• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bush Cagey on Future of JSF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
quote:Bush: JSF Maybe Not to Be?
Aero-News.net

Through a process of elimination, it looks as though the President certainly intends to get us all ready for the axing of at least one of the Pentagon's fighters. The short list is made up of the F/A-18E&F Super Hornet, the F-22 Raptor, and the JSF (Joint Strike Fighter).

In remarks made this week, the President said, "There are three potential fighters, and I think it is realistic for me, the president, to say to people that I'm not so sure we can afford all three. Maybe we can," he said, "but if not, let's pick the best one, and the one that fits into a strategy."

He added Tuesday evening that he had been personally lobbied by the USAF Chief of Staff, Gen. Michael Ryan, when he was at Tyndall AFB (FL). Ryan is keen on the F-22 Raptor, but Bush is being cagey. "But if it's as good an airplane as I think and fits into the strategic review, I'm confident that (Defense Secretary Donald) Rumsfeld will recommend them," he said, as if the SECDEF could make a final decision on the fighter without the President's agreement.

Former SECDEF, Vice President Dick Cheney, backed the F/A-18E&F and the Raptor during the campaign; and George W. himself publicly supported the Raptor last fall, while he was campaigning.

Add all that up, and it looks bleak for the very promising Boeing X-32 and Lockheed Martin X-35 JSF programs. The JSF contract award decision, if a contract is to be awarded, should be decided before the Autumn of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.