• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brownshoes In Action Comics!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I loved this. I spent quite some time tonight laughing my ass off at these cartoons. Thank You Mr Ward Carroll. And for you Pax bubbas.....go check out the cartoonist's band. They play at Cheeseburger in Paradise all the time.

http://safetycenter.navy.mil/MEDIA/approach/brownshoes/default.htm

Ward is indeed like a real life Buckaroo Banzai. So there I was in first year as Editor of Approach magazine and I get this letter (this was Old School era circa 1987) from a bored JO on cruise asking me if I was interested in his doodling. Seeing an advanced sense of humor that I thought would appeal to JOs (the target audience for the most part) I wrote back saying that I'd run it if he'd commit to a regular feature and give me enough to always have several in production and tied to themes I was working. And so it began....of course, i had to figure out how to get it past our really old school Chief of Staff (all issues go through front office approval, but because there is a contractual timeline, I only needed CoS, Deputy or the Admiral). So I tactically waited until a day that only the admiral was present and personally showed it to him with a "Trust me, the JOs will LOVE it!"...(luckily, he was a fighter guy and not hidebound like his front office O-6s) and they di d love it so began the adventures of Dangerboy.

bsia.jpg

Ward is as irreverant as they come and has an advanced sense of humor. When it came time to search for my relief, the admiral asked what I thought and I replied "There is only one guy you should consider, Ward". The problem was he had already rolled to shore duty less than a year prior so it would take two waivers at highest level in PERS-43. That's when success of Dangerboy paid off. The flag officer who had to approve the waicvers was Jay Johnson and he was a Dnagerboy fan. No problemo. Ward got the job and Dangerboy thrived.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Dangerboy, Youthly Puresome, and Grampa Pettibone, the Triumvirate of classic cartoons of Naval Aviation.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Yep, Wards a funny guy. He instructed in VT-86 when I was there in 88. He worked in skeds IIRC and we'd get a strip on the sked occasionally.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I love those comics...he captures so much truth in just a few panels. Wish he had a larger output, or there was someone to take up the mantle and continue the strip. I'm pretty sure I've read 'em all.

And his "Punks War" books are definitely worth reading.

brownshoe

Contributor
Ward is indeed like a real life Buckaroo Banzai. So there I was in first year as Editor of Approach magazine and I get this letter (this was Old School era circa 1987) from a bored JO on cruise asking me if I was interested in his doodling. Seeing an advanced sense of humor that I thought would appeal to JOs (the target audience for the most part) I wrote back saying that I'd run it if he'd commit to a regular feature and give me enough to always have several in production and tied to themes I was working. And so it began....of course, i had to figure out how to get it past our really old school Chief of Staff (all issues go through front office approval, but because there is a contractual timeline, I only needed CoS, Deputy or the Admiral). So I tactically waited until a day that only the admiral was present and personally showed it to him with a "Trust me, the JOs will LOVE it!"...(luckily, he was a fighter guy and not hidebound like his front office O-6s) and they di d love it so began the adventures of Dangerboy.

bsia.jpg

Ward is as irreverant as they come and has an advanced sense of humor. When it came time to search for my relief, the admiral asked what I thought and I replied "There is only one guy you should consider, Ward". The problem was he had already rolled to shore duty less than a year prior so it would take two waivers at highest level in PERS-43. That's when success of Dangerboy paid off. The flag officer who had to approve the waicvers was Jay Johnson and he was a Dnagerboy fan. No problemo. Ward got the job and Dangerboy thrived.

I started reading Approach in the mid 60's when I was in 44, just loved the humorous way safety issues were driven home. After my discharge I continued with a subscription from GPO. I stopped my subscription in the early 90's, Approach was no longer fun to read, it had become very somber. (Musta become PC like the rest of the Navy. :) )

During the years when you and Ward Carroll were the editors the magazine was still upbeat, you two had a way to drive home the serious issues of the day in a manner that was easy and enjoyable to read. BTW... Hank Caruso is a 'stitch' I just love his caricatures! He too helped to make the magazine upbeat.

Now, Dave could you and Ward 'click your heels' and go back in time? As you can see, I've saved my old issues.

Steve

Attachments

• approach.jpg
    approach.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 27
  • sept88.jpg
    sept88.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 24