavating a sub basement for just that, and she liked the idea. I knew I married her for a reason.

MasterBates

Hah. If my fiancee only knew of the vault room.

Seriously, I keep on discovering new stuff in this place that's not on the prints. I'm up to three found guns on the property.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Seriously, I keep on discovering new stuff in this place that's not on the prints. I'm up to three found guns on the property.

I read this and really wanted to get excited for you, that maybe you'd find a rare gun stashed away or a bucket of gold duloons squirreled away by a previous owner.

Then I realized: you're MasterBates. It's more likely you'll find a body and your house will turn into a crime scene and you'll end up getting incarcerated.