• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Buy house in Hawaii?

Rg9

pilot
For those who have been stationed at K-Bay...

Since we could possibly be PCSing to Hawaii around January or so (depends what the great Navy says), I was wondering if it makes sense to buy a house there. I'll be making O-3 w/ dep pay starting May '09. What kind of price range would be reasonable to look at?

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
hicentral... Thats the best for sure. Married is a toss up. Single I would rent. You will be paying more on the southside of the island. Avoid anything West of H-3 unless its Aiea/Pearl City. Kahala with six people renting is insane. Kailua for the married folk can rent fairly decently, around 2k a month. A/C will be a luxury. Buying is just too damn expensive. Your looking at around 500k for anything 'livable'. Good luck, it's the most fun I ever had in Nav (so far)...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ah, Kailua.... rent is higher than the $2000 a month, a decent place is starting at $2900. Most of us in my current squadron that have been renting out in town have had questionable landlords, that are slow to repair and address any issues. That and rising electricity costs (my highest bill was $500) are other factors you need to think about. Window ACs are not the most economical options.

Recently we have had a couple wardroom members purchase homes on island. Each is VERY concerned about resale, and hoping to break even. Granted they are looking at selling within the next 9 months.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Ah, Kailua.... rent is higher than the $2000 a month, a decent place is starting at $2900. Most of us in my current squadron that have been renting out in town have had questionable landlords, that are slow to repair and address any issues. That and rising electricity costs (my highest bill was $500) are other factors you need to think about. Window ACs are not the most economical options.

Recently we have had a couple wardroom members purchase homes on island. Each is VERY concerned about resale, and hoping to break even. Granted they are looking at selling within the next 9 months.

How is the base housing on K-Bay?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How is the base housing on K-Bay?
CONS: Small (~1400sqft), old. They are currently tearing down the JO housing in phases, but no new units have been built yet on base for O1-O3. O4 has brand new housing on pond road, a couple ppl in my command live there.

PROS: Single stand alone unit, lawn and utilities are paid for. Majority of officer housing is a short walk to beach. 5 min drive to work, great for duty days and when you are duty pilot.

NUETRAL: Run by private venture now, in this case Forrest City. They are pretty proactive about fixing things.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That seems big from what I've seen in the BAH price range. Is that JO housing?
Yeah, 01-03 housing here is roughly 1400 sq ft. (KBAY) for a 3 bedroom. Ford Island, Camp Smith and the one across from HNL Int'l (can't recall the name) are all brand spanking new (< 3 years), and are (my guess) in the 1800 sqft range.

I was (past tense) renting a 4 bedroom house a block off of Kalama Beach in Kailua for $2900, it was around 2400 sq feet. It really, really hurt to lose that extra square footage... but I don't miss the $500+ electrical bill for HECO!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was (past tense) renting a 4 bedroom house a block off of Kalama Beach in Kailua for $2900, it was around 2400 sq feet. It really, really hurt to lose that extra square footage... but I don't miss the $500+ electrical bill for HECO!

You just need to tell the girls to turn off the AC once in a while.

Rg9

pilot
With the move, is there any DITY portion that you can do (either shipping it the whole way and getting paid, or bringing it to a port where the government ships it from)? If so, it could help pay to ship the extra vehicle and a little of the down payment if we do buy :).

Also, is it BAH or OHA there (found mixed things online), and if OHA, how does it work if you buy? Will the pay the max amount if your monthly payments exceed it?

Sorry for all my ignorance, but I appreciate the help.