• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Budget cuts are being announced

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I'm waiting to hear about the P-8. So far it's all missile defense, ship building and some F-22 news.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Sec. Gates went through the budget in a checklist sort of fashion. Now hes just debriefing/Q&A..
I'll keep my eyes open for the actual budget on the net somewhere.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Good bye gold plated F-22! Production stopped at 187 mark, apparently sometime in 2011.

CH-53K, V-22, F-35B dodged any axes (or scalpels).

Bring on the BRONCO Sec Gates!!

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Bittersweet for those SWOs...55 LCSs but only 3 DDG-1000s?

That combined with the slowing of carrier production (whatever the hell that means) leads me to believe that they'll start to skew the commissioning of new officers towards the SWO community?

Dr. Gates not saying anything about the P-8s probably bodes well for the VPs...no news is good news, right?

What REALLY got my interest was his mention of a major renovation in the way that the Defense Department buys military stuff...what does that mean for the military contractor business? I certainly hope that the competitions that companies do are allowed to continue...competition breeds innovation, after all.

Anyways, my two cents. I didn't think there was anything that catastrophic in that briefing...

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Dr. Gates not saying anything about the P-8s probably bodes well for the VPs...no news is good news, right?

P-8 is healthy at the moment.

Anyways, my two cents. I didn't think there was anything that catastrophic in that briefing...

You don't work on VH-71, CSAR-X, TSAT, FCS, etc....

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
What REALLY got my interest was his mention of a major renovation in the way that the Defense Department buys military stuff...what does that mean for the military contractor business? I certainly hope that the competitions that companies do are allowed to continue...competition breeds innovation, after all.

Acquisiton is broke dick, and he and everyone else down the line knows it. I agree that competition is great, but there should be more rules in place to prevent this fucking unbelieveable political quagmire that the Air Force tanker deal has turned into. There are also currently some stupid rules concerning the treatment of minority owned and small businesses and going sole source when that might not be the best thing in the end.
The key is that they just need to be realistic. Contractors need to quit low-balling bids in order to win the contract when they know that costs are going to be WAY over their estimates and the requirements groups and end users need to quit gold plating their projects a la DD-2000 and F-22.
While I don't think that politicians will ever get their hands out of the acquisition business, there needs to be some sort of line drawn in the sand on how ridiculous things have become. I could give a flying fuck if my airplane was built in 132 separate congressional districts as long as it works, I get enough of them, and they don't cost the taxpayers more than they should.
Other countries have to look at the way we do business with acquisition and laugh their asses off. We are literally kicking our own asses.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I was floored to hear the final production projection for the F-35.....2400+??! Obviously it is over the course of the JSF lifetime but still, that is a huge number. I also like Sec. Gates use of the term "requirements creep"...hadn't heard that before, but it seems accurate.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm wondering what will become with the Presidential Helo Program now that it got axed. Granted, the -71 has spiraled out of control, but the VH-3 isn't getting any newer. Is it going to hang on, go OTS with VH-60s, or start a new competition?

Other countries have to look at the way we do business with acquisition and laugh their asses off. We are literally kicking our own asses.

That's a good point. You always hear,"..the US spends more on defense than the next 25 countries combined..." We're good, but not next 25 countries combined good. A lot of money is going down the crapper.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a good point. You always hear,"..the US spends more on defense than the next 25 countries combined..." We're good, but not next 25 countries combined good. A lot of money is going down the crapper.

That load of BS is getting old. Just because other countries do their budget differently, like China, doesn't mean they aren't spending a lot. The next 5 might be more realistic, and even then is stretching it.

And one the biggest things people fail to take into account, personnel costs. It is a helluva lot cheaper to pay a conscript from Sichuan or Volgograd than a US soldier, especially when you take into account medical and retirement costs.

Nothing personal Phrogdriver, just a lot of stupid going around when it comes to that subject.