• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Buffett visits Truman

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heyjoe,

That must have been an awesome time listening to an improptu Buffett unplugged concert while riding around a carrier in the carribbean. The only way to beat that would be actually sitting in a carribbean bar on teh beach with a few adult beverages and hearing him play. I have been to a few of his concerts and they are a blast, the tailgating is some of the best fun. Even non Buffett friends I have brought have come away really enjoying themselves

Not sure that beats it...anyone with cash can eventually get to a concert, but having him literally talking to you and appreciating what you do and then sitting on a tractor and strumming away was priceless. I was already a fan, I turned into a devotee. Even better was watching faces of the two troopers who came on the run with their guitars and got to sit in with him.

Rest of the det was a real letdown although we did get to fly a couple times and run the deck. A few guys hit Centurion status so we hosted a Centurion Party. The entire Sopwith Camel Det from all squadrons barely filled a Ready Room so we did in our Ready Room. We had a LCDR who tried to pull rank and jump on every BAGEX saying it was his right as senior guy aboard. I was Asst Ops and was actually sent to join them underway because we got word he was being a tyrant so OPs sent me with authority to write the schedule. Upon arrival, I heard all the stories of woe and saw the JOPA was in open revolt and decided he needed a lesson to improve morale. Our former skipper was OPS on America and knew him to be a NTAC so we arranged for his jet to be tied down while every other jet got launched. His pilot didn't mind because they had all suffered and he knew he'd get to hear him bitch and moan. He was such a jerk afterwards, I hatched another JOPA plot with concurrence of CV OPS yet again. On way back to Norfolk, I had the CAG LSO request our Ready Room for a Centurion party with Captain to award patches and thanking det for their service. I knew that would appeal to his ego and he bought it hook, line and sinker. We really did plan a Centurion Party and had a cake, bug juice and nachos. JOPA morale soared as we plotted the coup de grace. He had the Ready Room floor buffed and was nervous all day about the Captain's visit. We used the signal from The Sting to communicate behind his back. We got all the Air Wing bubbas in on it (almost all but that's later). Our HS-7 Det had a popcorn mess so I arranged to have enough popcorn for everyone and just before captain was to arrive, we staged a fight between two pilots who were former football players that always were giving each other body slams. On that cue, we then had everyone start throwing popcorn and joining the fight so it would be absolute bedlam when the door would open and "Attention on Deck called". I got a SWO who was roughly same size as Captain (Snuffy Smith) stand in for him. We figured our favorite hinge would blow a gasket, but have to stand at attention facing the front as our body double stomped to front of Ready Room know with each step that his career was over. It went off better than planned because word of good eats in a bored Air Wing brought a standing room only crowd. As the fight started and popcorn filled the air, the ones not privy to the Sting panicked and started for both doors. I had a ship's photographer recording the event and you can clearly see some green shirts in full panick goig for nearest exit. When popcorn totally covered the floor, I gave the signal for the "Captain" to enter. Our LCDR had grabbed a broom at that point and was yelling at everyone to stop fighting and he was ineffectively trying to sweep the popcorn up (one JO was walking behind filling in the cleared area with more popcorn). It was total mayhem when the "Attention on Deck" was called. He snapped to attention with the broom beside him like a rifle. The crunching of footsteps from the "Captain" from back to front of the Ready Room was all that was heard. Our Body Double had the OOD cap on and twirled at front of ready room and clapped his hands and said "So, I hear we have some new Centurions, Cap'n couldn't make it so he sent me down!" Our guy just stared start ahead with a bright red face looking like his blood pressure was at 3000 PSI. He didn't say anything, but swayed like he was going to faint. The CAG LSO broke the moment with his South Carolina drawl saying "Hey ___, don't you get it, you've been had!" He was totally befuddled and not very responsive, but we could see he was relieved and actually happy that the Captain rally wasn't there. We did award the patches and enjoyed the cake and nachos while our friend just sat in his chair in a trance. JOPA morale soared and it became a true saga still talked about today at reunions.

HJ
JOPA Morale Trouble Shooter
Have Popcorn
Will Travel

East

东部
Contributor
Great story!

Great story HJ
Thanx for sharing, there must be more where that's coming from!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JB's crash was in his first seaplane, a Lake Renegade. The Albatross was a replacement, but it's the one referenced in "Jamaica Mistaica".

Wonder how one gets nominated for that Honorary Naval Aviator thing? I figure Jimmy's as good a candidate as any...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wonder how one gets nominated for that Honorary Naval Aviator thing? I figure Jimmy's as good a candidate as any...

Here's a little insight from the most recent one, Hank Caruso. Note: only 27 so designated in 59 years meaning it's not an annual thing nor is it conferred lightly. It takes someone fairly senior to initiate action. I know from being friends with Hank that VADM Massenburg wrote the recommendation. That said, Jimmy's contributions and support of 20+ years comares to Hank's and fact he just did the Truman visit is right time to start a camaign to get 5th Fleet or another 3 star to write a letter (too bad Schnugg isn't over there still to whisper in someone's ear).

Nose

pilot
Here's a little insight from the most recent one, Hank Caruso. Note: only 27 so designated in 59 years meaning it's not an annual thing nor is it conferred lightly. It takes someone fairly senior to initiate action. I know from being friends with Hank that VADM Massenburg wrote the recommendation. That said, Jimmy's contributions and support of 20+ years comares to Hank's and fact he just did the Truman visit is right time to start a camaign to get 5th Fleet or another 3 star to write a letter (too bad Schnugg isn't over there still to whisper in someone's ear).

If you guys are looking for a 3-star to get the ball rolling - I'd recommend Boomer. He is buds with Buffet.