• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Buh-Bye, 7562s

phrogpilot73

I wonder if this'll provide Stinky with any relief from the rigors of the east coast air show circuit.
I doubt it. The only time the Reserves are healthy is when people are RIF'd, or when there isn't a war or two going on. Most people have the same attitude as you - if I've come this far, why not stick it out?

Right now people are either staying in, or getting out entirely. That's why 4th MAW is at 40-50% manning across the board. We've got TWO Captains in the squadron, and one of them is in his late 40's (has something like 15 years of broken time - and did a deploying FAC tour to demonstrate to MARFORRES/4th MAW that he was serious about coming back to the USMC and flying). I've tried to sell buddies of mine on how sweet the Reserves are, and no one is biting...

KBayDog

More chopper time for you, then. I've got too much AD time in to make IV MAW a worthwhile endeavor at this point. Besides, I'm digging my new job way too much.

On that note, I'm curious to see how the IV MAW Osprey squadrons are going to find qualified crews. From what I've seen, it looks like all of the experience base is "too old," and the young bucks are either getting out or staying in. I wonder is those squadrons are going to be primarily AD guys for a while?

KBayDog

Can't the USMC pull folks from IRR?

The Corps is prepping to shrink, not expand. As far as the Osprey dudes, their AD obligated service (as with most flying-types) brings them close to or over any time they would have obligated in the IRR.

phrogpilot73

On that note, I'm curious to see how the IV MAW Osprey squadrons are going to find qualified crews. From what I've seen, it looks like all of the experience base is "too old," and the young bucks are either getting out or staying in. I wonder is those squadrons are going to be primarily AD guys for a while?
I think that they're probably going to end up having to transition the whole squadron, regardless of years of commissioned service. Unless things change drastically, there's no way not to.

Can't the USMC pull folks from IRR?
Not many pilots are hanging out in the IRR. And 10USC dictates when you can pull people from the IRR. Plus, if a dude's hanging out in the IRR - it's likely no squadron really wants him... You "rush" squadrons in the Reserves.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The problem is that the number one priority is "everything."

Unfortunately, between all the transition squadrons in the current AVPLAN, we have to keep nearly 100% retention of V-22 pilots to keep the transition rolling. Normally EAS senior captains would be filling reserve slots, but that's not going to happen. Me? I'd slate no-kidding AD guys in the big 3/4 billets, transition about a third of the existing reserve pilots, put a bunch of mid-grade majors into the AR for the squadron core cadre, then blow the the few EAS 7532 captains you have as hard as you can to get them into the SMCR (reserve bonus, anyone?). This is from the POV of someone with little reserve exposure, but I can't see activating a reserve squadron for over a year for the sole purpose of transitioning them in the same model as an AD squadron.

phrogpilot73

Unfortunately, between all the transition squadrons in the current AVPLAN, we have to keep nearly 100% retention of V-22 pilots to keep the transition rolling. Normally EAS senior captains would be filling reserve slots, but that's not going to happen. Me? I'd slate no-kidding AD guys in the big 3/4 billets, transition about a third of the existing reserve pilots, put a bunch of mid-grade majors into the AR for the squadron core cadre, then blow the the few EAS 7532 captains you have as hard as you can to get them into the SMCR (reserve bonus, anyone?). This is from the POV of someone with little reserve exposure, but I can't see activating a reserve squadron for over a year for the sole purpose of transitioning them in the same model as an AD squadron.
Really, per our T/O there are only two AD slots - Site CO and Supply Officer/Fiscal. There are about 5-6 AR slots, and the rest are all SMCR. So in reality, all of the leadership (CO, XO, Dept Heads) are AD or AR guys. The problem is filling out the T/O on the Reserve side. There's already a $10K bonus to affiliate for 3 years, and yet we're still at ~40% of our T/O for Reserve pilots, and we still can't get anyone to join our ranks. You're going to have to transition either the bulk of the 7562s in a Reserve squadron or blow those 7532's harder than I think you realize.

Of course, they still have to decide where our home is going to be (we'll be persona non grata at NS Norfolk once we transition), so I'm guessing it's going to happen AFTER I retire (in 2016).

KBayDog

Of course, they still have to decide where our home is going to be (we'll be persona non grata at NS Norfolk once we transition), so I'm guessing it's going to happen AFTER I retire (in 2016).

Until MARFORRES decides not to allow you to retire.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Really, per our T/O there are only two AD slots - Site CO and Supply Officer/Fiscal. There are about 5-6 AR slots, and the rest are all SMCR. So in reality, all of the leadership (CO, XO, Dept Heads) are AD or AR guys. The problem is filling out the T/O on the Reserve side. There's already a $10K bonus to affiliate for 3 years, and yet we're still at ~40% of our T/O for Reserve pilots, and we still can't get anyone to join our ranks. You're going to have to transition either the bulk of the 7562s in a Reserve squadron or blow those 7532's harder than I think you realize.

I'm just thinking that since the 7532 community has an excess of field grade, why not put them in a squadron where it matters a lot less? Right now, there are several high-qual IPs who are aging out of line squadrons if there is going to be any room for junior field grade/senior captains in key billets in those squadrons. Put some of them in the reserves as cadre, whether that be as AR or remaining in regular AD status. That would give breathing room until the usual crowd of malcontents quit and go to the reserves!

KBayDog

I'm just thinking that since the 7532 community has an excess of field grade, why not put them in a squadron where it matters a lot less? Right now, there are several high-qual IPs who are aging out of line squadrons if there is going to be any room for junior field grade/senior captains in key billets in those squadrons. Put some of them in the reserves as cadre, whether that be as AR or remaining in regular AD status. That would give breathing room until the usual crowd of malcontents quit and go to the reserves!

Looks like the Corps has other plans for said plopter drivers.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
"Selection" panel? More like, "Your choices are: Stabbing yourself in the junk for 3 years.....or you could apply for HMX."

phrogpilot73

Problem is, that really only takes care of about 10-12 majors... Unless the USMC changes our T/O - which I doubt they will. Save any involuntary RIFs, their hands are likely going to be tied.

"Your choices are: Stabbing yourself in the junk for 3 years.....or you could apply for HMX."
So in other words, nothing has really changed since I left AD...