• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Build an airplane in 7 minutes

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Jolly Roger said:
Is it me or is that a really inefficient way to build an airplane that big?

I mean building the large sections all over Europe? Then shipping them to France to assemble? That seems more than a little inefficient, but I guess it has to be to satisfy the multinational feelings.
We do the same thing when awarding contracts for planes, (ie the B-1, JSF, F-22, B-2, F/A-18, F-111) the defense industry likes to spread out its facilities so that a program can not be cancelled because too many jobs across the nation depend on it.

Pork barreling leaves a bad taste in this voters mouth.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
raptor10 said:
We do the same thing when awarding contracts for planes, (ie the B-1, JSF, F-22, B-2, F/A-18, F-111) the defense industry likes to spread out its facilities so that a program can not be cancelled because too many jobs across the nation depend on it.

Pork barreling leaves a bad taste in this voters mouth.

Ahhh.....you are talking smaller components, i.e. avionics and engines. The airframe and skinning for those aircraft are done at one time at their respective factories. Not building the wings in NY, the forward fuselage in FL, the after half of the fuselage in AL, and then assembling it all in HI.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FA-18 Mousse said:
A4s...gotta disagree! French wine is way overrated. For my money, California and Australian reds are much better.
I have to agree to a certain extent, but it's kind of an apples and oranges thing. A great Pinot from California is going to be completely different from a French Burgundy which uses the same grape. While I do generally prefer US wines, there's something unique and wholesome about the old world stuff, each has their own place (usually in my gut). :D

Brett

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
If you like bolder reds, try a Shiraz or Cabernet from the Coonawara region in Australia. Either pairs very, very well with a nice grilled steak, and they're relatively inexpensive, which leaves more cash to buy that steak from Kobe.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Airbus incompetence has devolved into a discussion of wine ???

Well O.K. ... I like wine better than Airbus ... personally, I prefer full-bodied reds of Californian, Chilean, Australian, Italian, and French origins .... I used to like Washington State wines --- but they get most of their grapes from "offshore" nowdays --- go figure.

Maybe we should start an AW beer and wine forum ... since a lot of you will end up in the bottle in any case ..... :icon_rast

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Airbus is a piece-of-sh!t ..... all models, no excuses.
I have zero experience with either except in "cattle class" and plotting revenge on the kids in the seats behind me, but I digress. Maybe I missed one of your other posts, but out of curiousity, why is the Airbus a POS?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
webmaster said:
I have zero experience with either except in "cattle class" and plotting revenge on the kids in the seats behind me, but I digress. Maybe I missed one of your other posts, but out of curiousity, why is the Airbus a POS?
Short answer ... and one man's (?) opinion: ... poor quality control.

The things fall apart --- not so much engines, but the interiors and habitability/passenger areas. The mechanics agree ... when they are not on strike. :) The designs are also NOT pilot friendly ... again, my opinion, having sat in the respective seats -- Boeing and 'Bus. They -- 'Bus -- are even more so suffering from a desire to make a cheaper product than a current Boeing livery example. And that's my main complaint against current Boeing products. Lighter, cheaper, etc., etc. ... it would all be so simple if they could just make a kite do it all. ALSO ... I don't like the wing loading ... reminds me of Douglas commercial products ...

"We" have overcome the shortcomings inherent in "Bus" flight training by designing our OWN procedures and specifications ... at least to the degree we can ... and the FAA permitting. When I went to Concorde training (not completely germaine, I realize, but an example nonetheless) we got sent to France vice England as the Brits were busting 50% of our pilots and the Frogs were busting N-O-B-O-D-Y. :)

I am probably corrupted having flown the 747 and 727 for nearly 30 years ... :)